UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Knife making

6/14/14 7:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Einar
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Altofsky - Sounds like youre well on your way, man. Cant wait to see your next piece. And the one after that and the one after that.

And youve definitely got me curious about the angle grinder backing setup. I could see that working well on bigger blades where more hogging is required.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated! Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, hogging is what theyre made for. I used to work as a welder and we started using those for beveling thick plates and beams for welding grooves. I could bevel a half inch thick plate faster with a 5 inch grinder with a cubitron disc than if I used a 9 inch grinder with a normal grinding wheel. Not to mention a small grinder is a hell of a lot easier on the arms.
6/15/14 7:48 AM
Tomzilla
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Altofsky - 

Congrats on the pheer, Tom! Best purchase I've made to date.

I'm on the PH428 with all the bells and whistles. 2hp VFD is just amazing. I'm literally in love with it. The rest of my shop could be a wreck, but I still baby that grinder. Rubbing it down with WD40 damn near every day like you see some guys do to a 66 Mustang with a chamois.

I gotta call Jose next week. Dude never responds to emails and I rarely have time to make a phone call, so I haven't been able to get anything from him lately. I need one of his adjustable platens, a 10 or 12 inch wheel, small wheel setup, etc.

I may eventually get one of his dedicated disc grinders as well.

OH AND SPEAKING OF WHICH...

If anyone has any need for 6" abrasive discs, let me know. I've got something like 50-100 that are just sitting around collecting dust. My disc grinder shit the bed so I can't use them and when I do replace it, it's gonna be at least a 9", so these are useless. I'll be happy to donate them to whomever needs em.

Thanks man, I'm excited as shit about it! Can't wait till tomorrow to try it out. Here's some pics of my setup right now. 

6/15/14 8:31 AM
Einar
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomzilla - 
Altofsky - 

Congrats on the pheer, Tom! Best purchase I've made to date.

I'm on the PH428 with all the bells and whistles. 2hp VFD is just amazing. I'm literally in love with it. The rest of my shop could be a wreck, but I still baby that grinder. Rubbing it down with WD40 damn near every day like you see some guys do to a 66 Mustang with a chamois.

I gotta call Jose next week. Dude never responds to emails and I rarely have time to make a phone call, so I haven't been able to get anything from him lately. I need one of his adjustable platens, a 10 or 12 inch wheel, small wheel setup, etc.

I may eventually get one of his dedicated disc grinders as well.

OH AND SPEAKING OF WHICH...

If anyone has any need for 6" abrasive discs, let me know. I've got something like 50-100 that are just sitting around collecting dust. My disc grinder shit the bed so I can't use them and when I do replace it, it's gonna be at least a 9", so these are useless. I'll be happy to donate them to whomever needs em.

Thanks man, I'm excited as shit about it! Can't wait till tomorrow to try it out. Here's some pics of my setup right now. 

Damnit, I'm jealous. Thats a nice workshop, mine looks like something exploded in there. And I want that sander. Do you know if Jose ships internationally, or would I have to do it through JetCarrier or something?
6/15/14 9:02 AM
Tomzilla
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^^ Thanks man! Now if only I could make a blade as clean as yours lol.

I'm not sure about his shipping policies sorry. Here's his email address if you wanna hit him up: pheer327@gmail.com
6/15/14 10:13 AM
Einar

Tomzilla - ^^^^^ Thanks man! Now if only I could make a blade as clean as yours lol.

I'm not sure about his shipping policies sorry. Here's his email address if you wanna hit him up: pheer327@gmail.com

Thanks, I'll shoot him an email and see what he says.
6/15/14 11:51 AM
Altofsky
866 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BushkillBlades.com, Knifemaker
Einar, it might also be worth your time to contact John Wellings. Hes in the UK and if I recall correctly, he does ship internationally.

