UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Brothers in Iron

11/22/13 10:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Amos Moses
290 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/22/13 10:15 PM

As it turns out, there are quite a few OGers dedicated to getting under a barbell and pushing themselves to the limit.  Post your questions, comments, routines, technique videos,and anything else related to weightlifting here.

I'll start.  I've only been seriously weight training for twelve weeks, but I've always been in and out of the gym.  I started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine and am having some awesome results. I'm 5'8" 165lbs, and my goal is to lift 1000lbs in the big three lifts by April.

11/22/13 10:20 PM
Amos Moses
290 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do all of my training in my garage with weights I bought on Craigslist. My toes go numb because there's no heat in the garage and I squat and deadlift barefooted.  There's trash everywhere because my ten month old American Bully destroys everything he can put in his mouth.  The pieces of hose are in front of the barbell because it's the only way I can keep my bar from rolling away on the unlevel floor lol

11/22/13 10:41 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
11/22/13 10:42 PM
QuinTheEskimo
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You may consider checking out the strength and conditioning ground. Liftordie has a few videos of him moving enough weight that I will probably never even insult him over the internet for fear that he might hulk smash an entire state. Its pretty inspiring.

Plus there are guys like leigh, vermonter, and taku who are always laying down great advice. You will be pleased I am sure to know that they speak highly of the 5/3/1 method. Phone Post 3.0
11/22/13 10:44 PM
panic686
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/3/1 what is this? Phone Post 3.0
11/22/13 10:54 PM
Amos Moses

On FluffyHippo's No Thread Thread LiftorDie is one of the main dudes posting about lifting.  I'm sure he'll find this thread soon enough.  I've tried posting on the S&C ground, but there's not nearly enough traffic to make a successful thread.

5/3/1 is here, panic.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/ 

11/22/13 11:04 PM
Ghost of Retard
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats a good workout to build a lot of muscle?

I've been skinny my whole life and can't put on any muscle....

11/22/13 11:11 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bench and curl every day brooooooooo
11/22/13 11:52 PM
GROUNDnLB
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So in! Phone Post 3.0
11/22/13 11:53 PM
GROUNDnLB
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amos Moses -

On FluffyHippo's No Thread Thread LiftorDie is one of the main dudes posting about lifting.  I'm sure he'll find this thread soon enough.  I've tried posting on the S&C ground, but there's not nearly enough traffic to make a successful thread.

5/3/1 is here, panic.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/ 

You can always PM him too Phone Post 3.0
11/23/13 12:05 AM
Amos Moses

Ghost of Retard - 

I know you better than that, mister!

Dem legs doe...

11/23/13 9:51 PM
Amos Moses

I want to hurry up and go to sleep so that I can when I wake up. Am I addicted? Phone Post 3.0
11/23/13 10:39 PM
SonOfThePeepHole
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ghost of Retard -

Go eat some food you fuckin hungry skeleton Phone Post 3.0
11/23/13 10:44 PM
QuinTheEskimo
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ghost of Retard -

Curling in the squat rack. You get all the leftover test from the guys who have been using it for squats. Phone Post 3.0
11/23/13 11:04 PM
Amos Moses

Where's the cheapest place to buy chalk? I don't need a hundred dollar chalk stand. I'm thinking about crushing up my girlfriend's daughter's sidewalk chalk, but I don't want purple barbells. Phone Post 3.0
11/23/13 11:36 PM
GROUNDnLB

Amos Moses - Where's the cheapest place to buy chalk? I don't need a hundred dollar chalk stand. I'm thinking about crushing up my girlfriend's daughter's sidewalk chalk, but I don't want purple barbells. Phone Post 3.0
Amazon is amazing for things like that. Sign up for the free amazon prime trial (you can set yourself up to no auto renew) and it's free shipping too! Phone Post 3.0
11/23/13 11:39 PM
Amos Moses

Good info, thanks pal.

Here's Pete Rubish preparing for a competition in a few weeks I believe. Deadlifting 765 for 6 reps.

http://youtu.be/AhhgPy1iQxU Phone Post 3.0
11/23/13 11:58 PM
alley
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 weeks, you say? Are you available to give private coaching?
11/24/13 12:13 AM
GROUNDnLB

Amos Moses - Good info, thanks pal.

Here's Pete Rubish preparing for a competition in a few weeks I believe. Deadlifting 765 for 6 reps.

http://youtu.be/AhhgPy1iQxU Phone Post 3.0
Awesome. You literally can see the metal 45 lb bar curving under all that weight. Unreal... Phone Post 3.0
11/24/13 12:16 AM
rMar89
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was looking for a new routine(I usually switch it up every three months) and a gym buddy of mine told about this one: http://www.t-nation.com/personal-coaching-training-programs/john-meadows/training-1.1.jsp

Anyone every try it? Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 5:49 PM
Amos Moses

Pete Rubish is going to be posting a video soon of an 800 x 5 deadlift.  He's like two years younger than me and ten times stronger than me haha.

Can anybody speak on the pros and cons of sumo deadlifting vs. conventional deadlifting?

11/25/13 6:02 PM
TryhardNobody
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. On track to pull 600 without straps in next 3 weeks (used to need straps for anything over 450 my grip sucked). Pretty excited about it. Was talking to my mom and telling her how happy im gona be and she said "no you wont. you will immediately want 650. youve been telling me the same thing everytime youre about to lift more weight and as soon as you lift it, youre not happy with it and start talking about the next number". Shes probably right. But ill be happy for 12-24hrs at least
11/25/13 6:55 PM
TFK_Ninja Chef
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 7:11 PM
GROUNDnLB

TryhardNobody - In. On track to pull 600 without straps in next 3 weeks (used to need straps for anything over 450 my grip sucked). Pretty excited about it. Was talking to my mom and telling her how happy im gona be and she said "no you wont. you will immediately want 650. youve been telling me the same thing everytime youre about to lift more weight and as soon as you lift it, youre not happy with it and start talking about the next number". Shes probably right. But ill be happy for 12-24hrs at least
One trick that helped my grip IMMENSELY was putting 3-4 45ers on each side of the bar at a benching station or any station where the bar is around waist level.

Then beside one end, grip the end of the bar with a bare hand and lift the bar (obviously the other end of the bar is still resting). You have to grip right at the end of the bar where it is wide so your fingers don't wrap all the way around. Doing 3 quick sets of this (for each hand) will increase your grip strength a huge amount. If you do this 2 times a week, in a month you will not believe your increased grip strength. Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 7:14 PM
Amos Moses

Tryhard, you strong sumbitch! Let's see a video of that.

And the continuing progress is what I love so much about powerlifting. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.