UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Don Frye vs Tank Abbott

12/21/13 11:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Diesel67
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you beat your man bloody and the ref doesn't stop it, don't let him get his arm around your neck.
12/22/13 2:07 AM
Soup and Beer
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To this day that remains one of my favorite top 5 fights.

12/22/13 2:23 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VTFU! Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 2:24 AM
effinggoof
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frye had an insane chin.
12/22/13 3:42 AM
Tru
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tank should have won that tournament, but I am a huge frye fan as well.

12/22/13 3:55 AM
teamquestnorth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frye participated in a worked match to get into the finals and face tank Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 4:23 AM
Tommyunited

TriumphUnited.com, MarketingCoordinator
Love how frye just brawls Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 4:42 AM
MrAntichrist
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don is definitely one of, if not my favorite fighter from the old days. Probably the most honest mixed martial artist of the first 10 UFCs being proficient in wrestling, judo, and boxing Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 5:14 AM
Galanis
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/22/13 5:15 AM

It's crazy how close Tank came to winning 2 tournaments. He really got screwed both times. Don and Oleg were both fresh against Tank, because both had worked bouts with their semi final opponent prior to meeting Tank in the finals. They met their training partners in the semis and won by quick worked submission.

Tank was really about to finish Don too, to the point I believe Bob Meyorwitz was saying "he's actually going to do it" at ringside - the UFC was desperate for Tank to win their tournament and become the face of the UFC. However, Tank tripped over Don's foot when going in for the finish and ended up getting choked out seconds later.

What a bummer for Tank, he seriously came so close to winning the tournies twice (his 20ish minute battle with Oleg is the stuff of legend and either man could have pulled it off that night). People forget that about him and try to claim he always sucked, but he was a real threat in the early NHB days. The UFC really did want him to win like I said, and if he did I'd imagine history would be quite different.

12/22/13 11:41 AM
DonFrye_Fan

Frye was a beast! I really wish he could have got his hands on Ruas and Shamrock back then. Too bad they were "injured". Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 11:55 AM
Bry Bry

Frye vs Shamrock at UU2 would have been amazing..

frye/Ruas would have been great

Shamrock/Ruas also would have answered many questions about both fighters..
12/22/13 12:12 PM
ranier wolfcastle
639 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just how i remember it, tank was mauling him til he tripped

12/22/13 2:02 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Galanis -

It's crazy how close Tank came to winning 2 tournaments. He really got screwed both times. Don and Oleg were both fresh against Tank, because both had worked bouts with their semi final opponent prior to meeting Tank in the finals. They met their training partners in the semis and won by quick worked submission.

Tank was really about to finish Don too, to the point I believe Bob Meyorwitz was saying "he's actually going to do it" at ringside - the UFC was desperate for Tank to win their tournament and become the face of the UFC. However, Tank tripped over Don's foot when going in for the finish and ended up getting choked out seconds later.

What a bummer for Tank, he seriously came so close to winning the tournies twice (his 20ish minute battle with Oleg is the stuff of legend and either man could have pulled it off that night). People forget that about him and try to claim he always sucked, but he was a real threat in the early NHB days. The UFC really did want him to win like I said, and if he did I'd imagine history would be quite different.

I think SEG wanted Shamrock to win the tournament. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 2:12 PM
cruedi
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frye grabbing the cage to get position on Tank was classic use of fence. Legal back then.
12/22/13 2:20 PM
Carson's Corner Fan

DonFrye_Fan - Frye was a beast! I really wish he could have got his hands on Ruas and Shamrock back then. Too bad they were "injured". Phone Post 3.0
Ruas would have picked Frye apart standing. Agreed about it being a top 5 favorite. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 2:38 PM
grafzep
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Galanis - 

this
12/22/13 2:57 PM
Carson's Corner Fan

Galanis -

VU galanis. Agree 100%. I would still pay to see Tank-KSham. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 3:32 PM
ranier wolfcastle
639 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

little known fact, tank was drunk for at least 1 of his ufc fights

12/22/13 4:01 PM
Galanis
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
Galanis -

I think SEG wanted Shamrock to win the tournament. Phone Post 3.0

Even if so, that is exactly what happened and what Bob said about Tank. Ken dropped out of that tournie in the first round and obviously by that point, even if they had hoped Ken would win, they were banking on Tank to do it. Not just in that tournie either, the UFC had tried to set up Tank to be a star more than once, but he just never put it together 100% on a given night back then - either he didn't train/take it seriously enough, or things like the UU96 happened - worked fights and tripping over his feet.

Fate is crazy sometimes. Tank is still a legend and I think he should be in the UFC HOF, along with at least 20 other guys from that era. He was the most popular fighter in the UFC for a while. Bullshit the way it is these days.

12/22/13 7:28 PM
Libero21
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This would be a great "master's division" fight, I wish the UFC would have a division of old stars that still would like to make 10k or 20k and would bring probably attract the causal audience enough to pay for PPVS again. With out trimming the roster anymore then they already do. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 8:04 PM
RICKYB
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched this live ,man could bruce beck call a fight. he left for nbc , now if he stuck around , it would of been the better career move , at least financialy
12/22/13 8:35 PM
allforroy
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a quick jab for such a big dude. He was a killer. And how do you not love Frye? Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 9:19 PM
Rabid Bunyip
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both those animals needed to be in HOF before Ken Shamrock Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 9:28 PM
circa305

Man I miss the old UFC.
12/22/13 10:27 PM
CindyO

Carson's Corner Fan - 
Galanis -

VU galanis. Agree 100%. I would still pay to see Tank-KSham. Phone Post 3.0

Me too!!! Me tooooo!

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.