UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC to add women's strawweight division

11/15/13 3:20 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1059 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC president Dana White appeared recently on the FoxSports.com podcast “The Fighter and the Kid." The show, just six weeks old, is hosted by UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub and comedian  Bryan Callen.

On the show White revealed the future of little women's MMA.

"I’ll give you guys something nobody knows yet," said White as transcribed by MMASucka. "We’re actually working on bringing in another division for the women, which I said would never happen for a long time."

The UFC currently has a women's bantamweight (135 lbs) division. White was asked if the new division would be Featherweight (145, hello Cris Cyborg) or flyweight (125).

White's reply was unexpected.

"Neither," said White, adding "115 lbs."

The move follows an unintended test each week of the drawing power of WMMA vs. the drawing power of men's MMA. Women win - the episodes featuring women’s fights on TUF 18 earn 44% higher ratings on FOX Sports 1 than do episodes with men fighting.. Rousey and bitter rival Miesha Tate are this season’s coaches.

“I never in a million years thought that it would take off the way that it has,” said White, who just two years ago replied "never" when asked when women would fight in the UFC. Of course, that was before White met Ronda Rousey, and crafted the division around her. Rousey is the coach, opposite Miesha Tate, on the current season of The Ultimate Fighter.

Top strawweight women fighters include Jessica Aguilar, JoJo Calderwood, Carla Esparza, Ayaka Hamasaki, Felice Herrig, Bec Hyatt, and Rose Namajunas. Further, the UFC is likely consider top fighters at 105 and 125 who are willing to move up and down, respectively.

Although the majority of the world's top women fighters are contracted with Invicta FC, Invicta and the UFC have an excellent working relationship of long standing, and there is every expectation that the organizations would come to terms.

BloodyElbow's Step Daniels reached out to Invicta FC CEO Shannon Knapp, and Knapp saw nothing but positives.

"I think it's great," said Knapp. "I've always said that my goal was to build these divisions out to bring awareness to the female athletes in the sport by giving them a home and opportunities. I believe the UFC bringing in more weight divisions is proof that we are breaking down the barriers and moving the sport forward for the females. I saw it and believed in it from the start, and I'm happy that Invicta has been instrumental in changing the landscape for the female athletes. It's always been my personal and professional goal to make a difference in this sport, and I believe that each and every day, I'm accomplishing that."

"I think it's a testament to how well Invicta is doing, and I couldn't be more proud of what we've managed to accomplish for the women in the sport. We've just begun our work, and we want to keep making a difference. There's going to be a demand for more talent. I plan to give them a home where new strawweight competitors can be built up. This doesn't mean the end of anything. Honestly, this is just the beginning."

"There's still plenty of work to be done in all of the women's divisions. I'm looking at this as a personal and professional victory, and it is of tremendous benefit to the athletes. When the biggest organization out there is taking a look at what you've done, and they embrace it, then you know you've succeeded."

What do you think UG? Expect to see Felice Herrig get a UFC contract. Who else do you think the UFC will sign?

Dowload entire episode...

11/15/13 3:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MoomBah
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like this decision...But in the same breath, bye bye Invicta?

11/15/13 3:24 PM
JoeMimic
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh shit! Can't wait! Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 3:27 PM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoomBah - 

I like this decision...But in the same breath, bye bye Invicta?

I think Invicta is on life support anyway. A TV deal never materialized, events kept getting pushed back, and they just had a huge scandal with one of their founders defrauding people using the Invicta name and had to boot her out of the company.
11/15/13 3:36 PM
Tomato Can
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems reasonable. It's the only women's division with any depth aside from 135.

I assume Jessica Aguilar will be one of the first signings.
11/15/13 3:40 PM
Jack Skellington
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I figured this was coming & I'm thrilled. The women's 115lbs weight class is deep. Next TUF would be a great idea too.
11/15/13 3:49 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/15/13 3:50 PM

A little while ago sports editors were asked what would be the biggest female sport in the USA moving forward and the #1 answer was UFC based on web traffic.

Zuffa is jumping on it.

With 115lb's and 135lbs you effectively cover the majority of the talent because even those who dont compete in those divisions and either move down or up to be in the UFC.

11/15/13 3:57 PM
Chromium
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/16/13 5:41 AM

I wanted 125 to be first, but... I admit I'm hyped. Tons of fabulous talent out there.

Reposting this just 'cause (click image for full-size version in a new tab)

EDIT: Thanks for adding my poster to the OP :)

http://tryimg.com/3/1gkg.png

11/15/13 4:02 PM
Chromium
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doback M3 - 

lol what a joke. 

Thug Rose gonna hunt you down and kill you like a ninja. Best watch your back, son.

11/15/13 4:02 PM
pollice_verso
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does that mean Thug Rose will be in the UFC? I hope so.
11/15/13 4:07 PM
Matt Phillips
774 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love it, 115 is a great weight class to add.

11/15/13 4:08 PM
iant
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kim jong illest - Womens division > ben askren Phone Post 3.0
Word up Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 4:11 PM
FETT_DiscipleDojo
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Felice and Tecia Torres at the next Invicta event will hopefully be a preview of coming attractions. I'd love to see both of them, Bec and JoJo all in the Octagon.

11/15/13 4:16 PM
Vaginal Tear
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's preparing for Hondas departure by bringing in felice. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 4:24 PM
Liam VT1 _ LEMon
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Astro girl Alex Chambers stopped Mika Nagano in 1, tapped out Jodie Esquibel in 1 and will beat up anyone the UFC puts in front of her! She's dying to fight and she's sitting on the shelf. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 4:27 PM
Liam VT1 _ LEMon
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Silva, Let me in!!!

11/15/13 4:28 PM
Glovegate

Lol, I think I'm done.
11/15/13 4:37 PM
RyannVonDoom

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=1&thread=2251117&page=1&pc=58

11/15/13 4:45 PM
Liam VT1 _ LEMon

Lol what vote down ? Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 4:46 PM
Chimp Strength
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yet another division when people can't come to terms and gain familiarity with the ones they have already, seems logical. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 4:49 PM
-D0DG3R D0GG13-
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where's the love for the BBW's? Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 4:51 PM
tonytr

Chimp Strength - Yet another division when people can't come to terms and gain familiarity with the ones they have already, seems logical. Phone Post 3.0

Venture outside of the UG a little. It's only the hardcores that can't adjust to the changes. All they care about is hypothetical ruminations on Prime Fedor vs. Prime whoever and worshiping the altar of old fighters instead of the well-rounded beasts of today.
11/15/13 5:02 PM
Chimp Strength
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tonytr -
Chimp Strength - Yet another division when people can't come to terms and gain familiarity with the ones they have already, seems logical. Phone Post 3.0

Venture outside of the UG a little. It's only the hardcores that can't adjust to the changes. All they care about is hypothetical ruminations on Prime Fedor vs. Prime whoever and worshiping the altar of old fighters instead of the well-rounded beasts of today.
Numbers are dropping cause cards are full of unknowns. Fighters are not promoted well enough and therefore no one cares about them. Increasing the number of fighters further doesn't help that situation. Phone Post 3.0
11/15/13 5:14 PM
Zapruder
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice
11/15/13 5:18 PM
XcessiveZ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously?Ugh.. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.