UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kizer: St-Pierre-Hendricks scoring not a concern

11/18/13 9:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The head of the Nevada State Athletic Commission remains confident in the performance of his fight judges despite another controversy involving scoring at UFC 167.

In the headliner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship's 20th anniversary event, judges Tony Weeks and Sal D'Amato handed down scores of 48-47 in favor of Georges St-Pierre, who retained his welterweight title against Johny Hendricks. A third judge, Glenn Trowbridge, saw the fight as 48-47 for Hendricks.

The commission immediately faced criticism from fans, fighters and the media, who thought the officials had gotten the call wrong. Among the sternest critics was UFC President Dana White, who said the regulatory body "used to be the best commission in the world," and said the scores were "100 percent incompetence."

At the post-event news conference, White called for Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval to intervene and said he is scared to promote future fights in Las Vegas, where the promotion is based.

Keith Kizer, who heads the influential athletic commission, said the fiery UFC executive "can say what he wants at the press conference." Kizer ventured that the uproar boils down to a difference of opinion about who won the fight's first round, on which judges disagreed, and the weight of White's comments.

"The last four rounds were scored unanimously," Kizer told USA TODAY Sports on Monday. "The first could have gone either way, as most people thought it could have gone either way, regardless of how they scored it. It's more about Dana's comments than anything else, not about the scoring."

Despite calls for change among fans and media, the commission head said he's received few inquiries about the fight. However, those still aggrieved at the decision have the opportunity to make suggestions on Nevada regulations at a workshop planned for Dec. 2 at the commission's headquarters in Las Vegas. Kizer said he couldn't remember any attendees at a previous workshop.

Former NSAC head Marc Ratner, now a chief liaison between the UFC and athletic commissions, said a UFC representative will be there, but did not say whether changes will be proposed.

In the wake of September's boxing controversy over scoring in Floyd Mayweather's decision win against Canelo Alvarez, C.J. Ross resigned as an NSAC judge after 20-plus years on the job. Kizer defended Ross' scorecard — she had the fight scored a draw in what appeared to be a one-sided fight — and said disciplinary action wasn't necessary, though now-former NSAC commissioner Bill Brady issued an apology to Sandoval.

A fired-up White hinted that the UFC might curtail its event schedule in Nevada, despite the fact that the promotion is based in Las Vegas, which is known as "the fight capital of the world."

"I'm scared to come back here and do fights," White said. "I'm afraid of this state."

Asked whether such a statement is cause for concern with the commission, Kizer said, "Not to me."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2013/11/18/nsac-head-sees-no-cause-for-concern-with-st-pierre-hendricks-scoring/3633423/

11/18/13 9:25 PM
brahmabull81
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would anyone expect any different from this guy. The meme "and not a single fuck was given that day" is PERFECT for the way this guy does his job.
11/18/13 9:29 PM
Hired Gun
641 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana's biggest issue is he has zero control over Kizer and not having 100% control over everything mma related drives him insane. Phone Post
11/18/13 9:29 PM
Itdoesntmatter
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously he just doesnt give a shit.. or is in on the take...
11/18/13 9:32 PM
Bill Pharoni
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anytime this many people are fired up about something, you always take it into consideration. That should be his job.
Keith Kizer comes across as smug, and refusing to back down just because.
11/18/13 9:33 PM
Itdoesntmatter
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hired Gun - Dana's biggest issue is he has zero control over Kizer and not having 100% control over everything mma related drives him insane. Phone Post

If something totally out of your control, made your business look like a circus, a fraud, and void of honor you wouldnt be fuckin pissed about it? I run my own business, and let me tell you, If I ended up in that type of situation that shit on my reputation and made my business look fraudulent? Id go off worse than he did..
11/18/13 9:36 PM
catbath
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kizer definitely takes the approach that admitting any guilt will be thrown back in his face at a later date. I can't think of a single time he's ever admitted to a problem, which would mean his organization has performed flawlessly since he took control. That assertion would be preposterous even if he was doing an excellent job.
11/18/13 9:38 PM
MahatmaPetey
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"My boss didn't watch the fight. Go fuck yourself."
11/18/13 9:49 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's very cool under fire. 