Tom, nice setup! Quite similar to mine. I really gotta get Jose on the phone. So much stuff I want to add to mine. Looks like a Bora belt you got on there, huh? You're gonna love those for hogging. Did you get to see his monster wheels when you stopped by? I think I saw him working on a 16" recently. Such a large radius, you can do flat grinds on a damn wheel. Nuts. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 11:52 AM
Altofsky
866 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, Einar... have you posted that sword to britishblades? That crowd would love your work. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 11:54 AM
Mencken
679 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Einar, he does ship internationally, though it might be pricey.  He quoted me $400 to ship to Canada.  Where are you located?

6/15/14 12:14 PM
Einar

Edited: 06/15/14 12:14 PM
Altofsky - Also, Einar... have you posted that sword to britishblades? That crowd would love your work. Phone Post 3.0

No, I havent. I posted it on Don Foggs forum http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/

A lot of really good swordsmiths hang out there, and I've lurked there for quite some time reading tutorials etc.

I'll check out mr Wellings, thanks. 

6/15/14 12:21 PM
Einar

Mencken - 

Einar, he does ship internationally, though it might be pricey.  He quoted me $400 to ship to Canada.  Where are you located?

Yikes, thats pricey. I live in Norway, so it would probably be even more expensive to ship. I think it would be much cheaper to have him send it to my JetCarrier adress and have them ship it over to me from New Jersey. About 50 dollars for up to 150 lbs package, according to their website.

6/15/14 6:01 PM
Tomzilla

Altofsky - Einar, it might also be worth your time to contact John Wellings. Hes in the UK and if I recall correctly, he does ship internationally.

Tom, nice setup! Quite similar to mine. I really gotta get Jose on the phone. So much stuff I want to add to mine. Looks like a Bora belt you got on there, huh? You're gonna love those for hogging. Did you get to see his monster wheels when you stopped by? I think I saw him working on a 16" recently. Such a large radius, you can do flat grinds on a damn wheel. Nuts. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks man! I actually didn't get to pick it up because I had to work, so I sent a buddy of mine. I don't know what kind of belt it is lol, that was one he gave me for free. As far as the hogging goes, well I don't know what that means haha.

6/15/14 7:04 PM
Altofsky

Einar -
Altofsky - Also, Einar... have you posted that sword to britishblades? That crowd would love your work. Phone Post 3.0

No, I havent. I posted it on Don Foggs forum http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/

A lot of really good swordsmiths hang out there, and I've lurked there for quite some time reading tutorials etc.

I'll check out mr Wellings, thanks. 

Super talented bunch over there as well. Iforgeiron is another great resource. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 7:06 PM
Altofsky

Tomzilla -
Altofsky - Einar, it might also be worth your time to contact John Wellings. Hes in the UK and if I recall correctly, he does ship internationally.

Thanks man! I actually didn't get to pick it up because I had to work, so I sent a buddy of mine. I don't know what kind of belt it is lol, that was one he gave me for free. As far as the hogging goes, well I don't know what that means haha.

Hogging, man! Cruisin for fat chicks!

Really though, just means eating away at bulk material. Those purple belts are great for it. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 9:03 PM
Tomzilla

^^^^^ Lol. I just found that out! Burnt the shit out of one of he knives I'm working on now. 

6/16/14 12:02 AM
exile27
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I didn't get any grinding done today like I planned. Instead I took the family up to Lake Tahoe for the day. There were pine cones everywhere, so I grabbed a bunch and decided I'm gonna try to make some pine cone scales.

Any one have any idea on how to go about doing it? I tried looking on YouTube and various forums, but there's not a lot of how-to info out there. Phone Post 3.0
6/16/14 1:36 AM
Tomzilla

It looks like its just soaked in fiberglass resin, allowed to dry and then cut to scales? Looks badass that's for sure.

6/16/14 3:56 AM
exile27
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I've read, it sounds like you need to use some sort of vacuum system to get the resin to penetrate the wood and fill all the voids. I'm wondering if I can rig something up using my foodsaver?

