UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> RJJ fighting in Moscow to be ready for Silva

12/4/13 10:56 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Roy Jones Jr., 44, is an all-time great in boxing. Anderson Silva, 38, is arguably the all-time great in MMA. And the pair want to box each other, Silva sometimes almost obsessively so.

Now ESPN is reporting that Jones, has not fought since June 2012, wants a tune up fight in Russia as a warm-up for "The Spider."

Many have called for Jones to retire. He is years past his prime and has suffered four brutal knockout losses in his past seven defeats, but he has ignored those calls. Instead, his main goal is secure a victory against the obscure and untested 36-year-old Eddine Benmakhlouf (17-3-1, 8 KOs), while shaking off the rust of his long layoff in order to be ready for the fight he hopes will be made next -- a showdown with UFC star Anderson Silva in a boxing match in the first half of 2014.

"I want to be ready for Anderson Silva in case he beats Weidman," said Jones. "Silva has made it clear that if he wins, he wants me next. I'm here for him. That's a fight that intrigues a lot of people, but I can't fight Anderson Silva coming off such a long layoff. So I needed to get a fight first. If it wasn't for Anderson Silva calling me out, I wouldn't be fighting this fight."

Jones is on a two-fight win streak, but is in the twilight of his career, winning just seven of his last 13 fights. Three of the losses were by knockout.

Silva of course has lost just once since 2006. He hopes to avenge the defeat at UFC 168 on Dec. 28. After that, could a boxing match with Jones really be in store?

For Silva the reasoning is simple - he has admired Jones for decades, and wants to test his boxing skills. Jones has never articulated why he wants to box Anderson Silva. Perhaps he thinks a win over the former and perhaps future UFC champion would resurrect his career or at least his profile. Perhaps he wants to rep boxing in a boxing vs. MMA match up. Or perhaps he thinks it is easy money.

12/4/13 11:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
da Vinci 81
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones sees it as easy money. Silva has a big name and is great on the feet but limit him to boxing only and he won't be nearly as effective. Phone Post 3.0
12/4/13 11:05 AM
Fabes
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GroundSkillz.com, Asst. Regional Mgr.

I don't see it ever happening, but ya never know.

12/4/13 11:22 AM
slowdiver
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Roy was just doing it for the money, I doubt he'd be taking this tune up fight. Why risk it?
I think it's way simple. These dudes just want to play their favorite game together. Phone Post
12/4/13 11:40 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A past-his-prime and completely shot Jones would still murder Silva.

12/4/13 11:45 AM
Aaron Becker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - Would buy the shit out of this. As would every single person here (except the streamers) Phone Post 3.0

you can pay, I'll happily stream
12/4/13 11:49 AM
da Vinci 81
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slowdiver - If Roy was just doing it for the money, I doubt he'd be taking this tune up fight. Why risk it?
I think it's way simple. These dudes just want to play their favorite game together. Phone Post
Well he getting paid for the tune up fight so why not? He's lost 3 ofhis last 5 so it's not like he's worried about hurting his record at this point. Phone Post 3.0
12/4/13 11:54 AM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YouCantHandleMyRiddum -

A past-his-prime and completely shot Jones would still murder Silva.

That's what makes it intriguing.

Lots of folks would disagree with you on that, but just as many would nod in agreement.

And everybody would be absolutely convinced they're correct and that everyone else is an idiot for thinking otherwise.

I find it interesting that Dana isn't aggressively gunning down this idea. Phone Post 3.0
12/4/13 2:58 PM
RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make the fight anyway. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.