UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> How to Help Philippines Typhoon Victims

11/12/13 4:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Otherground Blog
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OG, Blogger

The New York Times has put together a comprehensive list of how concerned citizens of the world can help victims of The Philippines Typhoon, the worst storm ever recorded.

The Pentagon has dispatched an advance team of 90 marines and sailors, and USAID has pledged emergency shelter and hygiene materials and 55 tons of food. The American Embassy in Manila has donated $100,000 for water and sanitation assistance.

Below is a list of contact information for some organizations that plan to provide relief to victims of the typhoon, called Yolanda in the Philippines. More information about giving, for this and other causes, is available online from the GuideStar database on nonprofit agencies.

International Committee of the Red Cross/Philippine Red Cross
The International Committee of the Red Cross and the Philippine Red Cross are both accepting donations and coordinating disaster relief on the ground throughout much of the central Philippines. The local branch of the organization is posting updates on Facebook and Twitter.

World Food Program
The World Food Program, which provides emergency food aid to families and children, is accepting donations online and through PayPal.

Unicef
The Philippine branch of Unicef, the United Nations Children’s Fund, says that children affected by the typhoon need urgent access to drinkable water, medical supplies, food and shelter. It is accepting donations online as part of an emergency typhoon appeal.

Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services has dispatched a team to the area affected by the storm, but said travel to the most hard-hit cities and towns was “extremely slow” because of damaged infrastructure and debris-clogged roads. It is accepting donations online.

Caritas Manila
The Philippine branch of Caritas, a Catholic charity, is accepting donations online and via wire transfers. It is posting updates on Twitter.

Oxfam
Oxfam reports that it has “three assessment teams in the field and is currently preparing 16 tons of aid for immediate shipment to the region,” and aims “to ensure access for 20,000 of the most vulnerable families to safe water, sanitation facilities, and enable people to protect themselves from public health risks.” The charity is accepting online donations.

Save the Children
Save the Children is accepting donations online to respond to the needs of children and families. The group said that 10 percent of each donation will be set aside to help prepare for future emergencies.

Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders)
The medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), explains on its website that it has emergency teams in Cebu (the Philippine city with the nearest fully operational airport to the disaster area) and expects “to have a medical team on the ground tomorrow, Tuesday, in Tacloban, a town devastated when the typhoon first struck the coast.”

Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger reports that its local experts in the Philippines “were able to mount an immediate emergency response, with teams carrying out initial surveys to assess needs while preparing distributions of drinking water and survival kits containing buckets, soap, and chlorine tablets.”

Philippine Department of Social Welfare and Development
The Philippine Department of Social Welfare and Development is seeking volunteers and accepting donations to respond to the typhoon’s destruction. Donations are accepted online. It is also posting updates about relief efforts to Twitter.

Gawad Kalinga
Gawad Kalinga, a Philippine nonprofit dedicated to fighting poverty, is accepting monetary donations as well as nonperishable goods such as children’s vitamins, rice, kitchen utensils and blankets. The group is accepting donations via credit card through its “give now” page. It is also posting updates on Facebook and Twitter.

The mGive Foundation Philippines Typhoon Disaster Relief Fund
The United States State Department announced a partnership on Monday with The mGive Foundation Philippines Typhoon Disaster Relief Fund, organized by the mGive Foundation, an American 501c3 public charity that collects donations for victims of the typhoon via mobile phone. Wireless subscribers can text AID to 80108 to give a $10 donation, which will appear on the donor’s wireless bill or be deducted from their prepaid balance.

Finding a Friend or Family Member
If you are looking for information about a specific person in an area affected by the typhoon, Google has set up a person finder page, which can also be accessed by mobile device or text message. If you have information about a specific person affected by the typhoon, you can also use the person finder page to share it.

If you know of other good efforts accepting donations, please post below. And heartfelt thanks so everyone donating.

11/12/13 5:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would help house a 27 year old cutie. Phone Post
11/12/13 5:43 PM
puddin1414
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're American, why not donate to a charity to help our country? We have homeless, starving and helpless. I support anyone that can give anything to a person in need. But when out neighbors need help, lets take care of them first. Phone Post
11/12/13 5:49 PM
Ghengiseanie

Selfish fucks. You disgust me, because you have 3 million children homeless in your counry and cant even be bothered to pull i ttogetther for proper affordable health service. For the common bond of humanity, you help others.

11/12/13 5:49 PM
kanotoa
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

n2bateyou -
puddin1414 - If you're American, why not donate to a charity to help our country? We have homeless, starving and helpless. I support anyone that can give anything to a person in need. But when out neighbors need help, lets take care of them first. Phone Post
This

Haiti relief funds still show hundreds of millions unaccounted for.

Fuck em. Solve your own problems. Our checking account is overdrawn. Phone Post 3.0
It's a shame how no one is being put in jail for this. Seriously I'd give money to a legit relief fund. Phone Post
11/12/13 5:52 PM
Jason
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
Hum... Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 6:14 PM
edwims
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it is not illegal to donate to US based charities AND ALSO typhoon relief

sure be careful that you get a legit relief effort charity but it doesn't have to be either/or

at ten bucks per you can help more than one cause

11/12/13 6:19 PM
Ghengiseanie

n2bateyou - 
Ghengiseanie -

Selfish fucks. You disgust me, because you have 3 million children homeless in your counry and cant even be bothered to pull i ttogetther for proper affordable health service. For the common bond of humanity, you help others.

