UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Glory the real threat to the UFC?

12/23/13 1:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mshagger
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ufc has got a little stale to me. Too many guys clinching on the fence, the takedown in the last ten seconds of the round, and guys being more content with top control then winning the fight has ruined it for me. I loved all three glory events. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 1:03 PM
grizzlyedwin
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glory is awesome. However they're are 2 different sports and sometimes even have a different set of fans.

Some fans just strictly like muay thai and kickboxing, others just like MMA and others like both.

The UFC pushes for sloppy Leonard Garcia like brawls when pushing for exciting stand up fights which I'm sure isn't something that pleases kickboxing fans where the majority of them I'm sure enjoy a more technical striking battle instead. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:02 PM
Brock Lobster
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrMead -
Bry Bry - no way will Glory even become popular in USA..i thought i was going to be a big fan until i started watching it..Glory is ok, a few good fights here and there but its kind of boring tbh.,.
I have no idea how you can say that the Glory shows on Spike have been boring. That's just crazy talk. Phone Post 3.0
This. I've seen the last 4 cards and they have been AMAZING. I don't understand how any combat fan can not enjoy Glory Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:12 PM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glory is WAY more exciting to watch then UFC lately,and by lately, I mean the last 3 years. Excluding the HUNT/Silva fight, and a few other gems that come along once in a while.
I really enjoy watching Glory events even WCK kickboxing on root channel.
12/23/13 3:28 PM
Rob San Soo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe, I would watch a Glory event before a UFC now, cool Glory is free on spike. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:28 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
No Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 12:34 PM
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look at the numbers. LOOK AT THEM!
12/24/13 11:32 PM
StretchPlum

Edited: 12/24/13 11:33 PM
Bry Bry expressed the overwhelming view of the American public. Kickboxing has never clicked in America, and K-1's numbers and viewers were incredibly anemic. It can get repetitious, but I never miss a show.
12/25/13 12:28 AM
Strike4Life09

mshagger - The ufc has got a little stale to me. Too many guys clinching on the fence, the takedown in the last ten seconds of the round, and guys being more content with top control then winning the fight has ruined it for me. I loved all three glory events. Phone Post 3.0

this
12/25/13 12:59 AM
EckY
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

r_o_y -
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME - Spike established themselves as the home of combat sports thanks to a lengthy relationship with the UFC.

With Glory on Spike now and Floyd Mayweather Jr. becoming personally invested in the company, should Glory be considered the #1 threat to the UFC?

The UFC by not signing guys like Ben Askren and cutting guys like Yushin Okami/Jon Fitch due to their grappling clinic style maybe has backed themselves into a corner. The fans they are catering to directly might be better served watching GLORY.

By seemingly making it known that a grappling dominant style is frowned upon by the brass of Zuffa, has the UFC in essence helped to promote the GLORY product?

Spike is providing Bellator MMA and GLORY, this makes it easy to DVR.

With the UFC making it increasingly difficult to find their product by spreading themselves over multiple TV networks and now a NEW digital network, will the lazy LCM demographic naturally gravitate to Spike's all in one package?

The UFC by not signing Askren, releasing Okami and Fitch let it be known that they are not providing a format that truly determines who the best fighter in the world is.

The UFC refuses to participate in the tournament format that would lend true credibility to a new Welterweight Champion. By excluding Askren the taint is strong, most believe Askren to be the best 170 in the world at grappling in MMA, styles make fights.

Jake Shields will probably end up the Champ @ 170, but Askren was tooling him in sparring from we have seen.

tournaments aren't always that great. the strikeforce tournament ended with an alternate winning the whole thing. not sure why everyone is so high on tournaments. one or two injuries or freak events...a shitty decision...then it's all a mess.
The only reason that happened is because the UFC interfered with the tournament and took the Reem out. If you just take the Reem wet sum fight out and replace with monson/Cormier then the tournament worked out perfectly and turned Cormier into a star.

Also I like kickboxing and mma, why does it have to be either or? Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 1:36 AM
Errk
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The damage the Glory fighters dish out to eachother is insane. The brutal leg kicks and combinations these guys can eat and keep fighting is a spectacle in itself. The technical skills are off the charts throughout the whole league.
That being said, the variability of MMA is what makes it eternally more exciting for me. As much as I can appreciate the skill demonstrated in Glory it's limitations are the crucial difference.
Successful MMA striking is also very impressive to me too, although it may not be as high level in most cases, they have more variables to think about.
Any success Glory sees will not take away anything from the UFC it will only increase the love for combat sports as a whole.
12/25/13 8:56 AM
john joe
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StretchPlum - Bry Bry expressed the overwhelming view of the American public. Kickboxing has never clicked in America, and K-1's numbers and viewers were incredibly anemic. It can get repetitious, but I never miss a show.

