UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 1/2 the shots GSP has taken were in last 3 fights

11/17/13 6:19 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Following his split decision win Saturday night, UFC welterweight champion George St-Pierre has broken a stack of records. He holds the longest title reign in division history, the most wins in the UFC ever (19), the most title bout wins ever (12), and the record for most time in the Octagon (5:28:12).

However, Deadspin editor Tim Marchman wrote a piece on Saturday's main event that contained an unnerving statistic on St-Pierre's career:
Since he first won the welterweight title, he's taken, in addition to who knows how many shots in training, 875 strikes in competition, per the official statistics, with nearly half—412—now having come in his last three bouts. 

This January will mark GSP's tenth year in the UFC. At 32, if the level of competition is rising, and his skills at age 32 are diminishing, and the amount of punishment he is taking is accelerating, if he wants to retire rich and at the top, then perhaps now is the time.

Johny Hendricks wouldn't get another shot at him, fans wouldn't get a rematch, but if that is what GSP wants to do, then so what? If you are truly a fan of the man, be happy for him if he wants to retire.

UFC president Dana White's words have been miscronstrued in some corners. White has a policy of long standing that any UFC fighter who wants to retire, absolutely should retire. Further, White has accelerated the retirement of some fighters were appeared to be pushing too far. What White took issue with was GSP's discussion of taking a break of unknown duration.

"You owe it to the fans, you owe it to that belt, you owe to this company, and you owe it to Johny Hendricks to give him that opportunity to fight again," said White, crucially adding "unless you’re going to retire.

"There’s no I’m going to go on a cruise, and I’m going to be gone for two years, and I’m going to take a hiatus. I’m going to take a leave of absence. Whatever the hell it was that he was saying. That’s not how it works."

White later said that the pair had talked, and related that the emotional issues GSP had aluded to are not that bad, and expressed confidence that the Quebecer would work it out.

However, if St-Pierre does determine he wants to retire, start a family, and open a gym, then be happy for your hero. Isn't a chance to find love, retire, and pay something back to life what we are all fighting for?

11/17/13 7:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wink91wink
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana can be a real asshat sometimes.
11/17/13 7:18 PM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

Hendricks broke him last night. Retired him. Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 7:22 PM
yabadaba
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal - Hendricks broke him last night. Retired him. Phone Post 3.0

Pretty impressive for a guy that was broken to win the last round.

11/17/13 7:28 PM
Brabatross

yabadaba - 
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal - Hendricks broke him last night. Retired him. Phone Post 3.0

Pretty impressive for a guy that was broken to win the last round.

lol, this.
11/17/13 7:43 PM
theingcrowd
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ACL injury slowed him down. It should be no surprise that a fighter like GSP whose style depends on quickness will be less effective after an having ACL tear, even if they have it reconstructed.

In the NFL, many players play just a couple years after an ACL tear before calling it quits. Few regain their previous level of function. Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 7:49 PM
Silverball
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal - Hendricks broke him last night. Retired him. Phone Post 3.0
He was going to retire, i.e. take some time away regardless of what happened in the fight. Hendricks showed him that his original plan was a good one. Phone Post 3.0
11/17/13 7:51 PM
Tweener

Not surprising. He's looked slower and slower in his last several fights; he's on the decline and it's just going to get worse.

I hope he does decide to retire before he's getting knocked out. He's had a great run, but it's pretty evident that he can't dominate as much as he did in his earlier days. He's going to take a lot of damage.
11/17/13 8:06 PM
da Vinci 81
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All athletes reach that past-their-prime point at different times. It's pretty clear GSP has reached that now and I hope he retires for good. The Diaz fight was where I thought he had noticeably lost a step and last night's fight only confirmed it further.

No need to go out their and take more unnecessary damage when you've accomplished as much as he has.
11/17/13 8:16 PM
MRG1
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

more than likely, he has taken more shots in the past few fights from facing striking heavy killers, also its because he's been trying to stand toe to toe with people more from the backlash from fans etc saying he's "playing it safe".

Blame yourselves...lol

11/17/13 8:21 PM
Masakyst
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not entirely surprising when two of those opponents were Nick Diaz, who is widely known as a high volume puncher, and Carlos Condit, who is just a whirlwind of violence.
11/17/13 8:25 PM
MRG1
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masakyst - Not entirely surprising when two of those opponents were Nick Diaz, who is widely known as a high volume puncher, and Carlos Condit, who is just a whirlwind of violence.

this, vu.

11/17/13 8:30 PM
Rafael135
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theingcrowd - The ACL injury slowed him down. It should be no surprise that a fighter like GSP whose style depends on quickness will be less effective after an having ACL tear, even if they have it reconstructed.

In the NFL, many players play just a couple years after an ACL tear before calling it quits. Few regain their previous level of function. Phone Post 3.0

True, after the ACL injury he did not seem the same.

