UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Knife making

12/31/13 11:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
QuinTheEskimo
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretjah -
QuinTheEskimo - Thats good news, hopefully i can figure out a grinding jig as well to help me hold the blade at the right angle. I know that a real pro learns to just free hand it, but i prefer to cheat. Phone Post 3.0

saw a pretty easy grinding jig video on youtube not to long ago 

it was worth doing a search for

I found one that looks promising but my reception is bad enough im going to havr to wait till tonight. Once again i need to start thinking of youtube right off the bat with these things. Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 11:33 AM
SMOKING MANHOLE
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Altofsky -
exile27 - 
QuinTheEskimo -
SMOKING MANHOLE -
Altofsky -
QuinTheEskimo - Thanks man, i somehow didnt even think to look on youtube. What books would you recomend though? Phone Post 3.0
$50 Knife Shop by... somebody.

I'm more of a visual learner. Gotta see it to understand it. Not the best resource for text. Sorry. :( Phone Post
I've got a copy of that one. Phone Post
Its been a really cool read so far. I am seriously excited about this at this point. I really want to make a large bowie knife. I have never owned one and id really like to say that i made my own. Phone Post 3.0
I was in your shoes about a month ago. The main reason I got into knife making was so I could make myself a big-ass camp knife.

Looking back, I kinda wish I would've started with a few smaller blades first. Like I said before, I think the only way to really get good is by actually making knives. The difference between that first piece of steel that I started grinding on and the 3rd is like night and day. So by starting with a few smaller knives instead of just one big one, you'll get more experience actually grinding and getting the technique down. Also, because I wanted a big-ass knife, I went with 1/4" steel. I ran into problems at the end because I hadn't removed enough steel from the blade to get the edge as sharp as I wanted it. So I also wish that I'd started with some thinner steel.

My camp knife is functional, but it's not as good as I want it to be. So I know that eventually I'm going to make another one. For the time being, I'm going to make a bunch of small-medium sized knives, until I really have the technique down and I'm confident that I'll be completely happy with the next camp knife I make.

Just some food for thought... Phone Post 3.0

You're aware that you're showing obvious signs of addiction, yeah?

Join the fucking club!

I started out cuz I plain old love knives. Anything that can hold an edge, really. I never intended to do anything more than make a few knives for myself and family as gifts. All this that's happened was never the plan. At first, I was resistant to the idea of making blades for money. I still am slightly. But I'm finally getting to the point where I'm happy with my work, so I'm growing more comfortable with doing it for what amounts to a small amount of pay. It's a self-funding hobby thanks to a loyal customer base.

This is my plan to altofsky.
I just can't find any damn time to work on anything working ten hours a day and having a 5 month old child. Weekends are tied up getting shit done that I couldn't throughout the week.

Bums me out

I don't have any fancy tools.
I made a file jig (takes forever but I'm broke), and made a very simple forge.

I'm using O1 for the blades. I'm an aerospace welder so O1 is always laying around. Phone Post
12/31/13 1:03 PM
exile27
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Altofsky -
exile27 - 
QuinTheEskimo -
SMOKING MANHOLE -
Altofsky -
QuinTheEskimo - Thanks man, i somehow didnt even think to look on youtube. What books would you recomend though? Phone Post 3.0

I'm more of a visual learner. Gotta see it to understand it. Not the best resource for text. Sorry. :( Phone Post
Its been a really cool read so far. I am seriously excited about this at this point. I really want to make a large bowie knife. I have never owned one and id really like to say that i made my own. Phone Post 3.0
I was in your shoes about a month ago. The main reason I got into knife making was so I could make myself a big-ass camp knife.

Looking back, I kinda wish I would've started with a few smaller blades first. Like I said before, I think the only way to really get good is by actually making knives. The difference between that first piece of steel that I started grinding on and the 3rd is like night and day. So by starting with a few smaller knives instead of just one big one, you'll get more experience actually grinding and getting the technique down. Also, because I wanted a big-ass knife, I went with 1/4" steel. I ran into problems at the end because I hadn't removed enough steel from the blade to get the edge as sharp as I wanted it. So I also wish that I'd started with some thinner steel.

