UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> members who have been here 14 yrs or more ck in

1/1/14 6:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CDarwin
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

14 and counting, my noob join date not withstanding.

1/1/14 6:54 PM
rockafella
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here. I used to love walking uphill both ways just to post on this forum.
1/1/14 6:55 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

I'd like to ask you old timers about the context of mma back before UFC 1.

What was bigger, rings or pancrase?

Was there a rivalry between the two like UFC/Pride?

Who were some of the stars that may not have got the recognition they deserve?

Especially who are fighters who were good back then but didn't get much recognition b/c their careers or primes of their careers were over before UFC/Pride started taking off?

Seems like Yukai Nukai(sp) is famous for more than one fight, but I only know about his infamous eye poke fight/tournament that was covered in an old dvd(can't remember the name but I think I have it somewhere). 

I'd like to know as much as anyone cares to tell me about Ken/Frank Shamrock before their UFC days.

Also, this is totally unrelated but someone mentioned Pat Miletech above and here is a very interesting/surprising stat about Pat Miletech

Not Hughes, not GSP, but Pat Miletech is the longest reigning welter weight champ in UFC's history.

(Actually I'm going to go check right now to see if that still holds true b/c when I found that stat out GSP has won a fight or 2 since)

1/1/14 6:56 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

lol, holy shit it must've been a long time since that stat was true. GSP has far surpassed Pat in that stat.

1/1/14 6:57 PM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here since 2000
1/1/14 6:58 PM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although for whatever reason when they switched the site over I got stuck w a 1/1/01 join date. Hell I remember a ton of us raised hell over it but whatever.
1/1/14 7:01 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

Hunter V - Although for whatever reason when they switched the site over I got stuck w a 1/1/01 join date. Hell I remember a ton of us raised hell over it but whatever.

I'm pretty sure it had to do with the year change.

I recall mmafighting.net having to re-register everyone's usernames the same time this site apparently did.

I quit posting there a few years ago, tried going back but sadly, that place has turned to absolute shit. I tried to sprucen/liven the place up, but my contributions were not appreciated. There's still some pre-2001 members that are there and they are cool, but the majority of members there are negative and complain all the time.

1/1/14 7:16 PM
Jody

Here since 1997, submissionfighting.com

My 3 digit password was "582". Still trying to figure out how to get a join date that reflects my actual join date.
1/1/14 7:21 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

slyder - Been here since the late 90's when it was submissionfighting.com. Still come here every day. Make no mistake about it, I am the "King of the Lurkers" LOL

P.S.

Back to the shadows till 2015.
Holy shit!! VU!! Phone Post 3.0
1/1/14 7:30 PM
CauliEars

Since ever since!
1/1/14 7:31 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

Also for lots of you 01ers and pre 01ers who don't post much, as a personal request of me, please post more.

I know years of watching mma has HAD to given you context and an opinion. Don't hide it from people who could benefit from it.

1/1/14 7:45 PM
truthisalive
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since 99-2000....started training bjj in 1998.

this site has made me laugh and cry...has made me furious and has educated me. This site is the G.O.A.T of mma sites. We witness the mystique of Royce Gracie and his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. We found learned practioners of BJJ and we trained religiously. VWe kept UFC in business in our hearts during the ages when only a select few of us watched mma and trained. We listened to pal talk for PrideFC and skipped out on parties and dates to stay up all night saturdays to early morning sundays. We ordered gracies in action and showed people the effectiveness of bjj. We aways knew Rickson by armbar. The orange site...the blue site....and now this. We ran off Vovchanchyn. We hated Tito, and convinced him to come back. Every few weeks a Rickson vs Saku thread. Mino was never going to loose. We saw Fedor come out of nowhere and what a run that was. We passed around Rickson seminar tapes with him sparring and watched them daily. We bought Gis based on reccomendations here. The daily scripture threads that spawned war between atheist and religious zealots and faithful folloeers birthing the Holyground. We challenged each other to sparring matched...we where young then and mma was a mystery of ancient knowledge. There is no such thing as santa, the easter bunny or the letter R.

Rickson by armbar....then it was Fedor by armbar...now I guess its Honda by armbar.
1/1/14 7:48 PM
Hunter V

SevenLeggedSpider - 
Hunter V - Although for whatever reason when they switched the site over I got stuck w a 1/1/01 join date. Hell I remember a ton of us raised hell over it but whatever.

I'm pretty sure it had to do with the year change.

I recall mmafighting.net having to re-register everyone's usernames the same time this site apparently did.

I quit posting there a few years ago, tried going back but sadly, that place has turned to absolute shit. I tried to sprucen/liven the place up, but my contributions were not appreciated. There's still some pre-2001 members that are there and they are cool, but the majority of members there are negative and complain all the time.

and see that is the thing, I see random people w '00 join dates and even a FEW '99 join dates so that is why even now I am like how in the hell did they get their dates back to the original point!?!?!

As for lurking, eh I stay on the sub forums moreso these days as there are so many tapout/affliction wearing idiots who never train who flood the board (or at best are bjj white belts who will quit training in 3 months and then relive their glory months of training from that point on while giving their 2 cents, lol). I still post on the main forum but just selective at this point.
1/1/14 7:51 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy
1297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.UncleCreepyMMA.com, UGCTT President
QTyp - Used to come here a while just to see the submission of the week. Then I discovered what a message board was.

