UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Expats in Mexico? TME!

11/17/13 5:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Large Intestine
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How's the economy treating you?

Any trouble with internet outages?

Is it problematic getting goodies shipped from the states?

What's the weed situation like?

How much do you pay for a gallon of milk?

Do the chicks dig you?

Etc, etc... Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 5:57 PM
BackOffWarchild
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I lived there for a little over two years, just moved back a year ago. Had a "living in TJ" thread on the OG. I shall answer your questions honestly:

Economy: Mine was great. Mexico's is pure capitalist. 97% dirt poor, 2% middle class to serve the rich, 1% owns everything.

Internet: I had Telnor, and the internet was faster and more reliable than any I've had in the United States, cheaper, and with better customer service. I cannot overstate this: Mexican utility providers are much more efficient, friendly, and reliable than American providers.

Goodies: Long shipping times, and huge import tariffs on digital electronics. It's your best way to ship or buy, but you'll need to get yourself a secure PO box for receiving goods.

Weed: Illegal in Mexico. If you get busted with it you can bribe the cops that arrest you, but if it's someone with an axe to grind (cop that likes your girl, cop that is a friend of a business rival) you are going to prison. MEXICAN PRISON. Weed is cheap and dangerous. Stick to the tequila, if you want real advice.

Milk: A little over 20 pesos, so slightly under two bucks. I never drank it, but cooked with it sometimes, and it seemed fine.

Chicks: OH YEAH. Be careful of the ones that look 20. They may be 16. Which is still legal. But they may be 14. Which puts you in prison. Yes, I know from experience. Older men (40/50s) and younger women (20s) is actually pretty common in Mexico, so there's nothing pervish about younger latinas, but you can go too far. They will be on you like white on rice. I'm talking about walking away from their boyfriends to chat you up. Have fun, don't knock one up.

Whereabouts are you moving?
11/17/13 6:01 PM
domernd1
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn I want to go. Some 16 year old Latinas sound great Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 6:05 PM
SnapLocally
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Mexico currently allows the possession of a maximum of five grams of marijuana for personal consumption, but growing and selling weed is illegal."
11/17/13 6:07 PM
Large Intestine
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man! I don't know, I daydream about living in the central highlands somewhere, maybe Taxco or someplace like that.

So if I wanted to have a $200 blu-ray player shipped to me, for instance, how much might the tariff set me back? Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 6:30 PM
BackOffWarchild
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Large Intestine - Thanks man! I don't know, I daydream about living in the central highlands somewhere, maybe Taxco or someplace like that.

So if I wanted to have a $200 blu-ray player shipped to me, for instance, how much might the tariff set me back? Phone Post 3.0

It's 30 percent, so $60. It's STEEP. But as a "For instance", when I was living there, a $300 PS3 cost over $500 brand new in Mexico. $400 36" HDTVs were 600-800 (after conversion) there. If you live in a border state, you can buy a new one in the U.S., open it (so it's now used), and drive it in, but sometimes you'll still get taxed.

Digital electronics are the biggest day-to-day markup you're going to see in Mexico.
11/17/13 6:34 PM
Large Intestine

Damn, that's stiff. Does that include DVDs and CDs or games?

And more generally, how were you received by the locals? Did you ever feel unwelcome? Ever run into any machismo problems? Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 6:44 PM
BackOffWarchild

Large Intestine - Damn, that's stiff. Does that include DVDs and CDs or games?

And more generally, how were you received by the locals? Did you ever feel unwelcome? Ever run into any machismo problems? Phone Post 3.0

LOL You don't pay for DVDs that way in Mexico. At any swap meet (cheap Mexican indoor mall) you can get new DVDs for 10-15 pesos each (about a dollar). Last night's UFC would be available today for a buck. Usually I got DVDs at 7 or 8 for 100 pesos (about 8 bucks). Same applies to CDs. Steal whatever you want off the internet, nobody is coming to harass you.

