UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Big Nog-most accomplished bjj'er to get subbed?

12/23/13 1:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gokudamus stole my name iv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd probably go with Roan Carneiro being triangled by Kevin Burns. It's not like Roan was even getting punched.
12/23/13 1:05 AM
GaspareBJJ
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis tapping Benson.

The big nog/Mir one is tough only cause Mir is also a beast Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 1:17 AM
truevalon
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If by accomplished bjj'er you mean achievements in grappling tournaments then no, not even close imo. Roberto Traven is more accomplished

12/23/13 1:25 AM
Shosh1n
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed....sorry, I had to :) Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 1:33 AM
Floppy Divac
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/23/13 1:33 AM
truevalon - 

If by accomplished bjj'er you mean achievements in grappling tournaments then no, not even close imo. Roberto Traven is more accomplished

Theeees...and i like to overlook Hughes vs Almeida because Almeida was waaaay rocked.
12/23/13 1:54 AM
Brian McLaughlin
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Igor Zinoviev tapped Mario Sperry with a guillotine

the tap has been disputed by Sperry but it was officially ruled a submission

12/23/13 2:05 AM
JToller
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin Burn subbed black belt Roan Carneiro with a triangle at UFC 85 and Kevin was a blue belt. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 2:15 AM
McSurly
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta say I'm still stunned Jones slapped that Americana on Belfort so easily. Belfort being a bb under Carlson sr for way longer than jones has even been training? That's huge. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 2:35 AM
Sadyv

Grandfather Shoemaker tapped world champ Leonardo Castello Branco out in about 10 seconds.

Big shock at the time, although now people better understand that the high level judo and sambo guys who are known for their ground game are every bit as good as BJJ guys.
12/23/13 2:55 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

RearNakedToke - And Waggney Fabiano getting triangled by Mackens Semerzier(sp?) Phone Post 3.0
And submitted by Benavidez. Phone Post
12/23/13 2:59 AM
Jimmy Rustler
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adulterous_Zucchini - Big nog's grappling prowess is pretty overrated, tbh. He's very good, but there are many, many guys in MMA that are better. His real special ability was to maintain his skill under any and all circumstances. He's truly special in that regard.
He outgrappled Werdum in pride and swept him 3 times. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:13 AM
Jake95
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floppy Divac - 
truevalon - 

Theeees...and i like to overlook Hughes vs Almeida because Almeida was waaaay rocked.

I would say Royler but it's arguable 

12/23/13 3:19 AM
Topsyjt
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian McLaughlin -

I rmbr this. Think I may still have it on VHS lol. Pretty sure they announced Sperry with a huge number of wins and zero loses! And during a takedown attempt Igor's knee split Sperry eye open. Didn't Sperry dominate the whole fight until that knee? Then it almost looked like a crumbled! Igor was strong as hell. No where as technical but strong and fit as hell x Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 5:21 AM
truevalon
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/23/13 5:23 AM
Brian McLaughlin - 

Wikipedia has that one as a TKO (doctor stoppage)

Got any videos of this one? Would really like to see it.

Edit: Found it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnr7wEupThg

Does not look like a tap. Ref stopped it due to a cut.

12/23/13 6:54 AM
SLUGSHOT_331
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Fitch also subbed Roan Carneiro. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 7:16 AM
Sir Taps
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless I missed seeing it mentioned, Roberto Traven getting subbed by Mir was a pretty big scalp.
12/23/13 9:15 AM
SlapUsilly
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royler got manhandled the whole fight but he didn't tap so the stoppage was bullshit.

Renzo got his arm broken and ceremonially tapped.

Royce's corner threw in the towel during the sakuraba fight, so he didn't get technically subbed. And the yoshida thing, its so polarizing, it would need another thread again to get into that one.
Hughes gave him a solid beating though.

So as far as the highest profile BJJ'er to get subbed in MMA.. my vote goes to Roberto Traven, who around that time was near the top of the food chain. Multiple time world champ, ADCC champ..etc and he got armlocked by purple belt Mir.
12/23/13 12:14 PM
eljamaiquino

FistedByaMouse - Mir also submitted Roberto Traven when he was what, blue belt? Phone Post 3.0
This. Traven beat Nog at ADCC. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 2:06 PM
D241
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys have had some great contributions. Thanks to everyone.

12/23/13 2:39 PM
jfw jr

Edited: 12/23/13 2:39 PM
Mackens Semerzier submitted Wagnney Fabiano in the WEC.
12/23/13 2:53 PM
Topsyjt
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlapUsilly - Royler got manhandled the whole fight but he didn't tap so the stoppage was bullshit.

Renzo got his arm broken and ceremonially tapped.

Royce's corner threw in the towel during the sakuraba fight, so he didn't get technically subbed. And the yoshida thing, its so polarizing, it would need another thread again to get into that one.
Hughes gave him a solid beating though.

So as far as the highest profile BJJ'er to get subbed in MMA.. my vote goes to Roberto Traven, who around that time was near the top of the food chain. Multiple time world champ, ADCC champ..etc and he got armlocked by purple belt Mir.
Mir not only armbarred him, he took knocked him down and applied the submission against the fence! Broke his arm too if I rmbr correctly. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:13 PM
minotauro11
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adulterous_Zucchini -
Jimmy Rustler - 
Adulterous_Zucchini - Big nog's grappling prowess is pretty overrated, tbh. He's very good, but there are many, many guys in MMA that are better. His real special ability was to maintain his skill under any and all circumstances. He's truly special in that regard.
He outgrappled Werdum in pride and swept him 3 times. Phone Post 3.0

Nice troll
How is that a troll? It is factual. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:16 PM
caseharts
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME - NOG got subbed by one of the best MMA SUBMISSION guys ever, sport BJJ means nothing in MMA.

Roger Gracie needs lessons from Frank Mir on how to grapple in MMA.

THIS IS FIGHTING.

GRAPPLING MATCHES ARE NOT FIGHTS.
There are sport bjj guys that wreck. Jacare, Maia, werdum, Ya yah etc hold your tongue sir. Roger all was pretty decent. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:28 PM
Eric_Spicely
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin burns being a blue belt submitting a world champion in bjj roan carnerio. Yes fitch subbed him but rocked him bad first. Burns subbed him off his back. Very different Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:31 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TFK_BOZY - Mir could have been one of the Greatest HWs of all time. Had he have taken training seriously and had a good coach for game planning. He takes so much damage that he shouldnt. Very under rated fighter imo. Phone Post 3.0

I'd say his motorcycle accident derailed his career more than anything else.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.