UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Big NoNo's in mma

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/20/13 7:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
buddie
487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thread! I'm sure it has been mentioned (haven't read every post yet), but I'd say giving up position for a submission attempt. E.g. falling to gaurd to sink the guillotine or giving up mount for an armbar attempt (still taught at many schools as a fundemental technique.) Not worth the risk in a no-gi MMA match as it is low percentage and typically ends up with the the top guy losing position.
12/20/13 7:30 AM
buddie
487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShanTheMan - Stop smiling when you get nailed, and don't do the rashad and talk your way into a KO (Machida)

Disagree with this. Smiling when getting hit is a great tactic. It is a psycological mind-f*** to your opponent and it releases endorphins (theoretically) which allows you to relax in the eye of the storm and not get rattled. The more common reaction is to shake your head "no" as if to say "that didn't hurt!" even a novice observer realizes that "no" in that circumstance really means "yes, you got me."
12/20/13 4:15 PM
ajl416az
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buddie - 
ShanTheMan - Stop smiling when you get nailed, and don't do the rashad and talk your way into a KO (Machida)

Disagree with this. Smiling when getting hit is a great tactic. It is a psycological mind-f*** to your opponent and it releases endorphins (theoretically) which allows you to relax in the eye of the storm and not get rattled. The more common reaction is to shake your head "no" as if to say "that didn't hurt!" even a novice observer realizes that "no" in that circumstance really means "yes, you got me."

smiling is the same as shaking your head. any type of faking tough is an easy tell.
if I land a good one, I already felt that impact through the glove/wrap. sometimes I'm not sure, like I may have had to go offline with my head and i'm not sure if I hit shoulder or their arm instead of my target
but if you react in any way to my punch, I know i got you

and you would have to be a really mentally weak dude to get shook by someone smiling when you just punched him in the face. its not intimidating in any way to anyone good at fighting. if their opponent enjoys getting beat up then they will just make all their wishes come true and beat the fuckin brakes off 'em

its way more disheartening when someone is just a machine and they never react to any pain you inflict
12/20/13 4:16 PM
ajl416az

Edited: 12/20/13 4:16 PM
double
12/20/13 4:25 PM
OGT
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedJoke -
OGT -
SDinsomniac - Old stand up coach and rogan say how jab to the body is pretty high risk. Leaves you pretty open to a straight shot. Thin gloves compromise hand safety if u hit a hip bone. Phone Post 3.0
Wouldn't a skull be as bad or worse than punching a hip bone? Phone Post 3.0
Hitting in the head has some give by the head snapping back. Hip bone is like punching a wall. Phone Post 3.0
Makes sense, voted up Phone Post 3.0
12/20/13 7:45 PM
kruid

Training on UFC... Phone Post 3.0
12/20/13 8:34 PM
mm370
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about running from your opponent/ doing the "Starnes Shuffle"

Or

Running out of the cage after a loss like a 13 yr old girl running outta a house party after being felt up Phone Post 3.0
12/20/13 9:21 PM
Cameron0000

Spinning both your arms in circles running at your opponent Phone Post 3.0
12/20/13 9:59 PM
MdGeist

The rubber guard: The technique has it's uses in modern MMA but rarely do any successful subs./sweeps result from it.

Fighters will give away rounds because they will stubbornly pursue trying to mount offense with rubber guard, while their opponent defends and win with positional control alone.

It's really a technique reserved for highly calculated, drawn out matches in BJJ competition. Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 12:32 PM
fan4000

mm370 - How about running from your opponent/ doing the "Starnes Shuffle"

Or

Running out of the cage after a loss like a 13 yr old girl running outta a house party after being felt up Phone Post 3.0
Have you ever competed in a demanding individual sport? Losing is hard to handle, often you run off because you are ashamed. You don't want everyone to see you just standing around being a loser. Don't judge someone after they lose, unless you've went through exactly what they went through. Phone Post
12/21/13 12:43 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bootsy Collins - Uppercut from the outside.
Often thrown with no set up either.
Thisssssss. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 2:54 AM
SDinsomniac

Cameron0000 - Spinning both your arms in circles running at your opponent Phone Post 3.0
The only time you windmill is when they did first. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 5:15 AM
Beltzer

The Tito boxing Cover up used as a complete replacement for head movement and footwork.