As far as locals, it works like this:

Men will hate you for being in public with a Mexican woman (you're stealing their women).
Women will hate your date in public, treat her worse than men treat you (she stole the available gringo).

Vendors will be insanely aggressive in their salesmanship towards you, grabbing you, yelling at you, and attempting to charge you more (sometimes exponentially) than Mexicans would pay. It didn't take me long to realize that the easiest way to shop for anything without a labelled price was to take a Mexican friend, have her inquire about details and pricing, then tell me. For instance, I looked at a townhouse in Tijuana, a "luxury" setup in a gated community. When my Mexican friend inquired, it was 600,000 pesos (about $45k-ish in USD). When I went by in person, I was quoted $120,000, quoted in USD. They will literally try to rob you blind, and get VERY angry when you don't fall for it.

Machismo problems only really come with younger cholo-types and (oddly) white-collar Mexican men that don't welcome the competition. Otherwise, people were OVERLY friendly towards me, in a way that made me sometimes feel uncomfortable. Skipping lines in restaurants (which would piss off the locals), better service at the bar. I played pool weekly at an upscale bar/pool hall in TJ, it would have been classy by American standards. I had a regular server, who would always put my nearest tv on the NFL or NBA. I had a couple of shitty experiences with young nacos (not NARCOs) getting pissy because they wanted the tv on soccer (futbol) and starting shit with my server, who was loyal to a fault. So you'll see that kind of shit.

Overall, a good experience, people-wise. Older Mexican men will WANT their younger daughters hooking up with you, as you are a baby away from being a walking green card. It's a Catholic country, no abortions, so DON'T KNOCK A GIRL UP.
11/17/13 6:49 PM
TSMontana
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used to be FWB's with a MILF who ended up permanently moving down there. She said she loved it down there and was happy she was raising her daughter there versus living in America any further. She said the "drug war" angle was highly overstated in the American media, and felt completely safe being a single mother.
11/17/13 6:57 PM
Large Intestine

This is excellent information, daily vote-ups for everybody. Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 7:00 PM
BackOffWarchild

Large Intestine - This is excellent information, daily vote-ups for everybody. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks! Hit me up on this thread or by PM if you have any specific questions. I loved living there, it had its plusses and minuses, and will share what I can.
11/17/13 7:25 PM
tappout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Relevant to my interests. The information is appreciated, BackOffWarchild... seriously.
11/17/13 7:31 PM
timessquare
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why did you leave? Sounds good...

11/17/13 7:36 PM
BackOffWarchild

timessquare - 

Met the woman of my dreams, moved to North Carolina, got married. She's watching Netflix while I watch the 49ers/Saints game and OGing.
11/17/13 8:02 PM
Large Intestine

BackOffWarchild -
timessquare - 

Met the woman of my dreams, moved to North Carolina, got married. She's watching Netflix while I watch the 49ers/Saints game and OGing.
Mexicana? Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 8:36 PM
tubuku01
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

last time i visited monterrey it looked more and more like an american city as every fast food restaurant imaginable was there. my question to you good sir (blackoff) is:

are the women as spoiled, lazy and entitled as the fat "princesses" here in murica? I'm getting to that age of setting down but the pickings here for a wife are slim and have been thinking of looking a woman with old fashioned values. Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 8:38 PM
BackOffWarchild

Large Intestine - 
BackOffWarchild -
timessquare - 

Mexicana? Phone Post 3.0

Southern white girl. Actually met her through my high-school girlfriend, who is her (and now my) sister-in-law.
11/17/13 8:40 PM
BackOffWarchild

tubuku01 - last time i visited monterrey it looked more and more like an american city as every fast food restaurant imaginable was there. my question to you good sir (blackoff) is:

are the women as spoiled, lazy and entitled as the fat "princesses" here in murica? I'm getting to that age of setting down but the pickings here for a wife are slim and have been thinking of looking a woman with old fashioned values. Phone Post 3.0

Monterrey is wrecked. It went from the nicest city in Mexico to one of the most dangerous in the world in like four months in 2011. Foreign businesses are bailing. The Zetas got shut out of the drug game in that region and turned to extortion and kidnapping, and the city was fucking smashed from a business and economic standpoint. 2nd-most kidnappings per capita in Mexico to the D.F., where it's a legit business.