Yeah sweetheart. The system in your home part of the world is much better.

Nobody on this board cares what you think about America, now take your freedom-hating ass back to the Sharia Law message boards. Phone Post 3.0

England you colonial insurgent prick. No Shairah for me, Queen and Country, your freedom is the freedom to let a human being die just because of his geography. 

11/12/13 6:21 PM
myee8
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Charity should begin at home - i'd rather donate to fire or flood stricken areas here (Australia) than the Phillipines... Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 6:23 PM
James8
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to give money to a charity in Haiti check out eduhatian it's set up by a friend of mine and is a proper grass roots charity, they put kids threw schooling as there is no state education out there, you can sponsor a child for a year and will receive updates on how they are doing.
They just had there first two students graduate and get jobs which is great. Their only a small charity and not trying to change the world but helping one person at a time support them selves.
I like the idea so much I donated my last fights prize and ticket money to them. Hope I don't get in trouble for posting a link but
http://www.eduhaitian.org Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 6:24 PM
James8
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And sorry for my terrible spelling and grammar !!! Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 6:32 PM
In Limbo
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

everyone chiming in about how'd they;d rather donate to soemthing within their own country just shut the fuck up and do it instead of fake preaching it on a thread about donating to a separate cause

the equivalent would be me going into a random tennis club just to tell them that i'd rather play basketball in my own town....

this thread wasnt to ask where you would rather donate your $ or what your opinions were to begin with.....quit acting like mma.tv represents the US government or the government of your home country

11/12/13 6:38 PM
Iamtheonepercent
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife has family over there, I'm just going to send money directly to them. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 6:39 PM
Quik
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SIX DEUCE, Anti-Douchebaggery
I donate here in the US to United Way and Shop with a Cop and I will be donating here too. I love the Philippines and can't comprehend the situation there. No child deserves to go through this...no matter what country they're from. Phone Post
11/12/13 6:45 PM
zebedee

Get the fuck out of this thread then you bunch of cunts Phone Post
11/12/13 7:16 PM
Jack Carter
579 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/12/13 7:52 PM
NorthernHospitality
838 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We gave a money donation and clothing to Canadian Red Cross.. So fucking sad... As I ran my daughters bath water tonight all I could think about was those poor people there that have nothing to bathe in and drink :( 

11/12/13 7:53 PM
Foos
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

puddin1414 - If you're American, why not donate to a charity to help our country? We have homeless, starving and helpless. I support anyone that can give anything to a person in need. But when out neighbors need help, lets take care of them first. Phone Post

Do what you want, but one of the nice things about a global community is that the world can help out during tragedies like this.

When Katrina hit, many people around the world pitched in to help out. When wildfires were fucking up California, many Canadian firefighters volunteered their services.

There's many examples of people pitching in when shit hits the fan.

As shitty as people can be sometimes, it's inspiring and uplifting knowing there are people around the world willing to help out during these tragedies.
11/12/13 7:54 PM
dannyapodaca
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is children in need we should be there helping them. This isn't about charities helping a kid read. This is about life and death. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 7:56 PM
Spidermonkey
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later
11/12/13 7:56 PM
LitUp
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Canadian living in Manila. I have several staff members and friends from that region who have not heard from their family for several days and have no clue if they're alive or not.

Many roads are blocked making it difficult to get supplies to areas and it's expected that there won't be power in some areas for weeks or months. I know people who have heard firsthand that food is already becoming sparse.

I'm not going to get into the debate about donating outside of your own country. Donating to any legitimate charity is always worthwhile and honorable, wherever the location. With that being said, what you see on the news is only a small portion of the devastation that a lot of people are feeling.

If you donate, donate cash (since many regions cannot be reached still with supplies) and only through the Red Cross or someone reputable.

Count your blessings. There are people who have now spent several days wondering if their entire family is alive or dead. Be thankful and hopeful you would never have to encounter such a situation.

11/12/13 7:59 PM
Emperor Nero

as much as i like helping people in other countries, you can help them by smacking them with some common sense. the people over there all have like 8 fucking kids, just off the chain shit, they start when theyre mid teens and dont stop. maybe if they didnt overpopulate the shit out of their little island they wouldnt suffer so much.
11/12/13 8:02 PM
Emperor Nero

also, ive worked at 'Save the Children' before, its a total scam. the head people there all make millions , there are only a handful of people in the entire united states who oversee the legitimacy of 'nonprofit' organizations. that place should be called 'save our children.'
11/12/13 8:49 PM
spider guard
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm American and live here in the PI. I have 2 employees from that area. One left yesterday cause her family's home was destroyed and her baby has nothing to eat. The other has yet to hear from his wife and kid. The pictures are devastating.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/27-devastating-images-from-typhoon-haiyans-destruction

In times like these, there's no being American or whatever nationality, it's about doing what's right. Simple as that.
11/12/13 9:25 PM
PTM2020
1004 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pinterest has a good easy to use lineup of different charity orgs to check out.

http://www.pinterest.com/moonielantion/donate-to-help-the-philippine-typhoon-relief/

Personally I give to this one.

http://gk-usa.org/

I've seen their work first hand and they are as legit as they come.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.