But, his last three opponents (Hendricks, Diaz, and Condit) were tougher and more dangerous than his last three before getting injured (Shields, Koscheck, and Hardy).
11/17/13 8:48 PM
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scary statistic. 3 fights vs. 22 fights.
11/17/13 9:09 PM
PelikanNutz
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just in reference to the DeadSpin article, did anyone else make that connection?

Namely that GSP's undisclosed personal reasons for retirement are actually emotional/physical issues he's experiencing as a result of brain trauma/damage he has accrued through his fight career?

I didn't connect those dots. I got the impression his retirement - or at least what he was suggesting, was due to stuff going on in his personal life that is causing him anxiety.

So when Dana commented on it being a smaller problem that GSP was making it out to be that he was referring to some personal matter in GSP's life rather than GSP's health.

Anyway, fuck Dana for shitting on GSP like that regardless. I'm not a Dana hater but I find the way he carries himself sometimes utterly fucked up and the press conference was his crowning achievement.

I think Dana lost a lot goodwill last night from a lot of fans.
11/17/13 10:40 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

The fact that Nick Diaz of all peopole stopped half his takedowns should be enough to make it clear that GSP has not been the same since his injury layoff.
11/17/13 11:29 PM
Bucephalus

Edited: 11/17/13 11:29 PM
That' similar to JDS's stats. JDS got hit more during JDS vs. Cain 1 than in all nine of his previous UFC fights combined.. That was jus tne fight... and then Cain hit him even more in their second fight.
11/18/13 2:50 AM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What source is he using for these stats? According to Fight Metric GSP has been a total of 1154 times in the UFC and 412 times in his last 3 fights. That's more than a 3rd but considerably below the half claimed.
11/18/13 5:31 AM
KingOfFighters

da Vinci 81 - All athletes reach that past-their-prime point at different times. It's pretty clear GSP has reached that now and I hope he retires for good. The Diaz fight was where I thought he had noticeably lost a step and last night's fight only confirmed it further.

No need to go out their and take more unnecessary damage when you've accomplished as much as he has.

He's 32, he's not past his prime, the competition has gotten stiffer, and evolved. 32 is old now? lol....
11/18/13 5:43 AM
JohnnyChrist

KingOfFighters -
da Vinci 81 - All athletes reach that past-their-prime point at different times. It's pretty clear GSP has reached that now and I hope he retires for good. The Diaz fight was where I thought he had noticeably lost a step and last night's fight only confirmed it further.

He's 32, he's not past his prime, the competition has gotten stiffer, and evolved. 32 is old now? lol....
When your style is heavily reaction and speed based, and having fought for more than a decade, then yes.

When people get worn down in mma has a lot to do with how long they've been fighting, more so than just age, imo. Look at fedor or bj.

Not only that, but GSP is known for training really really hard, which would kndocate his body is even more worn down. Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 5:44 AM
JohnnyChrist

JohnnyChrist -
KingOfFighters -

When your style is heavily reaction and speed based, and having fought for more than a decade, then yes.

When people get worn down in mma has a lot to do with how long they've been fighting, more so than just age, imo. Look at fedor or bj.

Not only that, but GSP is known for training really really hard, which would kndocate his body is even more worn down. Phone Post 3.0
^ indicate** Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 7:06 AM
Samoa
579 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alley - Scary statistic. 3 fights vs. 22 fights.
This. Especially when you think about how much shit he has gotten for being boring in his last bunch of fights. So essentially he has been gettin hit WAY MORE lately than before and still getting shit piled on him for fighting safe. Now he wants to get out because he is obviously past his prime and starting to take way more damage and some people (Dana) want to say he "owes". Fuck that. If he doesn't want to fight anymore I hope he NEVER fights again. Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 7:20 AM
klabo

Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal - Hendricks broke him last night. Retired him. Phone Post 3.0
Might have something to do with the all time most time in the UFC cage you clown... He's spent 5 hours in the cage against the toughest competition arguably of any fighter... He career has retired him. Not some guy he beat 3-2 split decision (and won the last round too clown) Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 7:23 AM
TheFaintingGOATClownedAwayMySN
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - All athletes reach that past-their-prime point at different times. It's pretty clear GSP has reached that now and I hope he retires for good. The Diaz fight was where I thought he had noticeably lost a step and last night's fight only confirmed it further.

This Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 8:40 AM
YHTOMIT2001
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most fighters have on average around 10 years before they start to fall off. GSP has been in the game almost 12 years, plus add in the fact that he tore his ACL. If he wants to retire without taking more damage than he should, now would be the time. He's beaten all the biggest names in his weight over the past 9 or 10 years, so he's got nothing left to prove. Of course, the Hendricks fight leaves a bad taste in some people's mouths but outside of that, he's been extremely dominant.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.