11/18/13 9:54 PM
Doem
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Itdoesntmatter - 
Hired Gun - Dana's biggest issue is he has zero control over Kizer and not having 100% control over everything mma related drives him insane. Phone Post

If something totally out of your control, made your business look like a circus, a fraud, and void of honor you wouldnt be fuckin pissed about it? I run my own business, and let me tell you, If I ended up in that type of situation that shit on my reputation and made my business look fraudulent? Id go off worse than he did..

no dana white did that on his own with his post fight antics.
"the Governor needs to do something about these judges" lol.

Mean while, the next morning rd 1 looks a lot closer then he thought it was and he comes out bad.

11/18/13 9:55 PM
Masakyst
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The last four rounds were scored unanimously," Kizer told USA TODAY Sports on Monday. "The first could have gone either way, as most people thought it could have gone either way, regardless of how they scored it.

He's not wrong. It all comes down to that first round, which was razor thin.
11/18/13 9:58 PM
Raezor19

Masakyst - 
"The last four rounds were scored unanimously," Kizer told USA TODAY Sports on Monday. "The first could have gone either way, as most people thought it could have gone either way, regardless of how they scored it.

sorry but a razor thin round goes to the champ.....always has, always will.....

11/18/13 10:01 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I have seen a TON of people, on Facebook claiming that the UFC is fixed and claiming it's not actually a real sport. These are people from my real life, that don't even know I watch mma. These decisions in big fights, are absolutely having a negative impact on the UFC. Phone Post
11/18/13 10:02 PM
Oontyex
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raezor19 -
Masakyst - 

Where is that in the rules?

More so, the fact that a one sided beat down can be called a close 'fight' because the guy who got smashed got in a few extra jabs when neither fighter was doing much of significance highlights the need to completely reassess the way the scoring is done Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 10:05 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masakyst -

Correct. Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 10:21 PM
JerodR
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masakyst -

Exactly. Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 10:25 PM
pollice_verso
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I first heard the Governor stuff here (didn't see the presser) I thought it was a Walking Dead meme.
11/18/13 10:34 PM
Colboyo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerodR - 
Masakyst -

Exactly. Phone Post 3.0

Exactly.
11/18/13 10:39 PM
Raezor19

Oontyex - 
Raezor19 -
Masakyst - 

Where is that in the rules?

More so, the fact that a one sided beat down can be called a close 'fight' because the guy who got smashed got in a few extra jabs when neither fighter was doing much of significance highlights the need to completely reassess the way the scoring is done Phone Post 3.0

I don't disagree with changing the scoring, but under the current system GSP won by winning more rounds due to 2 of 3 judges scoring a razor close round to the champ.....not uncommon and there would be more outrage if belts changed hands to razor close rounds.....judges can't go back and change the first round because a fighter has more superficial face marking at the end of the fight. Round 1 was scored and the card was sent in before round 2 started.....

11/18/13 10:43 PM
Willo232

The real concern is the fact that Kizer will likely keep his position until he retires. Fucking egg.
11/18/13 10:44 PM
Illidan

Colboyo -
JerodR - 
Masakyst -

Exactly. Phone Post 3.0

Exactly.
Exactly. Phone Post
11/18/13 10:48 PM
Haulport

Kizer is a clown and a hack...

Who gives a shit what he says?
11/18/13 10:52 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NSAC has problems but this fight isn't a big one. Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 10:57 PM
2mmafreaks

Open ass, insert head Phone Post 3.0
11/18/13 11:09 PM
nostripewhite

Read the fucking article guys.

Dana had absolutely no problem with the two judges who gave the fight to GSP beforehand, right?

If that's the case, why is he crying now? Because his opinion differs.

Dana is a moron sometimes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.