UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kizer details licensing steps for Belfort in NV

11/11/13 11:31 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Vitor Belfort, 36, has for the first time in UFC history won three fights in a row with head kicks. He will in all likelihood fight the winner of Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva II for the UFC middleweight championship. There is regular chatter on the Internet that Belfort will not receive a title shot as he would not be able to be licensed in the promotion's home state of Nevada, because of his use of Testosterone Replacement Treatment. As steroid abuse is linked with diminished natural levels of testosterone, and as Belfort tested positive for PEDs in Nevada in 2006, the Nevada State Athletic Commission would undoubtedly give him a very hard look.

That said, the belief that Belfort cannot be licensed in Nevada is false. UFC president Dana White addressed the issue Saturday night at the UFN 32 post fight press conference.

"That's not true, that's completely not true," said White "There is no reason why Vitor Belfort can't fight in Las Vegas or anywhere else in the United States. Vitor Belfort has not been abusing TRT. In a million f---ing years I would never let that happen.

"Vitor could fight in the United States now. There's no reason why he couldn't fight in Las Vegas, no matter what Keith Kizer says. He should be allowed to fight in Las Vegas. It's ridiculous."

The rumors that it would be impossible for Belfort to be licensed are indeed ridiculous - the NSAC licensed Josh Barnett to fight, subject to a year-long, random testing regimen, and Barnett has tested positive on three occasions, to Belfort's one.

However, like Barnett and a number of others, Belfort would have to appear before the NSAC board, and face questioning and potential further requirements. Receiving a Testosterone Use Exemption could be problematic, but would be considered. NSAC executive director Keith Kizer explains. 

"Due to his past, Mr. Belfort would need to go before the Commission if he applies for a TRT TUE," Kizer told MMAFighting. "This is not anything new. (For example, I would not administratively grant Antonio Margarito a contestant's license so he had to appear before the full Commission -- likewise, Dave Herman.)

"The Commissioners could grant (with or without condition), deny, or take other action on any such application."

When asked about the scenario on Monday, Kizer responded that he couldn't say what the outcome would be for certain, and that any final verdict, "would be up to the five Commissioners."

11/12/13 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This faux journalism blog piece is total bs.

You say, "That said, the belief that Belfort cannot be licensed in Nevada is false." and then proceed without explanation.

In real life, yes, he is not barred from competition, but you fail to mention that Keith Keizer has mentioned in the past...

"People in the media saying Vitor Belfort has a TUE from me, of course he doesn't," Kizer made clear in an interview with Damon Martin at BleacherReport.com.

"I don't see Vitor Belfort getting a TRT exemption from us. I really don't and I feel kind of bad for him in some ways because if he has learned from his mistakes and now he's trying to do it the right way and his levels are low with the treatment good for him and I hope he is doing that."

So at the very least you're taking Dana's statement and twisting it to be very misleading. At no point do you mention that he could be granted a license without having a TUE.

Is this supposed to pass for journalism these days. I mean, I only did a half second of googling to call you on your bullshit.

11/12/13 12:09 AM
MagSlim

You also failed to mention that Vitor defied his ban for his last steroid test failure and fought again in Nevada without penalty.

He failed after his fight on 9/26/07 with Dan Henderson for "4-hydroxytestosterone" and was suspended 9 months. Yet, he fought again in London on 4/21/07 in defiance of the NSAC ban.

The NSAC then dicktucked and gave him a license in spite of all this on 2/5/11 to fight Anderson. Could you not report this?????!!!??!!!?
11/12/13 12:10 AM
MagSlim

How about everyone refresh themselves and read this:

http://mmajunkie.com/2006/12/21/vitor-belfort-suspended-for-nine-months/
11/12/13 12:12 AM
ufc98newb
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The commission and the sport will lose a lot of credibility if Vitor gets a TUE. This Will say a lot about how much pull zuffa has with commission.

If Vitor gets a TUE, than everybody from Barnett to Overeem should get one.
11/12/13 12:17 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In other words, tell Dana to leave the briefcase in the lobby by the fountain. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 12:18 AM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - In other words, tell Dana to leave the briefcase in the lobby by the fountain. Phone Post 3.0

god dammit. i really thought the nsac would do the right thing here. it seems that they won't and will give him a steroid pass

11/12/13 12:37 AM
RJB
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Dana and Kizer are severely misinterpreting what most of us on the internet forums are saying.