My camp knife is functional, but it's not as good as I want it to be. So I know that eventually I'm going to make another one. For the time being, I'm going to make a bunch of small-medium sized knives, until I really have the technique down and I'm confident that I'll be completely happy with the next camp knife I make.

Join the fucking club!

I started out cuz I plain old love knives. Anything that can hold an edge, really. I never intended to do anything more than make a few knives for myself and family as gifts. All this that's happened was never the plan. At first, I was resistant to the idea of making blades for money. I still am slightly. But I'm finally getting to the point where I'm happy with my work, so I'm growing more comfortable with doing it for what amounts to a small amount of pay. It's a self-funding hobby thanks to a loyal customer base.

Trust me, I'm well aware... I've been sketching out new designs like a madman while I'm impatiently waiting for more steel to arrive. Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 1:28 PM
exile27
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Manhole- I feel for ya when it comes to having a hard time finding time. I work unusual hours and have a baby at home also. I'm lucky enough to kind of live in the middle of nowhere, so I do most of my grinding late at night after my baby has fallen asleep. One huge piece of advice that I did not follow in the beginning, is don't grind if you're overly tired, and don't rush the steel. Trust me, it only ends with you screwing up a perfectly good piece of steel.

The file jig will take some time, but there are a lot of people out there that do it that way. If you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a belt sander, check out the harbor freight 1x30. I think I paid $36.00 for mine. A lot of guys make some sick blades using that same little 1x30. And I believe Alto started out on a 1x30 as well? Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 6:36 PM
SMOKING MANHOLE
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

exile27 - Manhole- I feel for ya when it comes to having a hard time finding time. I work unusual hours and have a baby at home also. I'm lucky enough to kind of live in the middle of nowhere, so I do most of my grinding late at night after my baby has fallen asleep. One huge piece of advice that I did not follow in the beginning, is don't grind if you're overly tired, and don't rush the steel. Trust me, it only ends with you screwing up a perfectly good piece of steel.

The file jig will take some time, but there are a lot of people out there that do it that way. If you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a belt sander, check out the harbor freight 1x30. I think I paid $36.00 for mine. A lot of guys make some sick blades using that same little 1x30. And I believe Alto started out on a 1x30 as well? Phone Post 3.0
Ha, I forgot all about that little plan of mine. I've been telling the wife for a few weeks that I've been wanting to make a trip to freight.

Thanks for the reminder man! Phone Post
12/31/13 6:39 PM
Altofsky
533 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

exile27 - Manhole- I feel for ya when it comes to having a hard time finding time. I work unusual hours and have a baby at home also. I'm lucky enough to kind of live in the middle of nowhere, so I do most of my grinding late at night after my baby has fallen asleep. One huge piece of advice that I did not follow in the beginning, is don't grind if you're overly tired, and don't rush the steel. Trust me, it only ends with you screwing up a perfectly good piece of steel.

Also, dont grind when youre pissed or in a foul mood. Soooo easy to fuck up. And then you get even more pissed and try to fix it... only to fuck it up more. Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 6:53 PM
Altofsky
533 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I actually started with just an angle grinder. Clamped the blanks down to a bench and ground bevels with a 40grit disc. Needless to say, they looked like shit. I use them to warm my quench oil now. :)

But yeah... 1x30 is the way to go. The hf ones are shit though compared to some other brands. Delta makes a good one. Much more costly though. I only used the hf model(had to buy a second one after the first tracking weel adjuster snapped... extracted the motor and built a FrankenBuffer with a wheel, a machine screw and some jbweld... horribly unsafe, but effective) and it was a lot of frustration with getting things to match. Those platens are not meant for knife bevels. But if you can grind a good blade on one, then you can start to justify the cost of a 2x72. Thats when shit gets expensive. Upgrades, mods, attachments, vfds, tiltingn tables, adjustable tool rests. I could easily dump 5k into one. And then at anywhere from 3-45usd a belt, it adds up. Its an expensive hobby. Gotta feed the monkey though. :) Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 9:42 PM
exile27

SMOKING MANHOLE -

Ha, I forgot all about that little plan of mine. I've been telling the wife for a few weeks that I've been wanting to make a trip to freight.

