UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighter Tweets re: GSP vs Hendricks Decision

11/17/13 11:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian Rule
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks won. No surprise that nearly every single fighter acknowledged this
11/17/13 11:21 AM
UGCTT_EnderTL
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Popular opinion is that Hendricks won, but people seem to be going out of the way to ignore that some educated people scored it for GSP. If the judges were randomly selected from that group of people who tweeted there is still a chance GSP would have got the nod.

I think people need to mellow out on the robbery juice. Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 11:33 AM
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_EnderTL - Popular opinion is that Hendricks won, but people seem to be going out of the way to ignore that some educated people scored it for GSP. If the judges were randomly selected from that group of people who tweeted there is still a chance GSP would have got the nod.

I'm never one to call robbery Ender. And I'm always the first to call those people idiots (every decision Nick Diaz ever lost).

I wouldn't call this a robbery, because a robbery is when the fight isn't close. This was a close call, that they got wrong. IMO.

The "beat the champ to be the champ" stuff is nonsense. It's a sport, they keep score, it's not supposed to be opinion. When you win only win the Superbowl by 1 point against the returning champions, you still get the trophy.

Ton of respect to GSP though, I always defend him when people call him boring.
11/17/13 11:54 AM
abi
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who ever keeps saying it was a close fight, it wasnt! far from it. hendricks dominated that fight..damn...the majority of mma outlets and fans agree that gsp lost... Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 11:59 AM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why do people tweet things like "wow"..?
i don't follow anyone on twitter, so i may not fully understand the concept.
11/17/13 12:00 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

silversurfer - 
ShanTheMan - Seems like most agree with the UG Phone Post 3.0

But the UG doesn't seem to be in agreement so what are you saying? Most seem to agree that GSP deserved to win a close fight?

That or that like myself, that R1 was close enough to go either way so not impossible for GSP to have taken the nod.
11/17/13 12:00 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Miletich is forgetting about Hughes/Charuto and Condit is forgetting about Diaz.
11/17/13 12:01 PM
Wasa-B

Also, to really see the fighters' opinion, did they score the fights by round. Some did, many dont say so hard to know if they watched the fight with that in mind.
11/17/13 12:03 PM
Wasa-B

stonepony - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - Popular opinion is that Hendricks won, but people seem to be going out of the way to ignore that some educated people scored it for GSP. If the judges were randomly selected from that group of people who tweeted there is still a chance GSP would have got the nod.

I'm never one to call robbery Ender. And I'm always the first to call those people idiots (every decision Nick Diaz ever lost).

I wouldn't call this a robbery, because a robbery is when the fight isn't close. This was a close call, that they got wrong. IMO.

The "beat the champ to be the champ" stuff is nonsense. It's a sport, they keep score, it's not supposed to be opinion. When you win only win the Superbowl by 1 point against the returning champions, you still get the trophy.

Yeah, when it comes down to it: its which fighter won the rounds?

I just rewatched R1 and i think JH EDGED it out but key word being "edge." I think there is a case for GSP taking it even if i may disagree but i think it was close enough to have gone either way or at least that it was not a clear enough round for JH to have argued a convincing win. If JH won that round by a clear margin, then there is a case for the ol robbery because that would have been 3 clear rounds for Johny but i dont think it was enough for that.
11/17/13 12:22 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - 

I respect this view. I have zero issue with people thinking Hendricks won, but people are acting as if everyone except 2 judges thought JH won the fight when all you have to do is open your eyes and see there are many people who thought Georges won it. Agree, disagree, whatever; but people disrespect their own opinion by talking in absolutes that don't exist.

Good post.

11/17/13 12:30 PM
CrazyPope
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I need to rewatch the fight now, I really don't get people saying worst decision ever though
11/17/13 7:06 PM
RollHighAllDay
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye -
RollHighAllDay - Just researched round one and it was pretty close. Gsp counters the hook with a double leg then threatens the guillotine. Gsp holds a single leg against the cage as Johnny elbows and uppercuts gsp. Johnny knees gsp's thighs. Johnny takes down gsp. Hard knee by Johnny. Head kick by George. Clinch hard knees to the thigh by Johnny. With a minute left they break the clinch and no significant strikes are landed from either guy.

It's really close, but I would say that gsp controlled the pace for about a minute longer, by holding Johnny on the cage, but Johnny landed more dirty boxing. That's one criteria where there hasn't been a decisive dominant fighter and its always argued in close decisions. Who is more dominant? The guy controlling the clinch? Or the guy striking in the clinch?

If I was going to judge who won the fight I would say Johnny beat up George.
If I was going to judge who won the fight under the unified rules I would say gsp landed more jabs and had like one more takedown in 5.

So so close, I thought Johnny was going to take the nod though. Phone Post 3.0
Control is not jearly as highlty valued in the scoring as Effective Striking. Johnny won round one to anyone being objective and half way intelligent. Phone Post
I agree, if you want to call small punches while defending a single leg effective striking. All it did was cause gsp to stop going for the single leg. He still had Johnny's back to the cage. Johnny would break lose and go back to the center of the octagon. Not too mention the power double George landed first thing to a mounted guillotine. He had superior grappling and he had ring generalship for a minute longer. I still think Johnny won the fight, I'm just trying to avoid my own butt hurt emotions by trying to justify the decision. Round 1 was the deal sealer for the judges who picked gsp. So I watched it without bias. And I watched it, on weed. Man, and this was the best I came up with. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.