The general belief is that he won't get a TUE for TRT which was actually stated by Kizer at some stage (I think) and that would perhaps diminish his in cage performance. This is also the reason we believe Belfort is trying to stay in Brazil for his fights - to get his TUE and fight better.

I don't think anyone really believes he won't get a license to fight in Nevada just that it will probably be a condition of his license that he not use TRT.

There is a huge difference between a LICENSE & a TUE.
11/12/13 12:39 AM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RJB - I think Dana and Kizer are severely misinterpreting what most of us on the internet forums are saying.

The general belief is that he won't get a TUE for TRT which was actually stated by Kizer at some stage (I think) and that would perhaps diminish his in cage performance. This is also the reason we believe Belfort is trying to stay in Brazil for his fights - to get his TUE and fight better.

I don't think anyone really believes he won't get a license to fight in Nevada just that it will probably be a condition of his license that he not use TRT.

he already got a license in 2011. i didnt think licensing issues were in dispute. there steroid pass was in dispute 

11/12/13 12:47 AM
RJB
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP - 
RJB - I think Dana and Kizer are severely misinterpreting what most of us on the internet forums are saying.

he already got a license in 2011. i didnt think licensing issues were in dispute. there steroid pass was in dispute 

Correct.

However every time I hear Dana or Kizer (Especially Dana) make reference to it recently, they always seem to be stating getting "licensed". Statements like "He can't fight in Nevada" get thrown around and shot down by Dana.

I don't know whether this is just an attempt to dodge the topic of TRT and TUE's but he seems to specifically just refer to licensing, which we all know is not really the issue. Hence my reason for thinking they misinterpret what we say or perhaps they are deliberately avoiding the topic.

11/12/13 12:48 AM
ErikMagraken
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really don't see how the NSAC can grant a TUE to someone who was previously popped for a controlled substance. The NSAC adopts WADA standards for granting TUE's which require as follows:

A TUE will be granted only in strict accordance with the following criteria:
a. The unarmed combatant would experience a significant impairment to health if
the prohibited substance or prohibited method were to be withheld in the course of treating
an acute or chronic medical condition.
b. The therapeutic use of the prohibited substance or prohibited method would
produce no additional enhancement of performance other than that which might be
anticipated by a return to a state of normal health following the treatment of a legitimate
medical condition. The use of any prohibited substance or prohibited method to increase
“lownormal” (or above) levels of any endogenous hormone is not considered an
acceptable therapeutic intervention.
c. There is no reasonable therapeutic alternative to the use of the otherwise
prohibited substance or prohibited method.
d. The necessity for the use of the otherwise prohibited substance or prohibited
method cannot be a consequence, wholly or in part, of the prior use, without a TUE, of a
substance or method which was prohibited at the time of use. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 1:00 AM
Team GDP

ErikMagraken - I really don't see how the NSAC can grant a TUE to someone who was previously popped for a controlled substance. The NSAC adopts WADA standards for granting TUE's which require as follows:

the prohibited substance or prohibited method were to be withheld in the course of treating
anticipated by a return to a state of normal health following the treatment of a legitimate
medical condition. The use of any prohibited substance or prohibited method to increase
d. The necessity for the use of the otherwise prohibited substance or prohibited
method cannot be a consequence, wholly or in part, of the prior use, without a TUE, of a

The necessity for the use of the otherwise prohibited substance or prohibited 
substance or method which was prohibited at the time of use.

chael did not have a TUE when he first starting using anabolic steroids, yet they still gave him a pass.

11/12/13 1:05 AM
gokudamus stole my name iv

"The necessity for the use of the otherwise prohibited substance or prohibited
substance or method which was prohibited at the time of use."

