UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hughes: Tito paying price for not being loyal

11/12/13 8:25 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, and Tito Ortiz are members of the UFC Hall of Fame. However, Hughes is currently Vice President of Athletic Development for the world's dominant league, whereas Couture and Ortiz are exiled.

In an interview with MMAinterviews Spencer Lazara, Hughes says the pair are to blame.

"Recently we've had some guys coming out about wanting to come to the 20th anniversary show - some other legends like yourself, because they're not part of the UFC. Does that ever make you sad?" asked Lazara. "That some of these legends like Randy Couture, some of these other legends like yourself, are not sort of part of the UFC anymore?"

Hughes placed the responsibility on Ortiz and Couture.

"The way I look at it, it was kind of their decision," said Hughes. "Randy sued the UFC, he's left the UFC, so he should know that there's going to be a little bad blood there from what's happened. I'm not saying the UFC's never done anything to Randy, that just comes to mind.

"Tito, the same way. I think he's badmouthed the UFC a little bit. So  I would say about the UFC, 'if you're good to them, they're good to you.' Those guys, there's certain times in their careers, weren't loyal to the UFC. So now they're paying the price."

11/12/13 8:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/12/13 8:37 AM
  • Hall of Fame should be based on accomplishments, not loyalty.
  • He like Olympia because its "fit, good looking people walking around"...he means good looking me walking around..beep...lol
  • BJ Penn was 4ft away, but not included in interview? I'd love to see both of them together!

11/12/13 8:37 AM
Kerouac

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
11/12/13 8:39 AM
Kerouac

Authority Figure - 
  • He like Olympia because its "fit, good looking people walking around"...he means good looking me walking around..beep...lol
  • BJ Penn was 4ft away, but not included in interview? I'd love to see both of them together!

2nd point...I too laughed my ass off.

3rd point...thought it was weird that the cameraman didn't pan over to show it was BJ.
11/12/13 8:48 AM
Mustard Tiger
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great interview.
11/12/13 8:54 AM
Kirik
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Authority Figure - 

Hall of Fame def for accomplishments, as Couture and Tito are in it. I'd love to see Pat Miletich in it, too.

Hughes like fans of guns and fitness. Who doesn't

BJ is a separate interview. Maybe it is still being edited or something. Was that BJ's hand flashing the peace sign? :-)

11/12/13 9:03 AM
WhoShotYushinOkami
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those guys knew what dana was like and thus, they knew the ramifications of pissing him off!

I have no sympathy for tito or randy.

11/12/13 9:06 AM
Mustard Tiger
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Authority Figure - 

Hall of Fame def for accomplishments, as Couture and Tito are in it. I'd love to see Pat Miletich in it, too.

Hughes like fans of guns and fitness. Who doesn't

BJ is a separate interview. Maybe it is still being edited or something. Was that BJ's hand flashing the peace sign? :-)

Yeah, he was giving Hughes rabbit ears.
11/12/13 9:29 AM
Newaza freak
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In boxing..you don't have to be loyal to Bob Arum or Don King to be entered or accepted into the H.O.F. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 9:57 AM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hughes go back to your farm,   couture can go make some movies and Tito can run his clothing business and possibly headline shows still.   They are really paying the price here

11/12/13 10:09 AM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Edited: 11/12/13 10:50 AM
Lun8 - 

hughes go back to your farm,   couture can go make some movies and Tito can run his clothing business and possibly headline shows still.   They are really paying the price here

Ya, they are really paying the price for not being a "yes man" to Dana.  Career wise, they should have followed in Hughes shoes.

Tito Ortiz net worth:  $15M

Randy Couture net worth:  $14M

Matt Hughes net worth:  $7M

11/12/13 10:12 AM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Pitbull3744 - 
WhoShotYushinOkami -

Those guys knew what dana was like and thus, they knew the ramifications of pissing him off!

This!!! I literally don't feel bad for either. Phone Post 3.0

Why would you feel bad for either?  You guys act like Tito and Randy have both come out showing regret for not bowing down to the almighty Dana.  I guess you both feel they should have been 'good 'ol boys, huh?'  

