UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does win at UFC 167 make GSP the GOAT?

11/15/13 12:55 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

A case can be made for several fighters being the greatest of all time. Some people it was Fedor Emelianenko before his legacy was tarnished by three straight losses. Some believe it was and still is Anderson Silva despite his most recent loss to Chris Weidman. T.P. grants makes the case that Georges St-Pierre will cement that status with a win over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167:

With a win over Hendricks, St-Pierre would be in the unique position of having turned aside the best of three generations of fighters. He beat the old guard of welterweights headed by Matt Hughes, but also included the likes of Frank Trigg and Sean Sherk. St. Pierre was then faced with a plethora of challengers from his own generation, beating Nick Diaz, B.J. Penn, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, and Jake Shields.

And when St. Pierre beat Carlos Condit, he head defeated one of the standard bearers of a new generation of fighters. Condit, while his career started in 2002, didn't come into his own as a fighter until 2010 with wins over Rory MacDonald and Dan Hardy. Now in Hendricks, St-Pierre faces another of the best a new generation of welterweights.

Victory against Hendricks is not a given and will not be easy for St-Pierre, but should he end the evening by getting his hand raised he will have a streak of dominance stretching from 2005 to the present day with only the Matt Serra hiccup interrupting his winning streak, putting him at 16-1 since he lost his first shot at a title to Matt Hughes in 2004.

With a win on Saturday St-Pierre would become the greatest of all time.

read entire article...

So Underground, what do you think? Is GSP the greatest of all-time already, and if not, will a win over Hendricks cement that. Or does he still have work to do to earn the title, even with a win?

11/15/13 1:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OGT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nah
11/15/13 1:15 PM
British101
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

P4p yes, goat? No Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 1:26 PM
5pointer

already has been for a while
11/15/13 1:28 PM
Odinson
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO he is goat. Fought every top contender 170 has ever had for him. Beat them all handily. He has great ,striking,timing, distance control on top of the best mma wrestling we have seen to date. People only pick Anderson because he is flashier. Gsp would ( IMO probably never know) probably beat Anderson and maybe even Fedor. with weight disadvantages. The guy is just to smart. IDK could be wrong but that's how I feel.
11/15/13 1:32 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

GSP does not fight to win, he fights to not to lose. He`s like a guy who always follows the stalemate strategy in tic tac toe. He will never be considered among the greats and to even suggest it is laughable.
11/15/13 1:36 PM
Mr Makaveli

No no no. Anderson Silva is the God of MMA. Nobody has come close and I doubt in our lifetimes we will see another 2006 onward until his latest loss is just incredible... I mean it's not human some of the shit he did. Haters will assassinate his character whether they're racist or love another fighter for example ie Fedor "some" of his fans would tear the shit out of Anderson just to make Fedor sound better. I'm a Fedor fan he is the greatest HW EVER. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 1:39 PM
Nick Diaz Fan

Greatest mixed martial artist but not the greatest fighter! Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 1:56 PM
pollice_verso
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“Johny is by far the biggest threat to GSP’s title, that’s obvious. Hendricks could be the guy to end GSP’s reign, we all get that. What’s getting missed here is the bigger story: If GSP wins this fight, he is the greatest fighter in the history of the UFC, the number one guy of the UFC’s first two decades. Hendricks will be the UFC champion in the future – I think we can all agree on that – so if GSP can beat him now he will not only be the greatest fighter of his era, but also of the Hendricks era. Every win Hendricks gets after losing to GSP would be a win for GSP, too. So this is an even bigger stakes match than people realize. I think GSP will show up in the form of his life – but I also think Hendricks wins this.” - Chael Sonnen - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100027046/ufc-stars-predict-upset-for-johny-hendricks-against-champion-georges-st-pierre/
11/15/13 2:00 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

In my estimation, he already is the GOAT.

11/15/13 2:04 PM
sub67
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. Maybe GOAT at leaving fights to the judges.
11/15/13 2:05 PM
Cann
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope. He needs to finish fights more often.
11/15/13 2:30 PM
sekundarburnes

dude has been the GOAT for a while. the gap between him and the rest of his division (which might be the best division outside of its champion in the world as well) is huge and unvarying, his skills in every area are superior to every other fighter's, even those with specialties, and he's been doing it since 2006. the only two losses in his 29 fight career, fought almost entirely inside the UFC, are flukes. both were avenged with brutal stoppages, and the only fighter to which he's arguably lost a round (bj penn, at one time considered the GOAT) he came back and destroyed in a rematch.

compare that to anderson, who is also an excellent fighter, but which his checkered past, a collection of awful performances as champion and glaring weaknesses in his game (wrestling), despite his overwhelming strengths, we're forced to take him out of consideration in the GOAT conversation.

let's not talk about jones yet.