Saw Joe Lauzon using it the most recently against Danzig.

12/22/13 7:32 AM
Arlovskis Chin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 things that do my head in are: guys who clearly spar with just kickboxing gloves. Guys who will happily stay in range whilst covered up in a fight. The gloves are 4ozs now, you can't do that, unless you're answering the telephone, every shot will get through.

No.2: guys with incoherent skill sets. Look at a guy like condit, completely coherent- wicked on the feet, tall rangey style with heavy MT mixed in and a nasty guard because nobody really wants to trade with him. Then look at someone like Mir- devastating top game, but never developed his wrestling?! Why? Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 7:32 AM
Arlovskis Chin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beltzer - The Tito boxing Cover up used as a complete replacement for head movement and footwork.

Saw Joe Lauzon using it the most recently against Danzig.

This Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 10:16 AM
mm370
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fan4000 -
mm370 - How about running from your opponent/ doing the "Starnes Shuffle"

Or

Have you ever competed in a demanding individual sport? Losing is hard to handle, often you run off because you are ashamed. You don't want everyone to see you just standing around being a loser. Don't judge someone after they lose, unless you've went through exactly what they went through. Phone Post
It's called being a professional. Have a competed in the UFC? No but I've competed in enough sports to not run off like a little girl when things didn't go my way Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 12:24 PM
CrazyMikeMMA
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Body triangle from bottom. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 12:54 PM
Hawthorne
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Making eye contact in guard.
12/22/13 1:52 PM
Flexo
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SDinsomniac -
ajl416az - dropping your hands

so many dudes would have avoided getting slept if they just kept their fucking hands up when they threw shots
Yeah I always use rampage especially early ufc rampage. Never drops his hands. Great counter left hook. Phone Post 3.0
The picture of the Condit/Hardy KO is perfect too. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 3:29 PM
Peem

KapowZombie - Uppercut to your own jaw ala Johnny Hendricks. Who was that clipped himself in boxing? Anyway, bad move... Phone Post 3.0
Tyson Fury he completely nailed himself square in the face. Hilarious, mostly because he's a raging spunk trumpet. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 3:37 PM
Thingading
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Continuously talk trash beforehand, say that your hatred for your opponent is genuine and that you are going to destroy him.

Then when the fight starts, you circle around the octagon and throw jabs for 15 minutes.
12/22/13 3:50 PM
Peem

Love this thread! A big nono ( in my pointless opinion ) is not gunning for an opponent who is hurt badly from body shots or leg kicks. I know it leaves you open to a counter if you don't set it up but I still feel as long as you're careful the opponent will not make it out the round. A couple of examples would be Overeem vs Browne and Barry vs Beltran, Browne was a ball hair away from being done and Pat should have kicked Beltran's leg off he was barely able to stand. I'm not versed in the art of combat so I welcome the shit storm I may get for this but it is just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 4:07 PM
Martinez!

OGT - 
SDinsomniac - Old stand up coach and rogan say how jab to the body is pretty high risk. Leaves you pretty open to a straight shot. Thin gloves compromise hand safety if u hit a hip bone. Phone Post 3.0
Wouldn't a skull be as bad or worse than punching a hip bone? Phone Post 3.0

Not really. There's always some movement when you hit someone in the head, so it's not like all of the energy of your punch rebounds back into your hand. The hip is just a solid block of bone surrounded by the biggest muscles in your body.

Arturo Gatti destroyed his right hand on Mickey Ward's hipbone with boxing gloves on. IIRC that was the first time he broke it, and he'd probably had at least 100 fights between amatuer and pro careers by that point. Gatti had connected with thousands of power punches to the head for years with no problem. But one shot to Ward's hip ruined his hand.

12/22/13 5:53 PM
damyouz

Nam Phan's prayer hands after EvEry exchange.

And hand shuffling in general...
12/23/13 1:51 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CrazyMikeMMA - Body triangle from bottom. Phone Post 3.0
Why? I always thought it would be easier to sweep your opponent/control their posture that way, but it does seem to be frowned against. Is it because it limits your choices therefor making them easier to defend?

Curious. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.