UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Big Nog-most accomplished bjj'er to get subbed?

12/23/13 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adulterous_Zucchini
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minotauro11 - 
Adulterous_Zucchini -
Jimmy Rustler - 
Adulterous_Zucchini - Big nog's grappling prowess is pretty overrated, tbh. He's very good, but there are many, many guys in MMA that are better. His real special ability was to maintain his skill under any and all circumstances. He's truly special in that regard.
He outgrappled Werdum in pride and swept him 3 times. Phone Post 3.0

Nice troll
How is that a troll? It is factual. Phone Post 3.0

Except that it isn't factual. He didn't outgrapple Werdum for 3 rounds (or even one), and he swept him once, not three times. That's also not to mention that Werdum tapped him in their second fight. Check out the fight, if you'd like. You can google it easily
12/23/13 3:28 PM
Eric_Spicely
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin burns being a blue belt submitting a world champion in bjj roan carnerio. Yes fitch subbed him but rocked him bad first. Burns subbed him off his back. Very different Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 3:31 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TFK_BOZY - Mir could have been one of the Greatest HWs of all time. Had he have taken training seriously and had a good coach for game planning. He takes so much damage that he shouldnt. Very under rated fighter imo. Phone Post 3.0

I'd say his motorcycle accident derailed his career more than anything else.
12/23/13 3:55 PM
JToller
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quick -
TFK_BOZY - Mir could have been one of the Greatest HWs of all time. Had he have taken training seriously and had a good coach for game planning. He takes so much damage that he shouldnt. Very under rated fighter imo. Phone Post 3.0

I'd say his motorcycle accident derailed his career more than anything else.
Mir had a great coach at one point but he honestly refused to listen to any game plan. Ask Ken Hahn. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 4:41 PM
Wasa-B
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As usual, prob a distinction should be made between sport BJJ accomplished vs MMA BJJ accomplished.
12/23/13 4:43 PM
MMA Playwright
494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Lindland submitted some black belts, including Lutter.
12/23/13 4:46 PM
D241

MMA Playwright - Matt Lindland submitted some black belts, including Lutter.

Although he ended up losing, Matt Lindland also did a reverse omeplata to Ronaldo Jacare Souza.

I was really impressed he could do that high level move on a guy as accomplished as Jacare.

12/23/13 5:04 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, I can't believe how many people people underestimate Mir's grappling. He's been one of, if not THE most dangerous HW's on the ground for a looooong time, imo. I was surprised he subbed Nog but more from the brutal arm break and how it happened than the fact that he tapped him.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mir tap anyone out there in MMA, including Werdum. His size and aggression on the ground is second to none.
12/23/13 5:25 PM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

McSurly - I gotta say I'm still stunned Jones slapped that Americana on Belfort so easily. Belfort being a bb under Carlson sr for way longer than jones has even been training? That's huge. Phone Post 3.0
Not really considering how that fight was going. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 5:29 PM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

Adulterous_Zucchini -
Jimmy Rustler - 
Adulterous_Zucchini - Big nog's grappling prowess is pretty overrated, tbh. He's very good, but there are many, many guys in MMA that are better. His real special ability was to maintain his skill under any and all circumstances. He's truly special in that regard.
He outgrappled Werdum in pride and swept him 3 times. Phone Post 3.0

Nice troll
Smh... Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 8:02 PM
flawlessvictory
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a high level Bjj guy at all but, chael tapping Bjj black belt shogun is pretty crazy. I'm not surprised chael won but subbing him was a shocker.

We all know chael isn't a submission guy. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 10:56 PM
WrestlingSucks
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson subbed Lutter which is the last result anyone would have guessed
12/23/13 11:18 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - 
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME - NOG got subbed by one of the best MMA SUBMISSION guys ever, sport BJJ means nothing in MMA.

Roger Gracie needs lessons from Frank Mir on how to grapple in MMA.

THIS IS FIGHTING.

GRAPPLING MATCHES ARE NOT FIGHTS.
There are sport bjj guys that wreck. Jacare, Maia, werdum, Ya yah etc hold your tongue sir. Roger all was pretty decent. Phone Post 3.0

not only that, but GRAPPLING is more than grabbing subs off the scramble. Past that, Mir isn't that hot. His takedowns and defense sucks, he takes a ton of punishment on the bottom... I don't think he has much to teach Roger.

12/23/13 11:30 PM
Carson's Corner Fan

Chael getting triangled by Anderson. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 11:45 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

WrestlingSucks - Anderson subbed Lutter which is the last result anyone would have guessed
Not trying to naysay, but I would have definitely picked Anderson by sub, rather than lutter by Ko. Other than the Eastman Ko, Lutter's striking has always been god awful. Definitely a lot worse than Anderson's grappling. But yeah, that was a big shocker, especially after the way the 1st rd went. Phone Post
12/23/13 11:47 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Carson's Corner Fan - Chael getting triangled by Anderson. Phone Post 3.0
Big Chael fan here, but I just can't be surprised by anybody submitting him. That is Chael's curse, I honestly think it goes a lot deeper than just submission defense. Phone Post
12/24/13 1:27 AM
Kneeblock
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say Mir's submission of Traven is one of the most accomplished BBs to ever get subbed in MMA by a lower belt.

Almeida vs. Hughes hurt the most though.

12/24/13 1:50 AM
Affliction Blackbelt
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember a time when the Michael Jordan of BJJ got subbed
12/24/13 2:32 AM
shadysavagecameonmaiaface
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flawlessvictory - Not a high level Bjj guy at all but, chael tapping Bjj black belt shogun is pretty crazy. I'm not surprised chael won but subbing him was a shocker.

I have to say I wouldn't have thought of this one, and I guess I wouldn't rank it as #1. But that was absolutely shocking to me. I'm still sort of shocked by it actually. Full credit to him on that one. Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 2:37 AM
Adulterous_Zucchini

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
Carson's Corner Fan - Chael getting triangled by Anderson. Phone Post 3.0
Big Chael fan here, but I just can't be surprised by anybody submitting him. That is Chael's curse, I honestly think it goes a lot deeper than just submission defense. Phone Post

I think he was joking
12/25/13 1:45 PM
Wasa-B
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flawlessvictory - Not a high level Bjj guy at all but, chael tapping Bjj black belt shogun is pretty crazy. I'm not surprised chael won but subbing him was a shocker.

We all know:

- Chael's offensive sub game has improved of late: he tapped Stann (not that big a deal but still got it), got mount on a healthy Anderson in the rematch without GNP

- Shogun is on the decline

- Wrestlers are good at guillotines

Knowing all that, i was suprised too when it happened but i dont think its as big a deal as its made out to be. Shogun took Chael down too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.