UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How long will Rousey's reign last?

12/24/13 4:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole looks back on Ronda Rousey's rise, and wonders how long it will last.

The UFC has put on more than 250 events in its more than 20 years of existence, and never before has there been a fighter who commanded such extraordinary attention with such little cage exposure as Rousey.

Rousey has fought one time in the UFC, with 4:49 of cage time.

Yet, by the time this year ends, she will not only have defended her title twice, she'll have starred in a television reality series, had key roles in two major motion pictures, testified in front of state legislatures from one end of the country to the other in support of mixed martial arts, and done a live spot on a late-night talk show. She also was the company's most requested fighter for personal appearances and became the first woman to make the UFC's pound-for-pound Top 10.

With ex-welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre on sabbatical and considering retirement, Rousey is arguably the UFC's biggest drawing card.

The unanswerable question at this stage is whether she'll be able to come close to sustaining the pace she's set. One movie is a year's work for most people. So, too, is a starring role in a television series. And of course, being a professional fighter is a grueling, difficult, full-time job.

But Rousey also gets far more media attention than the overwhelming majority of UFC fighters and that becomes yet another full-time job in and of itself.

And so, the only possible downside with her is sustainability.

Successful athletes have an attitude that maybe doesn't make them the most warm and fuzzy human beings, but it propels them to success. Rousey definitely has that.

Given the pace she sets and the tremendous demands placed upon her, Rousey doesn't figure to be still doing this in 2038, when she would be 51 and challenging Ron van Clief's mark as the oldest fighter in UFC history.

Read entire article...

So what do you think UG? When does Rousey retire, and why? And how crazy is it to be even discussing retirement for someone who has under three years professional experience, and just one fight in the UFC?

12/24/13 4:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
40oztofreedom
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Until chicks learn to fight Oh! Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 4:37 PM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Until the apocalypse?

12/24/13 4:39 PM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

Shes had 1 fight in the ufc and you're talking about how long her "reign" will last? Lmao Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 4:40 PM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

And no I didnt read ur article just lol'd at thread title. Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 4:41 PM
Flyingomaplataman

Till Saturday lol WAR TATE!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 4:43 PM
EvilMaster

Edited: 12/24/13 4:45 PM
She's the top dog in the tiny roster that the UFC has. I think she'll just beat them all easily.

But if the day ever comes, where she accidentally finds herself in a fight with Cyborg. That will be her last fight imo, the beating she'll take will make her not want to fight anymore.

Ronda is the #2 woman's fighter in the world way back in the distance behind Cyborg. Then way back in the distance behind Ronda is everybody else.

Maybe if Carano came back, she might beat Ronda.

But NOBODY in the world of women's MMA stands a chance against Cyborg. Nobody.
12/24/13 4:44 PM
KZTT_W85
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Yet, by the time this year ends, she will not only have defended her title twice"

Lol, If she loses she will not have 'defended' her title twice............ Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 4:45 PM
TFK_SickEye
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC better breed some contenders and fast. She's already doing a rematch with Tate and after that, it's only Cat Zingano. It's gonna be worse than the flyweight division when it comes to depth.

12/24/13 6:06 PM
SteelyRes211
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronda is far from invincible, but there is no woman currently on the roster that can beat her, so she'll hold the belt for quite a while.
12/24/13 6:10 PM
guardbr8kr

Dana is fucked if he doesn't smarten up....
12/24/13 6:11 PM
IIAces

I hope Tate smashes her Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 6:12 PM
IIAces

I hope they smash. I'd watch Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 6:20 PM
FOX Force Five
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Winter Soldier - 

Until she fights either Cat Zingano or Sarah McMann. Both with take Rouseys lunch. Dana knows it. He's been protecting her.

I don't think so.
12/24/13 8:36 PM
FOX Force Five
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be very excited to see either in a title fight though.
12/24/13 8:44 PM
Genghis84

TFK_SickEye - 

The UFC better breed some contenders and fast. She's already doing a rematch with Tate and after that, it's only Cat Zingano. It's gonna be worse than the flyweight division when it comes to depth.

If Rousey beats Tate, her next 3 fights should be Zingano, Davis, and McMann. All three are deserving of title shots and would be very interesting match ups.
12/24/13 8:51 PM
truthisalive
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I look forward to her losing asap. When she talks it's like vomit to my ears.
12/24/13 9:11 PM
banging

3 years or until she stops fighting - basically whenever she wants - unless you see someone with better skills and more desire than her in the pipeline? I love brash, ferocious competitors. She just hates Tate and who exactly do you think can beat her? Cat has a chance, that chic doesn't stop; so maybe it'll be 6 months.
12/24/13 9:51 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It baffles me how Ronda made it to the top 10, when she is only 1-0 in the UFC, and the only person she beat is a blue belt in BJJ who is only 1-2 in the UFC herself and 3-4 in her last seven fights.

And, then, to maintain her "reign", Ronda will fight someone she beat before, and who is 1-2 and her last three fights.

This is a clear case of bias. The UFC is protecting Ronda.

Ronda's head seems to be somewhere else... she already seems bored, is talking about retirement, and she is clearly afraid to lose.

I hope Miesha beats her... that would be great for the sport.
12/24/13 10:16 PM
Genghis84

JustAnotherMMAFan - It baffles me how Ronda made it to the top 10, when she is only 1-0 in the UFC, and the only person she beat is a blue belt in BJJ who is only 1-2 in the UFC herself and 3-4 in her last seven fights.

And, then, to maintain her "reign", Ronda will fight someone she beat before, and who is 1-2 and her last three fights.

This is a clear case of bias. The UFC is protecting Ronda.

Ronda's head seems to be somewhere else... she already seems bored, is talking about retirement, and she is clearly afraid to lose.

I hope Miesha beats her... that would be great for the sport.

Couldn't disagree more. Miesha pulling off the upset just ensures we get an instant rematch. So that means another 3-6 months of their stupid feud being plastered on every page. Far better for Ronda to finish Miesha quickly, destroy this "rivalry" once and for all, and then fight deserving contenders immediately (women such as Zingano, Davis, and McMann). Once they have fought each other, everybody will know who truly is the best 135er.
12/24/13 11:28 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

lol @ the CTs, they're everywhere.
12/25/13 10:22 AM
tom gunning

"The UFC has put on more than 250 events in its more than 20 years of existence, and never before has there been a fighter who commanded such extraordinary attention with such little cage exposure as Rousey."

Brock Lesnar? God, Kevin Iole is a moron.
12/25/13 10:26 AM
Don_Dada
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully until she gets a couple good movie deals going and no longer needs MMA. Then Zuffa can close the division and move on. Phone Post 3.0
12/26/13 10:03 AM
TecHNieK

Think this question should of been asked after Saturday, if she wins
12/26/13 10:05 AM
Paranoya

Untill ppl learn how to defend an armbar..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.