How on earth is this enforced? How can they claim to know if low testosterone is the result of previous steroid use? Is Vitor's doctor going to tell them "he has hypogonadism because of previous illegal steroid use"?
11/12/13 1:11 AM
CRE
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - In other words, tell Dana to leave the briefcase in the lobby by the fountain. Phone Post 3.0

LMAO
11/12/13 7:51 AM
john joe
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/12/13 7:51 AM

can vitor get a license from NSAC?

yes, no barriers to that

can vitor get a TRT exemption from NSAC?

no, that wont happen, per kizer

Does vitor want to fight in vegas with no TRT allowed?

probably not

thats all there is to it, really

11/12/13 8:03 AM
gotmysitchpackedbyweidman

LOL @ you crybabies stil crying over TRT, I love how upset you alla re that Vitor put hendo away.

11/12/13 8:16 AM
BuddyRevell
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - 

yes, no barriers to that

probably not

I'm curious to see if he still looks elite without TRT. I hope Vitor takes a fight in Nevada.

11/12/13 8:34 AM
Vikingknee

gokudamus stole my name iv - "The necessity for the use of the otherwise prohibited substance or prohibited
substance or method which was prohibited at the time of use."

How on earth is this enforced? How can they claim to know if low testosterone is the result of previous steroid use? Is Vitor's doctor going to tell them "he has hypogonadism because of previous illegal steroid use"?
That's what I'm saying. That is the biggest line of bs I've ever heard. Thousands and thousands of people abuse steroids with no long lasting drain on their endocrine system. On the other hand more and more literature on weight cutting and brain trauma keep coming out linking that to hpta problems. This forum is hard to read on the topic of trt. Especially when 99% of people don't really know what a T/E ratio is or how it works with someone on trt. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 10:50 AM
FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye

MagSlim - You also failed to mention that Vitor defied his ban for his last steroid test failure and fought again in Nevada without penalty.

He failed after his fight on 9/26/07 with Dan Henderson for "4-hydroxytestosterone" and was suspended 9 months. Yet, he fought again in London on 4/21/07 in defiance of the NSAC ban.

The NSAC then dicktucked and gave him a license in spite of all this on 2/5/11 to fight Anderson. Could you not report this?????!!!??!!!?
Does the NSAC oversee London?
Do NSAC bans supposedly have any pull outside of the country? Phone Post
11/12/13 10:52 AM
Aleksandra Albus Gstring
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gotmysitchpackedbyweidman -

LOL @ you crybabies stil crying over TRT, I love how upset you alla re that Vitor put hendo away.

Keep on keeping on mang. Phone Post
11/12/13 10:52 AM

john joe -

yes, no barriers to that

probably not

Kizer is already laying the groundwork for an EPIC contradiction and pussy move right in the article.

Magically, I guarantee the 5 people on the commission somehow approve his TUE. Watch.

Such garbage Phone Post
11/12/13 10:54 AM

"Vitor fights in Brazil because he is such a huge star"

The parroted FOX News Esque line from everyone involved. So cute. Phone Post
11/12/13 11:06 AM
RicGillespie

ErikMagraken - I really don't see how the NSAC can grant a TUE to someone who was previously popped for a controlled substance. The NSAC adopts WADA standards for granting TUE's which require as follows:

The article was about him getting licensed, not a TRT exemption. They are not inclusive.
11/12/13 11:23 AM
Team GDP

FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye -
john joe -

yes, no barriers to that

probably not

Kizer is already laying the groundwork for an EPIC contradiction and pussy move right in the article.

Magically, I guarantee the 5 people on the commission somehow approve his TUE. Watch.

Such garbage Phone Post
This 100%. A few days ago I thought no way. But it does seem like a change in stance from kizer. Phone Post
11/12/13 11:40 AM
MagSlim

FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye -
MagSlim - You also failed to mention that Vitor defied his ban for his last steroid test failure and fought again in Nevada without penalty.

Does the NSAC oversee London?
Do NSAC bans supposedly have any pull outside of the country? Phone Post
If they enforced their own rules, they would refuse a license to a fighter who defied their ban to fight under another jurisdiction. So when ViTRTor defied their ban and fought in London, the next time he came back to Vegas they should have denied him or sanctioned him.

Unfortunately his next application was to fight Anderson for the belt, so the UFC exerted their influence and nothing happened. That was abnormal per their own rules.

So to recap, he failed for steroids in Vegas, got suspended, ducked the suspension to fight abroad, was granted another license to fight Andy after all that, and now wants to use TRT in another title shot after failing for steroids under that very commission previously.

Fuck that guy. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.