UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva: I'll leave UFC if DFW tries to force retire

12/13/13 12:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In the interests of long-term fighter health and safety, UFC president Dana White has pushed fighters of a certain age to retire. This is refreshing and highly ethical on White's part, particularly given the spectacle of fighters in boxing being pushed to compete by promoters even when they clearly suffer from Dementia Pugilistica.

However, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, 38, says White better not try it with him, or he will go fight for someone else.

"If I lose again, all the media will criticize me, say that I’m not the same anymore, and maybe Dana will say it’s time to retire," Silva told Roda Viva in Brazil. "He forced Chuck Liddell to retire. He didn’t want to, and is a guy that made history in the UFC, but you have to be prepared."

"I’d say ‘thank you for everything, but I’ll continue doing what I love in other ways. I’d go to other promotions, fight in other sports, but I’d continue fighting because that’s what I love to do."

Silva intends to quickly end the fight with Weidman at UFC 168 on Dec 28, in order to dispell bizarre fan speculation that he threw the first encounter.

"The fastest I end the fight, the better," he said. "I train the hardest I can to end it quickly. People might say ‘oh, he threw the first fight’. People might say. And if I lose again, some people will say I need to retire, that Weidman is the best. It’s normal, and you have to be prepared for that."

Read entire article...

12/13/13 12:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Is_Normal
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's normal indeed. Silva by first round tko.
12/13/13 12:51 PM
MMA Playwright
921 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's normal. Is_normal and Anderson Silva are correct.
12/13/13 12:53 PM
Mihow
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good

White needs to shove it when it comes to what a fighter wants. He certainly has an opinion, just like all of us do, but he's the head of the UFC. It's absurd to say 'I just let you fight but 2 hours later you should retire now because I have so much compassion' Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 12:55 PM
mijo

If he gets knocked out like he did last time. He needs to rethink about his career. All I can do is think of other fighters like Ken Shamrock, Pat Barry, and others who have taken beatings in their career, and long term effects it will have on their lives. Anderson sounds coherent, but too much heart, and not enough brains.
12/13/13 12:55 PM
I GOT WEE'D ON BY WEIDMAN
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ees normal, bro

Silva finna get mollywhopped again

12/13/13 12:56 PM
Mihow
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'This is refreshing and highly ethical on White's part'

It's disgusting actually but ok UG Blog Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 12:59 PM
TheRaider
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is normal sounds much better to me. When you put the abreviated"it's", it throws everything off.
12/13/13 1:03 PM
LeftLowKick
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mijo - If he gets knocked out like he did last time. He needs to rethink about his career. All I can do is think of other fighters like Ken Shamrock, Pat Barry, and others who have taken beatings in their career, and long term effects it will have on their lives. Anderson sounds coherent, but too much heart, and not enough brains.

oh really? how many times has he been hit by a significant strike? let alone knocked out?
12/13/13 1:08 PM
crumbs
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How can any fighter feel safe after watching Dana rip into Goerge " the easiest fighter to deal with" st Pierre.

Dana drew the line a long time ago, but recently it's become crystal clear, UFC/dana white brand first, fighters careers/feelings/respect/decisions second.
12/13/13 1:15 PM
CowboysStuntDouble
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WSOF would get a lot more interesting Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 1:17 PM
BigBabyBry
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone needs to teach Anderson some synonyms for 'normal'
12/13/13 1:19 PM
kyle223
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does Anderson/Ed Soares read the UG and know we get a kick out of "es normal"?

It never gets old.
12/13/13 1:19 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mihow - Good

White needs to shove it when it comes to what a fighter wants. He certainly has an opinion, just like all of us do, but he's the head of the UFC. It's absurd to say 'I just let you fight but 2 hours later you should retire now because I have so much compassion' Phone Post 3.0
I agree, and I can't be the only one that's disgusted when Rogan pushes for fighters to announce retirement immediately after losing in the octagon. Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 1:21 PM
Stephen Holder

Why is he talkin like that? 'If I lose'?
12/13/13 1:24 PM
lastcall
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think DFW cares about age so much but when he sees great fighters that keep getting ktfo repeatedly he states his opinion that maybe they should retire.

You would never hear Bob Arum or Don King take that stand because they only care about cash not fighters future welfare.
12/13/13 1:34 PM
KneeToFaceKO

I GOT WEE'D ON BY WEIDMAN -

Ees normal, bro

Silva finna get mollywhopped again

Hahaha.
Troll Phone Post
12/13/13 2:38 PM
BigBabyBry
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - As a Silva fanboy, I am all-in with this hope.

Weidman is his toughest opponent ever, by far.

I hope Silva comes in very concerned, because for him to beat Chris, he'll have to hand him a huge beating. Weidman is a beast.

WAR Silva.

I do think it would take more than one shot to down Weidman, but Anderson KO'd Vitor with one blow and Vitor has a good chin so I don't see why not.
12/13/13 2:53 PM
ShanTheMan
911 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajjr0ller -
Mihow - Good

I agree, and I can't be the only one that's disgusted when Rogan pushes for fighters to announce retirement immediately after losing in the octagon. Phone Post 3.0
Agreed on both Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 3:38 PM
DoomFarmer
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 -
KingofBJJ - 

Silva by Chris shitting his pants.

Drinking this early?

He's a fucking idiot.

One of the worst on the forum. Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 3:59 PM
FanToFighter
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rebney is rubbin one out right now
12/13/13 4:24 PM
Siscio

I refuse to believe he said its normal, I need audio.
12/13/13 4:34 PM
TryhardNobody
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris "Sharkeisha" Weidman
12/13/13 4:43 PM
AshBox
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All you hear these days is retirement. ..jesus Phone Post 3.0
12/13/13 4:47 PM
ChaosOverkill
737 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mutiny on deck Dana? 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.