UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Knife making

12/30/13 8:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Altofsky
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alco Hauler - 

I have an old blade from a lawnmower.  Can I make a knife out of that?  Or is that shit steel?

Most times, it's shit steel.

BUT, it makes GREAT practice steel! Much easier to swallow the idea of wasting a lawnmower blade than a bar you actually paid for. ;)

12/30/13 8:24 PM
zombie72
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been making my own knives for a while now, and its surprising how good a job you can do! Use patience and lurk on some knife forums for good advice. Also I use o1 tool steel, it is easy to heat treat and makes a great knife. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 8:29 PM
exile27
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChrisAllen -
exile27 -
ChrisAllen - Any reason he filed the edge instead of using the grinder? 2 hours of filing damn. Phone Post 3.0
I think because the point of that video was to show that you really can make a very decent knife with just basic tools.

Also, I've learned that grinders are kind of a "double edged sword" so to speak. They allow you to get things done way faster, but at the same time allow you to really screw things up, really fast! With hand tools, it's gonna take way longer, but you're much less likely to screw it up.

I started with 3 knives. I tried to grind the first one before I had asked Alto for pointers. I couldn't get my bevels even, and before I even realized it, I had removed half of the steel from the blade! I screwed it up so bad I had to scrap that piece of steel. That's when I sent Alto an email, and with his help was able to finish up the other 2 without destroying them. Phone Post 3.0
Understandable. I was just wondering because he used the grinder to shape the edge after cutting the design. I have done automotive bodywork for over a decade so have a lot of use grinding and sanding. I know you have less control with the grinder and can ruin things quicker, could you grind half way then do the final shaping with the file? I once worked for a company that produced accessories for assault rifles and one of my coworkers was a knife maker and gave me a ton of steel scales that I have always wanted to make knives with but never have. Phone Post 3.0
Not that I do, but you could. Even though I screwed that first blade up, I still finished the other 2 on the belt sander. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 8:31 PM
QuinTheEskimo
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks so much altofsky, i really apreciate all your advice. Now ill just be sitting on pins and needles waiting for some steel to come in. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 8:58 PM
exile27
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zombie72 - I've been making my own knives for a while now, and its surprising how good a job you can do! Use patience and lurk on some knife forums for good advice. Also I use o1 tool steel, it is easy to heat treat and makes a great knife. Phone Post 3.0
Do you sell them, or just make them for yourself? Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 9:01 PM
SMOKING MANHOLE
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Altofsky -
QuinTheEskimo - Thanks man, i somehow didnt even think to look on youtube. What books would you recomend though? Phone Post 3.0
$50 Knife Shop by... somebody.

I'm more of a visual learner. Gotta see it to understand it. Not the best resource for text. Sorry. :( Phone Post
I've got a copy of that one. Phone Post
12/30/13 9:30 PM
snail darter
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a difference in knives made by stock removal versus hand forging them?
12/30/13 9:31 PM
QuinTheEskimo
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SMOKING MANHOLE -
Altofsky -
QuinTheEskimo - Thanks man, i somehow didnt even think to look on youtube. What books would you recomend though? Phone Post 3.0

I'm more of a visual learner. Gotta see it to understand it. Not the best resource for text. Sorry. :( Phone Post
Its been a really cool read so far. I am seriously excited about this at this point. I really want to make a large bowie knife. I have never owned one and id really like to say that i made my own. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 9:36 PM
Altofsky
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zombie72 - I've been making my own knives for a while now, and its surprising how good a job you can do! Use patience and lurk on some knife forums for good advice. Also I use o1 tool steel, it is easy to heat treat and makes a great knife. Phone Post 3.0
There ya go. First blade I did was 1/4" O1. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 9:41 PM
Altofsky

snail darter - Is there a difference in knives made by stock removal versus hand forging them?
Thats like Israel and Hammas with some people.

I like the results of both methods. If I were better equipped to forge Id do it a lot more. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 9:55 PM
exile27

QuinTheEskimo -
SMOKING MANHOLE -
Altofsky -

Its been a really cool read so far. I am seriously excited about this at this point. I really want to make a large bowie knife. I have never owned one and id really like to say that i made my own. Phone Post 3.0
I was in your shoes about a month ago. The main reason I got into knife making was so I could make myself a big-ass camp knife.

Looking back, I kinda wish I would've started with a few smaller blades first. Like I said before, I think the only way to really get good is by actually making knives. The difference between that first piece of steel that I started grinding on and the 3rd is like night and day. So by starting with a few smaller knives instead of just one big one, you'll get more experience actually grinding and getting the technique down. Also, because I wanted a big-ass knife, I went with 1/4" steel. I ran into problems at the end because I hadn't removed enough steel from the blade to get the edge as sharp as I wanted it. So I also wish that I'd started with some thinner steel.

My camp knife is functional, but it's not as good as I want it to be. So I know that eventually I'm going to make another one. For the time being, I'm going to make a bunch of small-medium sized knives, until I really have the technique down and I'm confident that I'll be completely happy with the next camp knife I make.

