UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TJ Grant still fighting June concussion symptoms

11/21/13 12:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The issue of concussion in contact sports has entered the national consciousness, and mixed martial arts is no exception. Among the most prominent cases of concussion in the sport at present is Canadian UFC lightweight T.J. Grant.

Grant was on a five-fight win streak, capped with a first round KO of Gray Maynard in May. A title shot was announced.

Then Grant suffered a concussion in training, with a variety of unfortunate and continuing consequences. In a sport where players punch, kick, elbow, and knee each other in the head, the injury happened while rolling, in a gi.

“I was doing jiu-jitsu in a gi, and I was on top, trying to pass the guard,” said Grant to MMAJunkie. “My partner kind of went inverted and went to roll over. When he came back, his heel hit me in the head. It was just a good, clean shot in the head. I was kind of impressed that it didn’t f—ing knock me out. It was a really hard hit, and there were actually two impacts on the same roll. I don’t know which one did it.

“We just kept rolling after the first shot. From that point, later on in the roll he went for a sweep, and like I always would, I used my head to post out and stop it. That was right at the end of the roll, and after that I knew that I rattled my brain a little bit. I never really had a concussion that I can remember. I’ve never felt anything close to it, but it is what it is."

That was in June.

Grant was out of a scheduled title fight with Benson Henderson, and Anthony Pettis was in. Pettis took Henderson's title, and Grant remained the #1 contender. But a fight with Pettis was scratched due to continuing effects of the concussion. Those lingering effects continue even now, some five months later.

On Wednesday's UFC Tonight, Ariel Helwani reported that while Grant is improving, he is not yet 100%, and does not know when he will be able to return to fighting.

At present, Grant hopes he can start training hard at Christmas. He is currently working on his cardio.

Grant is confident he will be back, but does not know with certainty when. And by the time he does come back, the rankings may have moved on.

"He's in limbo," UFC President Dana White said recently. "He might come back and have to fight another fight. We've got to keep this thing rolling."

When Grant does return, who do you want to see him fight?

11/21/13 12:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Flexo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could end up being a career ender, let's hope not. My local pro fighter had to retire after 1 UFC fight because of a concussion from training. Phone Post 3.0
11/21/13 12:47 PM
Carson's Corner Fan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to know exactly how he got this severity of a concussion while rolling? Phone Post
11/21/13 12:47 PM
1a1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly if he is still having concussion symptoms since June he should probably retire or take a very long layoff. Your health is serious.
11/21/13 12:50 PM
kingkoopa

Damn that's so sad. Dude went on a tear was undisputed #1 contender then this freak accident happens Phone Post 3.0
11/21/13 12:51 PM
Kirik
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Carson's Corner Fan - I want to know exactly how he got this severity of a concussion while rolling? Phone Post

He caught a heel super solid while rolling in a gi, and then stopped a sweep by posting on his head. Somehow that did it, or maybe it did it after lingering effects of the fight with Maynard. No one knows a thing about concussion at present, unfortunately.

11/21/13 1:02 PM
kill joy
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carson's Corner Fan - I want to know exactly how he got this severity of a concussion while rolling? Phone Post

really?  i had my nose broken, saw double for 2 weeks and was concussed and unable to train for a month last year when i got headbutted by a friend while he was drilling a spider guard sweep on me. 

shit happens.

11/21/13 1:09 PM
publics_lowDown_brazilianWax
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kill joy - 

really?  i had my nose broken, saw double for 2 weeks and was concussed and unable to train for a month last year when i got headbutted by a friend while he was drilling a spider guard sweep on me. 

shit happens.

I had an ex concuss herself when she rolled off the side of the bed and dropped all of two feet onto a carpeted floor. These things happen in mma practice.
11/21/13 1:12 PM
Authority Figure

Terrible Phone Post 3.0
11/21/13 1:12 PM
JJLong

But I thought he was faking it and it was all a conspiracy to get Pettis into the title shot...

Isn't that right members of the Underground?

/sarcasm
11/21/13 1:19 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Wow....that sucks for TJ.  To have such a severe concussion after a seeminly minor hit (heel to head while rolling), I'd guess he's had prior concussions and not been aware of them.  Hope he gets better quick and gets his title shot.

11/21/13 1:25 PM
Big Pookie
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sucks man! Really hope he's able to make a comeback with no lingering effects.

As for his next opponent - since Pettis/Thomson also isn't happening for a while, would love to see him fight Gil for the next shot.
11/21/13 1:59 PM
Chris27

JJLong - But I thought he was faking it and it was all a conspiracy to get Pettis into the title shot...

Isn't that right members of the Underground?

/sarcasm

This.  I thought Epwar told everyone this wasnt real, just a plot to get Pettis into a title fight in his hometown. 

11/21/13 2:03 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - Terrible Phone Post 3.0
That's all I can think either. He was on fire. Phone Post
11/21/13 2:18 PM
JimmersonzGlove
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's really scary...I hope things work out for him.

11/21/13 2:29 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope to god this will work itself out. TJ deserves that shot eventually! Phone Post 3.0
11/21/13 2:31 PM
fakezaga
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not the news I wanted to hear, but I hope at least it signifies he is really taking the time he needs to recover and not rushing his return.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.