UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is there a double standard in MMA for Rousey?

12/30/13 10:19 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When Ronda Rousey refused to shake Miesha Tate's proffered hand immediately following their fight Saturday night, commentator Joe Rogan described the boos as the loudest he ever heard, making it difficult to even hear the replies.

However, more boorish behavior on the part of some male fighters has received a far different reaction, even celebration.

Justin Pierrot, writing for MMASucka, suggests that the differing reactions are due to gender bias.

We expect women to not show their anger or their frustration in aggressive ways, but instead keep it inside, or – worse still – break down into hysterics.

Many of these people also likely cheered Nate Diaz when he gave the double birds to Kurt Pelligrino during his fight-ending triangle choke.

This past Saturday night Ronda Rousey defeated her nemesis, Miesha Tate, and declined a handshake.

(Image courtesy of Esther Lin)

While it’s certainly an act far from the norm in MMA (even more so on the women’s side of the sport), it’s certainly not the most disrespectful thing to do after a victory. Remember Tito Ortiz? Long before he became a walking punch line, “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” was mocking his defeated opponents by pantomiming that he was digging their graves. This act was done mere seconds after being pulled off of them by the referee stopping the fight. This act gained him innumerable fans.

So how is declining a handshake any worse than that? Before any of you start talking the traditional martial arts credo of respect for all, first ask yourself if you expect the same out of your favorite male fighters. If the answer is, “No,” then ask yourself why that is. If your answer to Question #2 is something along the lines of “Boys will be boys,” then congratulations: You’ve got gender bias.

We live in an equal society. Men and women are both allowed to act as they wish, and moral outrage over behavior should not be a double standard. You can disagree with someone’s actions – and for the record, I don’t agree with Rousey’s decision despite understanding why she made it – but apply the same standard. If not shaking a hand or shouting in a foe’s face is bad, then pretending to dig your opponent’s grave is worse; regardless of who does it. You can’t cut someone more or less slack simply because of what’s between their legs. It’s that simple.

Read entire article...

Is this badass...

While this is bitchy?...

What do you think UG? Is admired bad boy behavior suddenly noxious if a woman does the same thing too?

12/30/13 10:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sillyscreenname
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronda should've flipped her off again while walking away. If you refuse the handshake, at least make it count.
12/30/13 10:40 AM
Jmunzies
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remember how everyone jumped on Brock Lesnar for his Post UFC 100 speech?

Do you remember how many fans HATED Tito?

People didnt like Bisping because of his rant after his fight with Hammill.

I think it is more to do with the fighter, NOT gender.  If your a likable person, people are more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  If people think your a douche, they will use these instances to hate you more.

12/30/13 10:42 AM
Emperor Nero

Edited: 12/30/13 10:43 AM
im glad the guys get along but in my opinion even touching gloves at the start of the fight is too much. if i competed i would do the touch when the referee instructs them to do it and never afterwards. after a respectful fight a handshake is appropriate. im not too into the hugging but a lot of guys do it and you know if they want to then they want to. if there was smack talking and all that reality show drama or whatever happened there then i wouldnt expect it. also the flying knee at start of hall fight was nice but i was wondering if leben expected a high five and got hit with it also it looked like it may have broken his nose ?? generally that double under eye swelling is from a nose injury but oddly his nose looked fine.
12/30/13 10:44 AM
GarlicSauce

Ah, right on cue, a white knight (Justin "Doormat" Pierrot) plays the sex card.
12/30/13 10:45 AM
Rimbaud
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jmunzies - 

I think it is more to do with the fighter, NOT gender.  If your a likable person, people are more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  If people think your a douche, they will use these instances to hate you more.

Exactly.   Tito got booed for his antics too.  Yeah, he had his fans (as Ronda does) but he was always the heel.

Nate Diaz is a different case.  He's got an odd charisma that endears him to people.  Nick does the same type of shit and gets booed for it.  *shruggs shoulders*

12/30/13 10:49 AM
Johnny Ringo
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RondaHonda'dmymangina3744 -
Jmunzies - 

THIS! Wow UG blog you are reaching. 

I agree 100%. I would even go as far as to say Blog is actually out of line. Trying to make a gender issue and create controversy where there is none. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 10:53 AM
Don_Dada
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, the whole crowd in that arena was jeering at the top of their lungs because each and everyone of them was sexist.

12/30/13 10:54 AM
sillyscreenname

Rimbaud - 
Jmunzies - 

Exactly.   Tito got booed for his antics too.  Yeah, he had his fans (as Ronda does) but he was always the heel.