Just some food for thought... Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 10:10 PM
Caleb Alexander Von Reuter
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to do this in the future, but for now I live in an apartment. Someday! Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 10:18 PM
QuinTheEskimo

That seems like excellent advice exile. . . But im still going big! i bought a four foot bar of .156 x 1.5" Im hoping to make four bowie knife blades with it and wind up with a good knife by the fourth one. Im hoping to get good enough that i can make a few for christmas presents next year without everyone giving me half assed smiles while they hold my fugly knives. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 10:26 PM
exile27

Lol, I like your style!

I think that should be plenty of steel to get at least your 3rd or 4th blade to turn out how you want it. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 10:49 PM
zombie72
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

exile27 -
Do you sell them, or just make them for yourself? Phone Post 3.0
Haven't tried to sell any yet, just given them as gifts so far. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 11:01 PM
Altofsky

exile27 - 
QuinTheEskimo -
SMOKING MANHOLE -
Altofsky -

I was in your shoes about a month ago. The main reason I got into knife making was so I could make myself a big-ass camp knife.

Looking back, I kinda wish I would've started with a few smaller blades first. Like I said before, I think the only way to really get good is by actually making knives. The difference between that first piece of steel that I started grinding on and the 3rd is like night and day. So by starting with a few smaller knives instead of just one big one, you'll get more experience actually grinding and getting the technique down. Also, because I wanted a big-ass knife, I went with 1/4" steel. I ran into problems at the end because I hadn't removed enough steel from the blade to get the edge as sharp as I wanted it. So I also wish that I'd started with some thinner steel.

My camp knife is functional, but it's not as good as I want it to be. So I know that eventually I'm going to make another one. For the time being, I'm going to make a bunch of small-medium sized knives, until I really have the technique down and I'm confident that I'll be completely happy with the next camp knife I make.

Just some food for thought... Phone Post 3.0

You're aware that you're showing obvious signs of addiction, yeah?

Join the fucking club!

I started out cuz I plain old love knives. Anything that can hold an edge, really. I never intended to do anything more than make a few knives for myself and family as gifts. All this that's happened was never the plan. At first, I was resistant to the idea of making blades for money. I still am slightly. But I'm finally getting to the point where I'm happy with my work, so I'm growing more comfortable with doing it for what amounts to a small amount of pay. It's a self-funding hobby thanks to a loyal customer base.

12/30/13 11:07 PM
Altofsky

QuinTheEskimo - That seems like excellent advice exile. . . But im still going big! i bought a four foot bar of .156 x 1.5" Im hoping to make four bowie knife blades with it and wind up with a good knife by the fourth one. Im hoping to get good enough that i can make a few for christmas presents next year without everyone giving me half assed smiles while they hold my fugly knives. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, by number 4, you should have a decent idea what you're doing and whether or not it's something you want to persue. If you continue, expect to grind out at least 100 before making enough mistakes to know what not to do.

And if you have a wife or girlfriend, expect her to get pissed off when you're tempering in her kitchen. And when you track steel in the house. And when you quench tank dumps over. And when you're handsanding on the kitchen table. Mine is a goddamn saint, I swear. Takes an OGer to marry one, I guess.

Anyway, I'm out for the night!

12/30/13 11:47 PM
youarewhatiswrong

Damn it, subscribed. Like I need another reason to spend money on tools.
12/31/13 12:16 AM
Braun187
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 12:23 AM
Alco Hauler
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Altofsky - 
Alco Hauler - 

I have an old blade from a lawnmower.  Can I make a knife out of that?  Or is that shit steel?

Most times, it's shit steel.

BUT, it makes GREAT practice steel! Much easier to swallow the idea of wasting a lawnmower blade than a bar you actually paid for. ;)

I'm gonna give it a go

12/31/13 8:58 AM
QuinTheEskimo

Another question, where and where is it acceptable to mill the knife rather than grind it? I would like to mill out the rough shape on the spine to save time but i heard someone say once that the crystal structure of the steel is disrupted by mill tools being used. Is that the case and if so can i get around it my just normalizing the steel before i heat treat it? I was planning on normalizing anyway because goddard claims that it helps reduce warping. Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 10:46 AM
Altofsky

QuinTheEskimo - Another question, where and where is it acceptable to mill the knife rather than grind it? I would like to mill out the rough shape on the spine to save time but i heard someone say once that the crystal structure of the steel is disrupted by mill tools being used. Is that the case and if so can i get around it my just normalizing the steel before i heat treat it? I was planning on normalizing anyway because goddard claims that it helps reduce warping. Phone Post 3.0
If you're gonna thrice normalize it, milling will be fine. Plenty of makers use mills for doing fullers with no adverse impact. Should be fine. Just be sure to post pics when its done! Phone Post
12/31/13 10:59 AM
QuinTheEskimo

Thats good news, hopefully i can figure out a grinding jig as well to help me hold the blade at the right angle. I know that a real pro learns to just free hand it, but i prefer to cheat. Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 10:59 AM
southcraw
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boom baby Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 11:26 AM
Pretjah
752 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

QuinTheEskimo - Thats good news, hopefully i can figure out a grinding jig as well to help me hold the blade at the right angle. I know that a real pro learns to just free hand it, but i prefer to cheat. Phone Post 3.0

saw a pretty easy grinding jig video on youtube not to long ago 

it was worth doing a search for

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.