UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC calls Fight Pass 'Keys to the candy store'

1/3/14 12:40 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1070 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The new digital network UFC Fight Pass, is aptly described by UFC CEO and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta as “Netflix for the fight fan." For  information on the two-month free trial, visit ufc.tv/page/fightpass.

Saturday will be the debut of the network's first live-event broadcast, as UFC Fight Night: Saffiedine vs. Lim, streams live on the new platform from Singapore's Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre. UFN 34 is the first of an expected 10 live events that will stream exclusively on UFC Fight Pass in 2014. Due to local television blackout rules and existing broadcast deals, the network is currently available in the United States, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

MMAJunkie's John Morgan interviewed Fertitta and Marshall Zelaznik, the UFC's chief content officer, about response to date.

"UFC Fight Pass is a must-have for any MMA fan," said Zelaznik. "We are giving fans access to the biggest MMA fight library in the world, plus delivering a minimum of 10 live and exclusive events fans won't see anywhere else, as well as access to live Fight Pass prelims before pay-per-view and televised fight cards."

"We've always been ahead of the game with new technology and finding new ways to reach our fans with our content, but we've clearly launched UFC Fight Pass at the right time. With the popularity of digital platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, everyone gets what this is: access to a huge library of on-demand content, plus live fights."

"If you are an MMA fan, we are giving you the keys to the candy store. This is what you've always wanted – the keys to the biggest fight library on Earth, plus at least 10 live events each year. This is a must-have for MMA fans."

Saturday's event is headlined by welterweights Tarec Saffiedine and Hyun Gyu Lim.

"At the end of the day, what we've tried to do is make sure that they're headlined by two individuals that are ranked in the top 10 so that there's true meaning behind the outcome of the event," said Fertitta. "Does that happen every single time we have a Fight Night on Fox or historically when we did them on Fuel TV? No. But it's a guideline. It's what we tried to do, and that's going to be no different than what we're doing here on the Fight Pass network."

Read entire article...

1/3/14 1:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sir Psycho Sexy
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too bad their 'fight library' is missing a whole heap of good fights. Was extremely disappointed with the fight library. Not much of a library at all. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 1:08 AM
FETT_WTT_TFK_UGCTT_pennviachoke
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a big UFC fan, that being said they can kindly fuck off with this fight pass shit. I'll still buy the PPVs & go to live events but I have zero interest in the fight pass.

My 2¢ Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 1:14 AM
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"said Zelaznik. 'We are giving fans access to the biggest MMA fight library in the world'"

Marshall and Lorenzo, guys, we're not idiots. The only people considering buying this are hardcore fans.

We realize when you parse words like 'giving access to the biggest library' that's not the same thing as giving 'full access' to the library. Hell, if you only had 3 fights up there you could say you're 'giving access' to the library.

Who do you think you're bullshitting really, some TUF n00bs, good luck with that.

(cough) Dark Ages
1/3/14 1:18 AM
MagSlim

Or maybe a better analogy would be that you're giving us the keys to the candy store but most of the candy is still locked in the cabinets. We can get some of it, but what's left out probably isn't our favorite candy. We can see the other stuff through the glass, we know it's there, but our keys don't open those cabinets.

So we're left sitting there knowing we paid for a set of keys that just lets us get free candy corn, when we really want some 'Dark' chocolate.
1/3/14 1:21 AM
elgringo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which big fights or events are they missing? Just out of curiosity.

I bet they are missing every single Frank Shamrock fight lol
1/3/14 1:33 AM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No single sakuraba fights up yet. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 1:35 AM
XxBullseyexX

Does it work to watch from phones? No app I'm assuming since I looked and found nothing Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 1:36 AM
Tommy Gunnz
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are all the prelims that are normally on FS1 not free anymore and you can only see prelims for all the events with fight pass?? Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 1:37 AM
ShoreBreakersPeePeeTasteGoooood
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MagSlim - Or maybe a better analogy would be that you're giving us the keys to the candy store but most of the candy is still locked in the cabinets. We can get some of it, but what's left out probably isn't our favorite candy. We can see the other stuff through the glass, we know it's there, but our keys don't open those cabinets.