GSP is pretty unarguably the greatest fighter of all time. all hail the king
11/15/13 2:39 PM
Mix6APlix

GSP is the most dominant fighter of his generation already. His haters prove they have zero acumen more and more with every stupid post they make. GSP has dominated everyone Zuffa has put in front of him. Hughes was going to outwrestle him. Kos laughed at the notion of being outwrestled by GSP and ended up with a broken face. Fitch got his face broken too. All people who were supposed to be his biggest threat, and they all got flat out owned by GSP. Maybe he should pick and choose some cans to crush, but he doesnt. He fights any and everyone in his division. His haters are all petulant simpletons who likely have never been in a fight, much less against world class competition and should STFU. Phone Post
11/15/13 2:41 PM
Mix6APlix

In all honesty, the only person that Georges cant hit his power double leg on is Anthony Robles. Phone Post
11/15/13 2:41 PM
KingMeNow

Absolutely not. He's as close as can be though.
11/15/13 2:47 PM
XcessiveZ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes,based on the level of his opponents.Not the flashiest or best finisher,but definitely the most dominant. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 2:53 PM
JamesTheWelshDR
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

British101 - P4p yes, goat? No Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 2:55 PM
Delorian
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP deserves legend status, and future generations of fight fans won't deny it.

Greatest of all time? Entirely subjective. I say no, but you can't deny the mans dominance over arguably the toughest division in MMA.

Hespect the riddum. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 2:59 PM
Harold_Howard

Been the goat for a while now. Makes all the best look like amateurs. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 3:04 PM
Pessimist_Pete

Yea, Grease On All Time Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 3:22 PM
Granola

GSP is an amazing athlete but imo the GOAT status is shared between Anderson and Fedor because the manner in which they finished top opponents. GSP has been using his athleticism to play it safe and get the win, to be GOAT you have to be able to do what Anderson did against Vitor or what Fedor did against Randleman and Sylvia.
11/15/13 3:25 PM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For strength of competition and utter dominance I'd say he's up there with AS and Fedor as one of the GOATs, but he's no longer one of my favorite fighters or one of the most exciting ones like he was up until the second BJ fight... Still enjoy him, but not in the same way.

Course that has nothing to do with whether or not he's the GOAT so as subjective a statement as that is, I'd say he's easily WW GOAT and on par with AS right now for GOAT status. Considering he's only 32, incredibly strategic and now taking little damage -- I could see him continuing his run for a few more fights in which case I'd have to give it to him
11/15/13 3:38 PM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granola - GSP is an amazing athlete but imo the GOAT status is shared between Anderson and Fedor because the manner in which they finished top opponents. GSP has been using his athleticism to play it safe and get the win, to be GOAT you have to be able to do what Anderson did against Vitor or what Fedor did against Randleman and Sylvia.

GSP has done that to greater competition than either of those fighters, he just stopped fighting like that as he aged...

Are we only going to consider Fedor's sad career end or his badass highlight reel KOs? And quite frankly, I'd prefer to see a slower style and petering off for a fighter than to see his career abruptly end.

Not to mention Sylvia fought Fyodor in 2008 and Randleman was just coming off two finishes from Sakuraba and Quinton who handled him better than Fyodor did. I don't know why those are the two legacy fights that come to mind for you over his CC win, gettin vengeance for his little bro, or Nog win, destroyed Pride's untouchable champion in the guard, for example

Also why does style have anything to do with dominance? While a fuck ton less exciting, there's something to be said about a 40round win streak only broken up by an eye gouge that leaves you half blind.

I don't think finishes or excitement level equate to skill in the ring, and as talented as Fedor was, I think it was idiotic, while also entirely badass and fucking sweet, that he'd often show 0 ring IQ and attack his opponent's strong spot...

I mean it's sick as fuck, but it's also why his career had such a sharp collapse. When you rely on insane timing, reflexes...etc The second your body goes you go. It's also easy to forget how dumb AS has looked when he doesn't have a counter puncher playing into his style, but I do understand giving him the nod over GSP

...Course I'm retard to even half-argue these points since GOAT status is about as concrete as p4p rankings lol

11/15/13 3:55 PM
irishrottie
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. Look to boxing, a sport where it is set in stone what its takes to be a hall of famer and considered one of the greatest of all time. Everyone in the top 5 boxers of all time are there because of who they beat and how they beat them. How gsp has beaten his opponents over the last 5 years is not goat material. The goat is Anderson or Fedor.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.