UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Are Ronda Rousey's fans no longer aroused?

11/14/13 7:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1072 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Ronda Rousey is the reason women are in the UFC. Once the 2008 Olympic medalist in Judo signed with the UFC, she received unprecedented media coverage for any fighter, male or female. "Rowdy" landed on the cover of ESPN The Magazine's body issue, made Maxim magazine's "Hot 100," made the cover there too, and generally appeared to be a transforming figure in WMMA.

When it was announced that she would be coaching on the 18th season of The Ultimate Fighter, expectation reached a crescendo. However, right before TUF 18 debuted, Rousey gave a curious interview.

"I think it was very good for the women's division, and I think it definitely needed to happen, but you couldn't pay me $10 million to do it again," Rousey said. "How could people possibly know who you are from a couple of clips of a video that people are seeing out of context? That's no way for people to get to know you, so I'm just preparing for people to get the worst idea of who I am."

Her words were prescient.

Rousey's demeanor on the show lost her some fans. This fact was brought home when the far less heralded Miesha Tate, who coached opposite Rousey on TUF, received more votes in the tournament to decide who will appear with Jon Jones on the cover of EA Sports debut UFC game.

The UK's Gareth A. Davies talks about what happened, and what it means.

There has been something a little abhorrent seeing Ronda in people’s faces week after week through 11 episodes of TUF. Though, on a personal level, Ronda getting into the face of Dennis Hallman was a standout moment for me. Rousey has no fear. And certainly not of any man.

There is the argument that Tate was able to act her way through the series and utilize it as a powerful PR vehicle.

The difference is that Tate has shown a propensity to play to the camera, aware of them being there. Rousey couldn’t give a damn whether the cameras are there or not.

Ask Mrs. Rousey: “Ronda holds a grudge to extreme. That’s good for her as a competitor, because she is highly motivated by spite. Miesha would be wise to never fight Ronda. Because Ronda holds a grudge, and once her mind is made up, she won’t change.” And there lies the rub.

In late December, that cage door will slam shut. Rousey will then show the proverbial finger when winning a vote will not mean a thing.

Then, in Ronda’s words, it will be “Team Real/Mean” versus “Team Fake/Nice” and I don’t need to spell out what “Rowdy” is getting at...

Regardless of whether Ronda Rousey gets booed into the Octagon, watch who gets the thumbs up from the fight. And there — indeed — will be the real vote.

Fighting, and being champion, is about winning. It’s not a popularity contest.

Read entire article...

11/14/13 7:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShaqNoob
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this thread needs pics
11/14/13 8:05 PM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://i.imgur.com/XTYHNz0l.jpg

11/14/13 8:05 PM
BRZ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thread title should say does Ronda still rustle your jimmies. Phone Post 3.0
11/14/13 8:10 PM
GladiatorGannon
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People who like you will pay to see you win. People that hate you will pay to see you lose. She's not going to lose money off this.
11/14/13 8:10 PM
NukerMMA

Home Business Baller, The Baller

Eh.  I was a ronda fan at first. Still like her athleticism but her attitude sucks.

I like Miesha more now.  And that body....DAMN.

11/14/13 8:11 PM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And a couple for Miesha

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1614956416/image.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j56wGVe.png

11/14/13 8:11 PM
yabadaba
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Though, on a personal level, Ronda getting into the face of Dennis Hallman was a standout moment for me. Rousey has no fear. And certainly not of any man."

That seemed like a pretty silly moment to me...but each to their own.

11/14/13 8:12 PM
Von Brawn

I think Ronda's much hotter with all this attitude. I don;t understand why the internet needs everyone to be nice
11/14/13 8:14 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First of all, that UFC cover contest does not measure popularity. It measures who is most committed.  The fact that a person could vote as often as possible tells you all you need to know. Think about how Ron Paul did in online polls vs the ballot box. 

The most relevant measure of popularity from online behaviour is  Twitter and Facebook followers.  Ronda destroys Miesha Tate in that regard.  Getting less popular? I don't think so. She is adding about 2,000 fans a day to her Facebook page.  Hardly sounds like she is "losing fans" to any large degree, and for certain she is netting far more fans on a daily basis.