Also, it sounds like most people use a different type of epoxy than what I'm using for the micarta, but I'm not entirely sure why? Phone Post 3.0
6/16/14 10:48 AM
Mencken
679 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think the Foodsaver gets even pressure to stablize properly.  I've read 20-25 psi for it.  A brake line pump, which you can get for super cheap from Harbor Freight, will do the trick.  Here's a guy's home setup:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/stabilizing-wood-in-a-homemade-vacuum-chamber.28802/

I gather people have warned about the glass imploding, so be careful.  Probably worthwhile to put your pressurized container in some other type of container/box, just in case it does shatter

There are also a couple other links on that page, and you can see alternate setups.

Also, be sure to research the wood you're using to find out whether it should, or even can, be stabilized.  

6/16/14 2:38 PM
Tomzilla

Altofsky - Hey Tom, didnt get a chance to respond to emails last night.

So when it comes to the handle... are you looking to make a choil(finger grip in the handle)? Or a sharpening notch(small half circle on the blade portion)?

An angle grinder can be used to good effect... just mark your handle clearly first and dont grind past your lines. Slow and steady wins the race.

And no, I dont own a bandsaw. Ive put off buying one at least 15 times as it wont save me any time or improve the quality of work. There's still a laundry list of things I want to improve, but speed of profiling isnt one of them. Im an angle grinding fiend. Phone Post 3.0

Hey Alto, just saw this response sorry. In the pic I posted I was referring to the sharpening notch. I've tried making them and they come out...shitty lol.

What's the process you use for getting them so crisp?
6/16/14 5:32 PM
Altofsky

Chainsaw files and a sharpie, same way I do jimping. Phone Post 3.0
6/16/14 10:01 PM
Tomzilla

Altofsky - Chainsaw files and a sharpie, same way I do jimping. Phone Post 3.0
I guess I've gotta buy something else again lol. Phone Post 3.0
6/16/14 10:43 PM
Mencken

Tomzilla - 

Haha, yah, starting out seems a never ending outpour of money. This grinder, that wheel, that file, etc.   I think I'm very slightly ahead of you right now in terms of getting into the hobby, but I think I'm mostly there in terms of costs (aside from materials, of course).  So the end is in sight! You almost have a full shop

That is, until you want a band saw. And a power hammer.  And a deep kiln. Etc etc etc etc

Haha

6/16/14 11:30 PM
Tomzilla

Mencken - 
Tomzilla - 

Haha, yah, starting out seems a never ending outpour of money. This grinder, that wheel, that file, etc.   I think I'm very slightly ahead of you right now in terms of getting into the hobby, but I think I'm mostly there in terms of costs (aside from materials, of course).  So the end is in sight! You almost have a full shop

That is, until you want a band saw. And a power hammer.  And a deep kiln. Etc etc etc etc

Haha

I'm actually talking to a guy on Craigslist right now about a metal band saw haha. Still having a hard time actually MAKING knives so I should probably concentrate on that for now lol.

6/16/14 11:37 PM
Mencken

Edited: 06/16/14 11:37 PM

There are guys WAY further along than me in this thread, so take this as you will....but I've found I have enough to really get into it.  I have an angle grinder and a belt grinder.  I have a vise and I have files. I have sheets of sandpaper. I have a kiln.  I am already ahead of teh curve for starting out, and yet I have tens of thousands I could still spend.  The way I see it is, I can't run until I can walk, no matter what gear I have around me.  I have everything I need to learn, and now it's up to me.  And I think you're in a pretty similar spot.  Just get at it

That said, I really wanted a band saw this weekend haha

6/17/14 9:13 AM
Altofsky

My youngest was out in the shop with me last night to harden a couple of blades and told me he was gonna use the same touchmark as me when he's older. I'll admit, Im a bit of a hardass dad(not an asshole, but I do have rules) sometimes, but that was just some hallmark shit right there.

And then he laughed at me for ushing when I quenched one. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.