I'm going this week myself. Gonna pick up a cheap angle grinder, because seriously... Fuck using a hack saw!

Hey Alto, got a bit delayed, but I got your micarta in the press this morning. As long as everything looks good with it tomorrow (and it should), I'll clean up the slab and have it on its way to you by the end of the week. Phone Post 3.0
12/31/13 11:09 PM
Mencken
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey gents, if you go to post #5, the guy gives quite a lot of resources to check out

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/800775-Beginner-Knife-Making-Tips

1/1/14 12:01 AM
exile27

Hey Alto, seems like quite a few people are interested in giving this a try. I've never done one, so I don't know exactly how they work, but maybe you could come up with some sort of build-a-long? I want to say I saw some build-a-long videos on YouTube from 3 Rivers? I also don't know how time consuming it'd be on your end, and I know you're a busy guy, so maybe it wouldn't work? Just a crazy thought that popped in my head just now... Phone Post 3.0
1/1/14 12:05 AM
exile27

I lied, it was Sugarcreek Forge that has all the build along videos. Phone Post 3.0
1/1/14 12:23 AM
Altofsky

SMOKING MANHOLE - 
Altofsky -
exile27 - 
QuinTheEskimo -
SMOKING MANHOLE -
Altofsky -

Join the fucking club!

This is my plan to altofsky.
I just can't find any damn time to work on anything working ten hours a day and having a 5 month old child. Weekends are tied up getting shit done that I couldn't throughout the week.

Bums me out

I don't have any fancy tools.
I made a file jig (takes forever but I'm broke), and made a very simple forge.

I'm using O1 for the blades. I'm an aerospace welder so O1 is always laying around. Phone Post

Tell me about it. Wife, two kids, 55-60hrs a week out of the house. I wish I had more time to dedicate to knifemaking. I could improve so much more if I had more time. But making knives doesn't provide health insurance and I'm not buying that shit on the obama market, so... office work, it is.

1/1/14 12:26 AM
Altofsky

Fuck yeah at the Sugar Creek Forge videos! Tim is an extremely talented bladesmith. One of these days, I'm gonna get together with him and Chuck from CMR Customs for dinner and drinks and pick their brains.

As far as doing a build-along video... I'm ill equipped. I film with the shitty camera on my tablet and am without a tripod. My wife refuses to go in my shop and I still can't find a respirator small enough for a kid, so they can't hold the camera either. One day, I will.

1/1/14 12:28 AM
Altofsky

exile27 - 
SMOKING MANHOLE -

I'm going this week myself. Gonna pick up a cheap angle grinder, because seriously... Fuck using a hack saw!

Hey Alto, got a bit delayed, but I got your micarta in the press this morning. As long as everything looks good with it tomorrow (and it should), I'll clean up the slab and have it on its way to you by the end of the week. Phone Post 3.0

No rush at all man! I am really fucking excited to work with it though! Already got the design drafted up for our blades. Gonna be a mean slicer.

1/1/14 1:53 AM
exile27

Altofsky -
exile27 - 
SMOKING MANHOLE -

No rush at all man! I am really fucking excited to work with it though! Already got the design drafted up for our blades. Gonna be a mean slicer.

