UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC To Start Online Network In 2014

11/30/13 12:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/ufc-planning-closer-to-50-events-in-2014-with-new-online-network/

LAS VEGAS – If you think it’s been tough keeping up with the UFC’s 33 events this year, your job’s about to get much tougher in 2014.

According to UFC President Dana White, the organization plans to host 50 worldwide events next year, and a new online/digital network will be the exclusive way to watch some of them.

Although White shared only basic details about the new venture, he said the new network will serve an important purpose. Events will continue to air on pay-per-view, FOX, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 in 2014, but some of the UFC’s international events are geared toward region-specific audiences. However, if you’re in the UFC’s substantial North American fan base, the online network will assure you can watch all those overseas bouts.

“People don’t understand … the fights that we do in China are for China,” he told MMAjunkie. “The fights we do in Europe are going to be for Europe. But with this new digital network that we’re launching, people who are hardcore fans and want to watch the fights will be able to.

“It’s a completely new experience because what it’s going to be based around is live fights. Obviously, you’re going to have access to the library and lots of other programming that’s going to be on the network, but there’s going to be a ridiculous amount of live fights.”

The organization is expected to announce further details, including availability and cost, as well as an early-2014 schedule, in the coming weeks. But with a potential 50 percent increase in the number of annual UFC shows, the network is one vehicle that White hopes will eliminate some of the many expected headaches ahead.

“I think we’re going to do closer to 50 (events next year),” White said. “In building this business and growing this sport, there are all kinds of challenges. We’ve dealt with just about every challenge you can deal with, and I’m sure we’re going to find new ones that we never knew existed going into these other countries.”
11/30/13 12:53 PM
Card
1969 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The more the better....

11/30/13 12:54 PM
Lobo8

Looks like these are going to be the local ufc circuits to build talent that theyve been talking about for a while. Great to see them working on a way for the hardcores to see them.
11/30/13 12:59 PM
Warriormmd
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds awesome. Now if only somehow I could see fox sport 2 with Comcast... Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 1:02 PM
BlueDream
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

better late than never...If only they'd setup a package deal w/ all the ppvs per year.
11/30/13 1:04 PM
zackthewop
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol

I'm sure there will be a monthly subscription fee or something along those lines. Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 1:06 PM
Pure
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need to be able to access all content including PPV's for 1 monthly fee through an online service.

I'd pay 49.99.

11/30/13 1:40 PM
Warriormmd
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol when 1 hd PPV costs $55? Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 1:42 PM
Galanis
714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dig this idea. Hope the monthly fee or yearly will be low enough. It'd be nice if they'd show the FS2 fights on there since no one gets them!!

11/30/13 1:43 PM
JimmersonzGlove
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome

11/30/13 1:43 PM
TerribleTowel
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BlueDream - better late than never...If only they'd setup a package deal w/ all the ppvs per year.
Yes! Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 1:44 PM
caposa
1656 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I'll just stream it off whatever station they're airing it on in that country.

11/30/13 1:55 PM
BrattMamley
1038 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds good to me. The more fights the better. Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 2:11 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did they say how much it will cost? Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 2:14 PM
Team GDP
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 

I think I'll just stream it off whatever station they're airing it on in that country.

lol this

11/30/13 2:26 PM
JerodR
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will always try to keep up with the UFC and other MMA organizations, however the UFC is going to get too rich for my blood. $800-$1000 or more a year in PPV's is already a bit too much.
11/30/13 2:46 PM
KirikMyName!
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like this idea. Will be fun to watch up and coming fighters make the climb from the regional shows to PPV's in the US.
11/30/13 2:46 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would be ideal is If its one monthly or yearly price and have all events on UFC tv( including PPV) Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 2:55 PM
ArtMinaj

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--qiqtIQOBbU/Tx6KsWm3DJI/AAAAAAAAFxg/QqP50eSqRv4/s1600/network.jpg

11/30/13 2:56 PM
Blunderhooks
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like this might be a baby step towards one day ending traditional PPV and selling all pay events via the website. No need to give up 50% of the revenue to the cable and POV operators, so much better economics. Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 3:02 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"the fights that we do in China are for China,” he told MMAjunkie. “The fights we do in Europe are going to be for Europe."

Well that's stupid. Everyone knows North America is the biggest market for the UFC. That's like the NFL coming out and saying the games in London are for London to enjoy and not anyone else. 

50 cards in 1 year is going to leave a lot of bad cards especially when you stack a few of them....they're already complaining that the roster is too big as it is 

11/30/13 3:45 PM
smth416
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

This Phone Post 3.0
11/30/13 4:11 PM
MMALOGIC

Warriormmd - Sounds awesome. Now if only somehow I could see fox sport 2 with Comcast... Phone Post 3.0

I dont know for sure but I believe you'll be able to get the FS2 fights on this online network.. if not live an immediate replay.

There's also a possibility you'll get all the ppv events as well... if not now in the future, either included in a premium monthly price point or ala cart for an additional cost.

once everyone is consuming live action content over the internet through their TV (estimated to be within the next 10 years),  cable tv packages and satelite services will go away just like paper newspapers.  That means most of that 50% of the ppv revenue that goes to the cable and satelite distributors will dissapear from the supply chain and it will be closer to 10 to 15%.  That means a ppv price of around 29.95 in todays dollars.

The question is will zuffa be able to command more total revenue at 14.95 a month inlcuding the ppv events or a lower monthly cost of say 9.95 plus a 29.95 cost per ppv.... or a monthly cost of 24.95 to 29.95 including everything, or etc...  There's also ad revenue to consider which means more users more ad revenue.

at 14.95 a month you'd need a target of around 2 million subscribers to replace ppv/tv revenue.  400k (the current average ppv buy rate) is more of a likely target for a subscriber base in the short term and most of those people dont consume internet content through their television so it will be alot less than 400k initially.

The problem is at the moment you cant include ppv content without charging a minimum of 49.95/mo because the cable and satelite operators will go crazy.      

11/30/13 4:12 PM
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VERY SMART MOVE!
11/30/13 6:13 PM
zackthewop
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -
Warriormmd - Sounds awesome. Now if only somehow I could see fox sport 2 with Comcast... Phone Post 3.0

I dont know for sure but I believe you'll be able to get the FS2 fights on this online network.. if not live an immediate replay.

There's also a possibility you'll get all the ppv events as well... if not now in the future, either included in a premium monthly price point or ala cart for an additional cost.

once everyone is consuming live action content over the internet through their TV (estimated to be within the next 10 years),  cable tv packages and satelite services will go away just like paper newspapers.  That means most of that 50% of the ppv revenue that goes to the cable and satelite distributors will dissapear from the supply chain and it will be closer to 10 to 15%.  That means a ppv price of around 29.95 in todays dollars.

The question is will zuffa be able to command more total revenue at 14.95 a month inlcuding the ppv events or a lower monthly cost of say 9.95 plus a 29.95 cost per ppv.... or a monthly cost of 24.95 to 29.95 including everything, or etc...  There's also ad revenue to consider which means more users more ad revenue.

at 14.95 a month you'd need a target of around 2 million subscribers to replace ppv/tv revenue.  400k (the current average ppv buy rate) is more of a likely target for a subscriber base in the short term and most of those people dont consume internet content through their television so it will be alot less than 400k initially.

The problem is at the moment you cant include ppv content without charging a minimum of 49.95/mo because the cable and satelite operators will go crazy.      

Lol you think the consumer will see drop in price of ppvs? It's more likely the ufc will keep the same price and make a larger profit. It's not like it's cheaper to order a ufc off their website. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.