^^ did anybody notice his 00 account?
1/1/14 7:56 PM
NickNelsen

Mainly lurk.
1/1/14 7:58 PM
JOESONDO
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another one since submissionfighting.com Phone Post 3.0
1/1/14 8:01 PM
Master Shredder
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a life all of you!

What pathetic loser comes to the same website everyday for 14+ years?

Wait...damnit!
1/1/14 8:06 PM
Hunter V

SevenLeggedSpider - 

I'd like to ask you old timers about the context of mma back before UFC 1.

What was bigger, rings or pancrase?

Was there a rivalry between the two like UFC/Pride?

Who were some of the stars that may not have got the recognition they deserve?

Especially who are fighters who were good back then but didn't get much recognition b/c their careers or primes of their careers were over before UFC/Pride started taking off?

Seems like Yukai Nukai(sp) is famous for more than one fight, but I only know about his infamous eye poke fight/tournament that was covered in an old dvd(can't remember the name but I think I have it somewhere). 

I'd like to know as much as anyone cares to tell me about Ken/Frank Shamrock before their UFC days.

Also, this is totally unrelated but someone mentioned Pat Miletech above and here is a very interesting/surprising stat about Pat Miletech

Not Hughes, not GSP, but Pat Miletech is the longest reigning welter weight champ in UFC's history.

(Actually I'm going to go check right now to see if that still holds true b/c when I found that stat out GSP has won a fight or 2 since)

Pancrase was bigger IIRC. Remember that Rings had just as many works if not moreso, but their KOK tourneys however helped establish legit guys and pretty much is where Pride raided what became their future stars (Arona, Fedor, Mino, Hendo, etc.).

Pretty sure there was a rivalry but it was friendly as I don't remember a lot of top Pancrase guys fighting in rings and vice versa.

Stars who don't get recognition: Takase, Tamura (back before he got lazy), Sakurai (pre-back injury the man was the first complete fighter one could think of), Petey Williams (his KO of Coleman back in the day was a BIG deal), Dave Menne (solid guy and first current lineal MW champion who lost the belt, had one more fight, and was never heard of again. Nevermind the fact the man had a LONG streak of success in fighting), Jerry Bolander (could strike and had a good submission game as a non-brazilian, rare as fuck back in the day), Guy Mezger (tough as shit guy, willing to throw down w ANYBODY and prob gave Vanderlei one of the best standup exchanges of his career), Semmy Schilt (always more focused on the K1 GP but was a monster and could have went farther if he had concentrated more on Mma, although he was a KOP so he had some success), Tom Erikson (if people thought Brock was a athletic SHW who competed as a HW, they should know of this man. If you take him at his prime and put him in the game today the man would be top 3 and it would not even be a question). These are just a few I am thinking about that don't get credit. Of course the new Affliction/Tapout douches as well do not know of the legendary greatness of Saku so I will forever say FU to them.

Yuki Nakai is famous for continuing to fight even w that injury and also famous for really being one of the godfathers of bjj in japan along w Enson Inoue. A LOT of academies in Japan can trace their roots to him or Enson for the most part. I think he is a 5th degree bb at this point as he went and got his bb from Carlso Gracie Jr. after losing to Rickson, he really took to bjj as a passion.

And I am pretty sure both Hughes and GSP passed Pat on the longest reigning list. Remember, Pat was the inaugural LW champion (which was anything 175 and under, Frank Shammy being the first MW champion when it was 205 and under that eventually became the LHW title). He was not the official WW champ till he had defended it against Carlos Newton and lost it IIRC (that was around UFC 31 or UFC 32, can't remember). So starting w that fight do we have the modern era of the WW title so Hughes would have had a longer reign and now GSP.
1/1/14 8:10 PM
zackthewop
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of you guys are impressive. My last account was from 2003 and I was 16 but was lurking in 2002. Phone Post 3.0
1/1/14 8:11 PM
reagan123
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here Phone Post 3.0
1/1/14 8:20 PM
2mmafreaks

Since before Al Gore was born Phone Post 3.0
1/1/14 8:25 PM
WeidmanCheckedMyAss
785 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_UncleCreepy - 
QTyp - Used to come here a while just to see the submission of the week. Then I discovered what a message board was.

^^ did anybody notice his 00 account?

There are about 10 forum members with that sign up date.

I have yet to see a 99`er join up date after the switch from submissionfighting.com.

1/1/14 8:36 PM
Hunter V

there are a few 99'ers. Again how they kept their dates but we lost ours to becoming 01 I have no clue.
1/1/14 8:38 PM
Son of Neckbone
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the only forum I have ever been a member of, and I'm at 12 or 13 years. I had a previous screen name "Neckbone" that I forgot the PW to at some point. Can one of the mods hook me up? I'd love to see how long I really have been coming to this place almost daily.

Titties for everybody and happy new year ya old fucks.
1/1/14 8:44 PM
Tommy Gunnz
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holla

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.