"Yes sir Mr. White, no thank you Mr. White, whatever you say Mr. White."

11/12/13 10:12 AM
rRooster
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Newaza freak - In boxing..you don't have to be loyal to Bob Arum or Don King to be entered or accepted into the H.O.F. Phone Post 3.0
Tito and randy are in the HOF. They just don't have a cushy job because they talked shit about their boss. Talking shit about you boss makes them not like you as much. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 10:15 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time I see Hughes, I forget his strong career, and picture a classy Frenchman's foot smashing his dough forehead.

11/12/13 10:19 AM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Newaza freak - In boxing..you don't have to be loyal to Bob Arum or Don King to be entered or accepted into the H.O.F. Phone Post 3.0

That's because Bob Arum and Don King aren't involved with the boxing Hall of Fame. Like other sports, boxing actually has an independent brick-and-mortar Hall of Fame that funds itself. There is no such thing as an 'MMA Hall of Fame'. Even the UFC Hall of Fame has no physical presence.

Until someone organizes and funds an independent brick-and-mortar MMA Hall of Fame that fans can actually visit, we are stuck with whatever version of history Zuffa chooses to present to the masses.
11/12/13 10:20 AM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

rRooster - 
Newaza freak - In boxing..you don't have to be loyal to Bob Arum or Don King to be entered or accepted into the H.O.F. Phone Post 3.0
Tito and randy are in the HOF. They just don't have a cushy job because they talked shit about their boss. Talking shit about you boss makes them not like you as much. Phone Post 3.0

Tell me about the cushy jobs of Stephan Bonnar, Mark Coleman, Dan Severn, and Royce.

shaqitup
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True, but I prefer guys fighting for their rights over those who just take it. Obviously Hughes can afford to though, but lower level guys ain't getting Free money after they retire Phone Post 3.0
shaqitup
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True, but I prefer guys fighting for their rights over those who just take it. Obviously Hughes can afford to though, but lower level guys ain't getting Free money after they retire Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 10:25 AM
Unseen
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito and Randy are doing considerably better than the vast majority of former UFC fighters. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 10:26 AM
Stephen Holder

In prinicipal I agree about the accomplishments being the only criteria but at the end of the day, Zuffa runs a business and if they promoted guys who go sign with a rival promotion badmouthing the ufc every chance they got, people would be lookin at the UFC like they were suckers for bolstering the image of those guys and ultimately their new employers. Maybe a neutral party needs to establish a hall of fame to avoid conflicts of interest but to expect the UFC to overlook past beefs with these guys when it took over 6 years for the Fertitas to turn a profit is naieve and unrealistic.
11/12/13 10:38 AM
BigEyedFish

HUghes should give Tito a bible. Thatll fix everything
11/12/13 10:51 AM
tunaburn
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought this was a great interview. I liked all the answers. But Hughes is my favorite fighter so maybe im biased.
11/12/13 11:30 AM
Mustard Tiger

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Pitbull3744 - 
WhoShotYushinOkami -

This!!! I literally don't feel bad for either. Phone Post 3.0

Why would you feel bad for either?  You guys act like Tito and Randy have both come out showing regret for not bowing down to the almighty Dana.  I guess you both feel they should have been 'good 'ol boys, huh?'  

"Yes sir Mr. White, no thank you Mr. White, whatever you say Mr. White."

These guys didn't have to trim Dana's short hairs ...

How about just not wearing a shirt to weigh-ins slamming your boss and no promoting a rival company? 

History is written by the victors and Zuffa will show no mercy towards Randy Couture and Tito Ortiz.

11/12/13 11:56 AM
LeftLowKick
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Lun8 - 

Ya, they are really paying the price for not being a "yes man" to Dana.  Career wise, they should have followed in Hughes shoes.

His Billion dollar clothing business? Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 12:01 PM
PUBLIC's_bsc_in_my_bloodyfluid
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lun8 - 

I bet Hughes is happier with his life then tito is with his.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.