11/14/13 8:17 PM
Kirik
1634 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
OCJudoTrngCtr - 

First of all, that UFC cover contest does not measure popularity. It measures who is most committed.  The fact that a person could vote as often as possible tells you all you need to know. Think about how Ron Paul did in online polls vs the ballot box. 

The most relevant measure of popularity from online behaviour is  Twitter and Facebook followers.  Ronda destroys Miesha Tate in that regard.  Getting less popular? I don't think so. She is adding about 2,000 fans a day to her Facebook page.  Hardly sounds like she is "losing fans" to any large degree, and for certain she is netting far more fans on a daily basis.

Thank you for the compelling information.

11/14/13 8:23 PM
Chromium

And here's a pic of Thug Rose, just because.

http://i.imgur.com/onFZqOn.jpg

11/14/13 8:27 PM
HexRei

Love me some thug rose!

How bout some evil eye.
11/14/13 8:30 PM
PittWrestler
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Ronda Rousey is the reason women are in MMA."

Interesting opening sentence.

11/14/13 8:30 PM
Ansari
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arousey'd?

11/14/13 8:32 PM
BRZ

OCJudoTrngCtr -

Ronda loss that voting mostly because of the haters not Tate fans. Tate isn't doing so well against Gus in the next round. Phone Post 3.0
11/14/13 8:42 PM
Mix6APlix

OCJudoTrngCtr -

Damn son! Great post. VTFU when I get to a pc.

I heart Ronda! Phone Post
11/14/13 8:50 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Ronda loss that voting mostly because of the haters not Tate fans. Tate isn't doing so well against Gus in the next round."

It was a mixture of both. Like I said, it measured commitment, not popularity.

The fact that you could vote often was not lost on Miesha. In fact, she implored her fans to  vote often on Facebook. From one of her November 10th posts on Facebook, the last day of voting she wrote:

"I need help guys!! I'm going head to head with Ronda to make it past the first round of voting to be on the EASPORTSUFC game and right now she's leading... there's only 2 1/2 he's left to vote! Please vote and share this www.ufc.com/covervote
Ps voting is unlimited so vote as many times as you want thank you
"

She was behind Ronda going into the last day. Ronda only posted twice, once in English, once in Spanish and asked for a vote.  Never asked for multiple votes.  She posted in English on November 4th and Spanish on November 7th.  Miesha was campaigning down to the wire.

11/14/13 8:55 PM
shin2chin
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm no huge fan of Ronda's and her attitude really annoyed me on this season of TUF.

However I just finished watching Ep 10 and one thing really stuck out to me.

Tate's own team don't really like/respect her and accused her of favoritism.

Both Ronda's team and Tate's team seemed to really like and respect Ronda.

I hate all the finger flipping bullshit as much as the next person and find it embarrassing and childish. She got huge props for me when she gave the dads Fathers Day gifts though.

11/14/13 8:57 PM
MDubz

I still love Ronda! Phone Post 3.0
11/14/13 9:02 PM
Loydchristmas
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bitch is trying to hard to be a dude. Phone Post
11/14/13 9:16 PM
B_Goetz

Damage control from FOX.

UFC is probably very upset with the direction they took with the editing, although it was pretty much the only reality show plot that could be assembled, given the footage they had.
11/14/13 9:18 PM
B_Goetz

OMG, did you guys see Ronda get in Hallman's face like she wanted to fight him? So badass!
11/14/13 9:21 PM
BuddyRevell
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yabadaba - 

"Though, on a personal level, Ronda getting into the face of Dennis Hallman was a standout moment for me. Rousey has no fear. And certainly not of any man."

That seemed like a pretty silly moment to me...but each to their own.

LOL at Davies for this dumbass statement, as if she was in actual danger of being beat to a pulp by Hallman.

11/14/13 9:25 PM
publics_lowDown_brazilianWax
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LibraryCard - MMA fans prefer humble champions, not trashy ones, it's that simple. Phone Post

Yes, humble like Tito ken and Brock.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.