So we're left sitting there knowing we paid for a set of keys that just lets us get free candy corn, when we really want some 'Dark' chocolate.

i'm sure you want Anderson's BBC dark chocolate huh

1/3/14 1:39 AM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

One of the worst ideas they've come up with in awhile.

So long to casual fans who want free fights. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 1:43 AM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tommy Gunnz - are all the prelims that are normally on FS1 not free anymore and you can only see prelims for all the events with fight pass?? Phone Post 3.0
Fs1 prelims are still there...the ones that were on fb are now on fp Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 2:16 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Sir Psycho Sexy - Too bad their 'fight library' is missing a whole heap of good fights. Was extremely disappointed with the fight library. Not much of a library at all. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, I thought it would have all the fights, not 10% of them. They're even talking like all the fights are on there. Phone Post
1/3/14 2:32 AM
brahmabull81
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty bummed about this whole deal. I honestly cant afford all of their PPVs anymore and will not be spending more money per month for this, as little as it is. Id love to watch all the international and "weak" cards that were once on FS2, but now for some reason will be being put on fight pass and being billed as "awesome for the fans." Free = awesome. Paying for what was once free = NOT awesome.

The only sport where you have to pay an arm and a leg to be a fan. I feel like the hardcore fans are the UFC's sugar daddies. No more from me.

Guess Ill just have to watch more team sports when all this starts really kicking in if streams start disappearing, because at least I can just watch other sports and give them the ratings they desire, and thats all it costs me. :/
1/3/14 2:38 AM
forever white belt

JimmersonzGlove - No single sakuraba fights up yet. Phone Post 3.0
There are loads in the best of pride episodes... Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 2:58 AM
MPC916
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free till Feb 28 is great. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 3:28 AM
JerodR
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's just getting to be too much honestly. I will order the big PPVs and keep up with the cable stuff but that is about it. Too much of a squeeze on the fans in my opinion. On top of that fight pass doesn't really have much anyway.

It is only 10 bucks but the point is that it offers very little. This is on top of the extensive PPV schedule as well. Plus it is not even an app for the tv, Xbox, or PS. Waste of money.

We don't want the keys to the busted ass candy store downtown that doesn't keep it's shelves stocked and has a creepy toothless guy working the register. We want the golden ticket to Wonka that offers everything we wanted and things we never knew we wanted. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 3:39 AM
Mr_Honky
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's some features I like. I believe that the full library will be up when the pay kicks in. It's free and by the time the monthly fee kicks in I'm hoping it will be finished. It's getting better. I've noticed things added every few days. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 3:58 AM
donkypunch55
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone know if I'll have access to these Fight Nights after the fact? If I miss the 9:00 am show tomorrow can I watch it when I wake up?
If not, I wouldn't consider signing up. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 5:10 AM
slamming

MagSlim - Or maybe a better analogy would be that you're giving us the keys to the candy store but most of the candy is still locked in the cabinets. We can get some of it, but what's left out probably isn't our favorite candy. We can see the other stuff through the glass, we know it's there, but our keys don't open those cabinets.

Except that you haven't paid for anything yet, so your analogy is void. 

1/3/14 5:15 AM
Calavaro
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keys to the candy store.... Just to realize the delivery of candy hasn't been made yet. And you don't know when it'll happen. Phone Post
1/3/14 5:44 AM
NONURINAUMANA
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fight pass thing has been available for years now only it's gone by another name. It's a dirty word on here however because as BLAF says it's fucking illegal. Phone Post
1/3/14 7:42 AM
Bobby Lupo
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paying $10/month for fights I already paid for. GTFO with that.

I'd rather give my $10 to the Culinary Union

1/3/14 7:53 AM
RJB
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donkypunch55 - Does anyone know if I'll have access to these Fight Nights after the fact? If I miss the 9:00 am show tomorrow can I watch it when I wake up?
If not, I wouldn't consider signing up. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, I believe that is half of there selling point, that international cards can now be put on in primetime in the local market and can be watched on demand be in the rest of the world through fight pass.
1/3/14 7:59 AM
Rob San Soo

Haven't seen one good view on this crap lol Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.