Rosarito is boarded up, so is everything in Ensenada.
11/17/13 8:46 PM
tubuku01
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BackOffWarchild -
tubuku01 - last time i visited monterrey it looked more and more like an american city as every fast food restaurant imaginable was there. my question to you good sir (blackoff) is:

Monterrey is wrecked. It went from the nicest city in Mexico to one of the most dangerous in the world in like four months in 2011. Foreign businesses are bailing. The Zetas got shut out of the drug game in that region and turned to extortion and kidnapping, and the city was fucking smashed from a business and economic standpoint. 2nd-most kidnappings per capita in Mexico to the D.F., where it's a legit business.

what about mexican women? Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 8:52 PM
BackOffWarchild

tubuku01 - 
BackOffWarchild -

what about mexican women? Phone Post 3.0

Crazy hot when young, the tits and asses, beautiful skin and eyes... OMG. Let me update a couple photos. But they all end up 250 pounds after a couple kids, not wanting to work, and hating everything. On the plus side, older Mexican women I've seen are REALLY passive about their husbands having younger sugar babies/girlfriends on the side. A girl I was dating actually told me I could do what I wanted as long as I didn't embarrass her, even though I wasn't cheating.

But yeah, they get lazy and fat :(

11/17/13 8:53 PM
I cleaned up CRE's CREAM
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What was the worst parts about it? Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 8:56 PM
BackOffWarchild

Here we go, a couple I dated. These girls are EVERYWHERE, and throw themselves at gringos. Take them to a restaurant they can wear heels to, and they'll fuck your brains out.

Bluename please?

Stefany:
http://imageshack.us/a/img46/470/j7sh.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img38/4010/0q14.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/2752/y2ex.jpg

Jen:
http://imageshack.us/a/img841/5340/7ata.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/4844/a3bg.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img11/6629/fjnj.jpg
11/17/13 8:59 PM
BackOffWarchild

I cleaned up CRE's CREAM - What was the worst parts about it? Phone Post 3.0

Petty theft and harassment when shopping.

The culture of theft in Mexico is insane. I don't know if it's unique to Mexico, but it's prevalent. Basically, the thought among Mexicans is if you allow something to get stolen, it's your fault. Don't bring your car battery inside at night? It's your fault someone popped the hood and stole it (this is a huge and popular crime). You set your groceries down on the stairs for a minute while you went in? It's your fault someone walked off with them. And so on. Everyone in Mexico will claim to not like a thief, but nobody can explain why everything is at risk for being stolen all the time.

And I think I already addressed the aggressive salesmanship and lying while shopping in Mexico.
11/17/13 9:03 PM
Mihow
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for pics Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 9:05 PM
I cleaned up CRE's CREAM
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BackOffWarchild -
I cleaned up CRE's CREAM - What was the worst parts about it? Phone Post 3.0

Petty theft and harassment when shopping.

The culture of theft in Mexico is insane. I don't know if it's unique to Mexico, but it's prevalent. Basically, the thought among Mexicans is if you allow something to get stolen, it's your fault. Don't bring your car battery inside at night? It's your fault someone popped the hood and stole it (this is a huge and popular crime). You set your groceries down on the stairs for a minute while you went in? It's your fault someone walked off with them. And so on. Everyone in Mexico will claim to not like a thief, but nobody can explain why everything is at risk for being stolen all the time.

And I think I already addressed the aggressive salesmanship and lying while shopping in Mexico.
Thanks. VTFU Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.