UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How to deal with a gym bully

12/23/13 4:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AlphaMaleJP
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A real coach won't put up with that shit. I usually will just not take them seriously and just try new things on them. Oblique kicks and jabbing the shit out of them will normally piss them off enough to tone it down a notch. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 5:08 PM
SlipSlap
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't read every post, so maybe this has been covered, but have you ever talked to him about this? Does he know he is being a bully Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 7:49 PM
Is_Normal

kao - gym bully is ok should toughen you up a bit. so stop being a silly. i mean how bad can it be. you need to come out of your cage tiger.
That has no place in a martial arts gym. That's the worst mentality. Respect everyone as you would like to be respected. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 9:06 PM
modestoMMAfan
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Larusso we need more details, and maybe you should tell us the gyms name
12/23/13 9:19 PM
Deputy Porker

Don't go to that fucking gym my coach would of had a personal sparring session with him Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 10:49 PM
mclay
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The trouble with sparring is that some people don't realize how hard they are throwing until they knock someone out. Some don't care!

It's easy to say don't hit any harder than you want to be hit but that is perspective.

It takes a 3rd party to monitor the sparring and pull the offending party to the side and check him. If that doesn't work then they'll need a green light and if that doesn't work then it's time for them to leave.

Sparring should be about sharpening your skills with throttled contact based on your skill level and shouldn't go over 60-70% IMHO.

The only folks that should be going anywhere near 100% are professionals preparing for a fight. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 10:59 PM
uberpinscher
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GUVE ME MIAR DEETS Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 3:48 PM
JamesParades
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ProteinOverdrive -
chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0

"All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice."
Wait..... Roadhouse? Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 1:58 AM
NORCAL707

OP,

Id say stop training with people who trane UFC and train at a gym where people train MMA.

Theres a difference. Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 2:07 AM
the venerable dr wu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a fine line between being a bully and training hard to weed out posers, also If you have a fight coming up you should get latitude going full speed Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 2:33 AM
sleepybear70
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mclay - The trouble with sparring is that some people don't realize how hard they are throwing until they knock someone out. Some don't care!

It's easy to say don't hit any harder than you want to be hit but that is perspective.

It takes a 3rd party to monitor the sparring and pull the offending party to the side and check him. If that doesn't work then they'll need a green light and if that doesn't work then it's time for them to leave.

Sparring should be about sharpening your skills with throttled contact based on your skill level and shouldn't go over 60-70% IMHO.

The only folks that should be going anywhere near 100% are professionals preparing for a fight. Phone Post 3.0

this.best post on this thread
12/25/13 6:25 AM
5 o clock shadow

There is a guy at my gym who is always careful with me 'cuz I school him, but he goes batshit when he rolls with my lesser skilled friend. One time my buddy got his back and he stood up and jumped backwards to slam him. Fortunately the instructor pulled him aside later and he cooled down, but I was ready to green light him myself.

Bullies can be calculated about who they push around. Clearly, they don't try to pick on the instructors. Given the nature of mma traneing bullies either get humbled or they leave once they get green lighted.

fos Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 6:29 AM
uberpinscher
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5 o clock shadow - There is a guy at my gym who is always careful with me 'cuz I school him, but he goes batshit when he rolls with my lesser skilled friend. One time my buddy got his back and he stood up and jumped backwards to slam him. Fortunately the instructor pulled him aside later and he cooled down, but I was ready to green light him myself.

Bullies can be calculated about who they push around. Clearly, they don't try to pick on the instructors. Given the nature of mma traneing bullies either get humbled or they leave once they get green lighted.

fos Phone Post 3.0
That's such bullshit - I've had a guy try to fly back and slam me when I was on his back - it rattled me a bit but I maintained position and finished the choke.

To be honest I think it's partially the responsibility if the senior guys at the gym to help "steer" these assholes back to sensibility. If that means tapping them by chest suffocation ur shoulder pressure to the jaw when they are acting a fool then so be it Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 8:11 AM
Rabid Bunyip
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck his girlfriend and sister at same time Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 9:58 AM
BiggRigg
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/25/13 10:01 AM
Op what actually happened here. Like be specific and detailed
1) So you went to the gym in question yes? How did the threats/ bullying instigate?.

2) What specifically did he say?

3) Did this then proceed from face to face to Facebook

4) If yes how, and what was your response during the face to face bullying?

5) Again, what did he actually say specifically and how did you react specifically? The coach defended it. What did he say specifically and how did he become involved? Did you retort his bullying on Facebook leading to the instructor to intervene on his behalf?

You are being to vague. Im not saying your wrong but no one understands because you aren't really telling us anything. What actually happened in detail, how did it happen and when did it happen? Remember details!! People cant advise or help if they don't know what's going on :)
12/25/13 10:07 AM
Bobby Lupo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jTheHybridwolff - 
chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0
This basically explains my gym .
Coach make sure No one acts a fool .
I've noticed it's mostly new guys that act like assholes , And if so coach will calmly pull one of us aside and green lights the guy then switch us during sparring Its Called Gym Justice Phone Post 3.0

This. If some dickwad is picking on the new guy and your coach doesn't either straighten him out himself or sick the enforcer on him, you don't want to trane there.
12/25/13 10:40 AM
CainPoundedMyOldSN

kao - gym bully is ok should toughen you up a bit. so stop being a silly. i mean how bad can it be. you need to come out of your cage tiger.

dis really
12/25/13 10:47 AM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jTheHybridwolff - 
chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0
This basically explains my gym .
Coach make sure No one acts a fool .
I've noticed it's mostly new guys that act like assholes , And if so coach will calmly pull one of us aside and green lights the guy then switch us during sparring Its Called Gym Justice Phone Post 3.0

Because I'm really nice and 140 pounds, this has usually been my role.

It helps that I'm nice as I check their attitude. They can either (a) start being nice, humble, and kind to people; (b) continue getting their ass kicked by me; or (c) quit.
12/25/13 10:59 AM
BatmanTookMyLunchMoney
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KapowZombie -
SpicyTaco20 - This guy threw elbows and knees and kicks 110%. So when we were sparring, i threw an uppercut as hard as i could, KO'd him. Last time he went hard like that again... Phone Post 3.0
Handled like an adult... You are a fucking idiot! Knocking people out in training is the dumbest shit ever, be the bigger man and walk away from stupid confrontation. You wont last long in any martial arts with that kind of mentality... Phone Post 3.0
Stop talking about things you know nothing about zombie Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 12:32 PM
goldenboyart

kao - gym bully is ok should toughen you up a bit. so stop being a silly. i mean how bad can it be. you need to come out of your cage tiger.

I hate to say this on Christmas day, but what you said is just about the most idiotic statement I've heard about bullying.

You are a complete Tard if you honestly think this way.

Behavior like this goes against everything MA stands for. Seeing how the Coach is the proverbial Captain of the ship and everything that happens under him is HIS responsibility and he's STILL doing nothing just shows what a TOOL this guy is.

I'd talk to Coach. If he doesn't see it and do anything about it then you need to leave this 5th rate Macho Bull shit center and find a better place.

Do you think Renzo Gracie or Rickson or Matt Serra or G jackson or any of these guys would put up with actions like that for a second.

There's only a one letter difference between a Big shot AND a Big Shit. wonder which one your bully is, LOL.

Seriously though, it's not worth the headache and chance of getting injuredand if no one speaks up about it then noting will ever get fixed.

Good Luck.
12/25/13 12:43 PM
Tolstolobic

See double impact with van damme. He sort the bully really nice! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.