Nate Diaz is a different case.  He's got an odd charisma that endears him to people.  Nick does the same type of shit and gets booed for it.  *shruggs shoulders*

Nate's a cool cat. If he flips somebody off it seems like he does it to more amuse and entertain himself, instead of insulting the other guy. Of course that's part of it too but it just appears to be the secondary goal for him. Foremost he's simply having fun. I think that's what it is, he's enjoying himself more than Nick who just takes everything very serious.

That said, Nate still gets flak for that stuff from some people.
12/30/13 10:55 AM
FADE521

I think it is more of people are tired of being force fed ronda. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 10:55 AM
sillyscreenname

Johnny Ringo - 
RondaHonda'dmymangina3744 -
Jmunzies - 

THIS! Wow UG blog you are reaching. 

I agree 100%. I would even go as far as to say Blog is actually out of line. Trying to make a gender issue and create controversy where there is none. Phone Post 3.0

Chris and Kirik are fighting for those view counts and they are fighting dirty.
12/30/13 10:56 AM
Aaron Becker

Jmunzies - 

this!
12/30/13 10:59 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Diaz Brothers do their thing where they have to hate the guy they're fighting, but when it comes down to it they (for the most part) understand sportsmanship and being a martial artist.

Case in point would be Nick vs GSP. Despite all the shit-talking and middle fingers, after the fight they shook hands, hugged and Diaz raised GSP's hand. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 11:09 AM
LucasBTiger
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don_Dada -

Yeah, the whole crowd in that arena was jeering at the top of their lungs because each and everyone of them was sexist.

Exactly. Thread is bullshit. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 11:11 AM
inf0
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol Tito.. anyone ever hear the string of boohs for that chuckle head?

Rousey is a mean wench, she gets off on it.

12/30/13 11:13 AM
CDarwin
862 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthernIrishZombie - The Diaz Brothers do their thing where they have to hate the guy they're fighting, but when it comes down to it they (for the most part) understand sportsmanship and being a martial artist.

Case in point would be Nick vs GSP. Despite all the shit-talking and middle fingers, after the fight they shook hands, hugged and Diaz raised GSP's hand. Phone Post 3.0
My thoughts exactly.

Not accepting a handshake after a fight is something special. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 11:19 AM
ranier wolfcastle
1175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

most of the forum thought this was badasshttp://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/shamrock_diaz_presser.jpg

yet this, most of the forum calls bitchy and unsportsmanlike:

http://www.mmasentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1004896_549554925092062_2025467366_n.jpg

12/30/13 11:20 AM
TheHaunted2

I don't like all 3 of the assholes in the article, so no. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 11:29 AM
TFK_Fanboy
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jmunzies -

Boom Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 11:31 AM
NukerMMA

Home Business Baller, The Baller

nope. Don't like any of the bullshit any of these fighters pulled.

Don't give a fuck how many WWE fans love it.

I started watching MMA for the martial arts.  Respect, honor, and competition.  

Fuck these modern day MMA attention-whores.

12/30/13 11:34 AM
Rimbaud
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle - 

most of the forum thought this was badasshttp://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/shamrock_diaz_presser.jpg

yet this, most of the forum calls bitchy and unsportsmanlike:

http://www.mmasentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1004896_549554925092062_2025467366_n.jpg

It's one thing to do that before the fight, but after you've throwndown with that person in the cage is another story. After whooping his ass, Nick took Frank's hand, helped him up, and hugged him.

12/30/13 11:39 AM
stonepony

She has been gracious after every single fight, except for this one. She was gracious after she ripped Tate's arm off the first time. Why would she shake her hand, knowing she's going to go straight to Twitter and start talking shit?

Haters should probably just grow up and stop with the personality worship anyway. It's a professional sport, not Jersey Shore. She could put a video up, of her walking her dog for half an hour, and it would be featured on the UG. And tards would find something to bitch about.
12/30/13 11:46 AM
JudoknowNothing

The fact that this is still being talked about is absurd.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Phone Post 3.0
12/30/13 11:50 AM
NukerMMA

Edited: 12/30/13 11:51 AM
Home Business Baller, The Baller
JudoknowNothing - The fact that this is still being talked about is absurd.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Phone Post 3.0

Its not a big deal for a permantly niche sport.  If zuffa wants to be truly mainstream they need adult fighters.  

If I wanted to watch two angry little girls fight I'd hang out at the local high school.  

I was one of the Ronda's biggest supporters until I realized what a bitch she was.  Now her fights are my piss breaks...unless shes losing.

I don't watch any of the other disrespectful scumbags fight either.  

12/30/13 12:03 PM
TBidness
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, that Tito photo would not go well this day and age.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.