K-1 never even attempted to court the US fanbase. A few token efforts to stage US shows. No understanding of US market or marketing to Americans. Their numbers were shit coz their efforts were useless. K1 was by the japanese for the japanese. They were making megabucks at home from tv money and didn't really care about overseas. Theres more info available on glory fighters In english language now than there was in over 15 yrs of K-1. Totally different company and approach. Kickboxing has not yet been properly attempted in the US. Glory and Spike is the first realistic effort.
12/25/13 10:15 AM
MrHughes1991
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glory is awesome. But it's not mma. Why would it compete with the UFC? Come on guys Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 7:10 PM
matazurka

Edited: 12/25/13 7:12 PM
There is room for TWO: UFC & GLORY
12/25/13 9:16 PM
Roy Batty
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrHughes1991 - Glory is awesome. But it's not mma. Why would it compete with the UFC? Come on guys Phone Post 3.0

A lot of MMA fans used to be boxing and pro wrestling fans. Glory presents a combat sport aimed at the same demo as the UFC; it's not a silly question.
12/26/13 5:56 AM
thunderliger7134
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - 
StretchPlum - Bry Bry expressed the overwhelming view of the American public. Kickboxing has never clicked in America, and K-1's numbers and viewers were incredibly anemic. It can get repetitious, but I never miss a show.

K-1 never even attempted to court the US fanbase. A few token efforts to stage US shows. No understanding of US market or marketing to Americans. Their numbers were shit coz their efforts were useless. K1 was by the japanese for the japanese. They were making megabucks at home from tv money and didn't really care about overseas. Theres more info available on glory fighters In english language now than there was in over 15 yrs of K-1. Totally different company and approach. Kickboxing has not yet been properly attempted in the US. Glory and Spike is the first realistic effort.

I don't profess to be an expert on the history of K-1, but I have heard it said that when K-1 held events in places like America it was basically a PR exercise for back home in Japan. The idea being to promote the idea back home that K-1 was a global sport in a way it really wasn't in reality. They were never really actually making an effort to crack the American market.
12/26/13 6:38 AM
Oontyex

Joeymarvelous - I feel like you're looking at it all wrong. The best blankets are not the best fighters, and by cutting these men, they can no longer manipulate flaws in judging criteria that allow fighters to gain hollow victories by avoiding fights. Which is often all they're doing, and by saying; "I won't (can't) hurt you, so I'll hold you down so you can't hurt me" these competitors become the horizontal version of Kalib Starnes, taking no damage, and offering no damage.

On the threat of GLORY, I'd say that most younger combat sports fans already like all combat sports, and so long as there isn't much counter programming, then the growth of one ultimately helps the other. Phone Post 3.0
This
Well said

Another organization taking in the lnp undesirables doesn't make them a threat Phone Post 3.0
12/26/13 12:46 PM
Mismatch
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First off, big fan of Glory and it's great to see that they're "reviving" the kickboxing scene. I think they will continue to grow and eventually look to put some events on PPV but they will never overtake the UFC at least not in any foreseeable future.

It's just two different sports and while they're both combat sports and aimed at the same demographic, I just don't see too many MMA/UFC fans stop watching MMA to go over to Glory.

Furthermore the thing that really hurts them in north america is the lack of real american stars or even talent and since the money is better in the UFC than it is in Glory at the moment, I don't see that changing any time soon.
12/26/13 1:06 PM
Happiness Bunny
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If presented well it will only rise in popularity.

What was the casual fan and newbie grief with mma? "Durr.. all that gay ground stuff" or something like that. If they can find a way to hook those old casual mma fans they will be set.
5/23/14 8:43 PM
El Capo CRE 500
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I told ya'll
5/23/14 9:01 PM
john joe
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Capo CRE 500 - I told ya'll

go on...?
5/23/14 9:18 PM
Bailx
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC is killing their own brand... that much is true... but the brand is too strong right now not to be able to recover from a few more failures...

... and those failures are:

1) Fight Pass (instead of using FOX Network channels).

2) Rules (they need to take charge and change some of the controversial rules NOW) I won't get into which ones as I'm sure you can figure that part out.

3) Gloves (they need to re-design their gloves to stop with the eye-pokes so much). They won't use ANOTHER promotions design, so they need to do their own pretty soon, lest Jon Jones blinds the entire LHW division (joke).

4) Scoring System.... needs to be friggin changed already... They should use Fight-Metric type stuff (pure numbers) as one of the "judges" and maybe somehow have the "crowd" involved in the judging process (to a lesser degree, 1/5 votes maybe) and then the other 3 judges use a different system... I don't know but they have to do something different moving forward.

5) The Rest of it.... there are so many other things that need work.... better refs, less early stoppages, not as many stand ups, etc etc etc etc....

My boycott continues... as much as I want to watch tomorrows fights, they don't get any more of my money until things change.
5/23/14 11:07 PM
Lex_o

Lion fights has a better style than glory Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 12:39 AM
RKing85
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

short answer - no

long answer - hell no
5/24/14 4:49 AM
KnockoutThoughts
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glory is not a direct competitor. The rules make it more similar to kickboxing than mma. UFC stands unchallenged. Strikeforce was the competitor. They were absorbed. Now it's WSOF in a year or 2. Bellator is a gimmick. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.