Can't fucking wait man! Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 12:00 AM
Arzn1ck
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long do you make the brass pins for the handle? Is there a standard length for that? Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 12:06 AM
youarewhatiswrong
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arzn1ck - How long do you make the brass pins for the handle? Is there a standard length for that? Phone Post 3.0

I would think you cut them to the desired thickness of the handle?
1/3/14 8:29 AM
QuinTheEskimo
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do any of you guys spend much time over at bladeforums.com? Some of those guys make absolutely incredible knives. I recomend anybody dropping by if you want a little more inspiration. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 10:52 AM
Mencken
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For grinding the edge (let's say a Scandi grind), do you guys free hand it, or have you built a jig?  If the latter, were there any great vids you watched to see?  I reckon that's gonna be what I fuck up most 

1/3/14 12:13 PM
Altofsky

youarewhatiswrong -
Arzn1ck - How long do you make the brass pins for the handle? Is there a standard length for that? Phone Post 3.0

I would think you cut them to the desired thickness of the handle?
Yeah, most times I get my tubes and rods as 1-2 foot long stock and just cut it to size. Sometimes a supplier will have end cuts on sale, so you get precut stock thats usually perfect size. Id say 1.25 inches, simply because id rather have too much over too little. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 12:19 PM
Altofsky

Mencken -

For grinding the edge (let's say a Scandi grind), do you guys free hand it, or have you built a jig?  If the latter, were there any great vids you watched to see?  I reckon that's gonna be what I fuck up most 

I freehand my scandis on smaller blades and they come out well. Bigger ones are where I start to find the need for my toolrest and a jig. I dont like doing it though. It just feels awkward and clunky too me with the extra stuff in the way. If I can find a more comrortable way of doing it well, Ill try it. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 12:24 PM
Mencken

So do you grind it close, and then just sharpen with hand tools to get it precise and correct any errors?

1/3/14 1:44 PM
exile27

For the pins, like Alto said, you normally buy the pin stock in 1 or 2 foot sections and cut it down to size. I find it easiest to leave the pins a little longer than I need them to be, and grind them flush as I'm shaping the handle.

I'm a newb, and have not attempted a scandi yet. For now I'm just sticking with a flat or saber grind and am not using any jigs. I'm sure my first few blades would've turned out better if I'd have used a jig, but I don't think I'd learn as much by doing it that way. Once I step up to some of the more tricky grinds I'll probably need a jig, but for now it's all freehand.

For the final edge, as long as you've got the right belts, you can get a wicked edge on the belt sander. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 6:12 PM
Altofsky

Mencken - 

So do you grind it close, and then just sharpen with hand tools to get it precise and correct any errors?

Definitely doable.

My process is pretty simple. Before heat treat, I grind the primary bevels down to an edge of about the size of a dime. Tiny bit thicker if it's a hollow grind as there's less material there and they're prone to warping in the quench. So more material is better in that case.

After HT, I clean up the bevels and grind down to the edge, stopping right before a burr is formed. If I am to keep grinding here until a burr forms, then that's what we call a zero grind. Meaning, there is no secondary bevel that forms the cutting edge. This is the best edge you can put on a blade for slicing performance, but it's also very weak at the tip and extremely difficult to resharpen. So I usually stop right before a burr is formed.

I then take the blade along the slack portion of a 120 grit belt and drastically change my angle. One or two passes forms the secondary bevel and a couple more forms the burr. Flip it around, do the same thing with the other side to knock the burr back over. Once I'm happy with the burr I've formed, I'll switch over to an 600 and then a 1200 grit trizact belt, doing the same thing with both. Once that's done, I take it across a felt polishing belt with green honing compound. Right off that belt, it's stupid sharp. Slicing paper, shaving hair, etc. Then I take it across the hand strop a bit for the final honing. After that, it'll slice newsprint like butter.

Now, of course, all this varies by the type of grind, the thickness of the grind, the steel, and the intended use of the knife... but that's the general process.

1/3/14 6:15 PM
Altofsky

Oh and also, I forgot to mention that when I'm using the 120 grit belt to form the secondary bevel, I'm using it at 3500RPMS. Full speed on the 1.5 HP. When I switch to the trizact belts, I cut that speed in half. Then when I switch over to the felt belt, it's back to full speed.

Gotta watch with those higher grit belts. They'll burn your edge in a split second and ruin days of hard work.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.