UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor versus Anderson: Who is the GOAT?

1/5/14 1:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor was WIDELY considered the GOAT before BLAF started a slander campaign against Fedor, smearing and discrediting all of his amazing, unmatched accomplishments in an attempt to devalue Fedor because of business reasons.

Many post PRIDE era fans bought into this garbage because they take everything BLAF, a great promoter, says as gospel and started parroting the "Fedor hasn't fought anybody since 2006" and "Fedor dodged top competition" trash.

The aura of invincibility Fedor had and the majestic atmosphere surrounding his matches was incredible during Fedor's reign. Watching Anderson Silva during his reign was special, too, but Anderson didn't have the same aura because he had been choked out by Takase and leg locked by Chonan. Fedor was undefeated and he seemed invincible. He was the terminator, a emotionless cyborg killer who never made fatal mistakes and always won.

Fedor losing three straight at the very end of his career, where his body was worn down with injuries, his heart wasn't fully in it, he was training soft/falling into bad habits, combined with crazy things like religious fasting damaging his athleticism, takes absolutely nothing away from his majestic run as the undefeated, unquestioned greatest fighter in the sport.

Silva is great, but Fedor is the greatest. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 1:47 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja -
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Fedor beats Andy's ass and Georges ass so that makes him GOAT. After a few years we can talk Cain overtaking him but not two little dudes. My lord, come on. Phone Post 3.0

ONe of the rare few like D241 who argue GOAT based on the "absolutes" of who would beat who and ignore divisions. It's an odd opinion to me. Sugar Ray would lost to a TON of HW boxers but he is still the GOAT in many many many opinions.

That's pound for pound for sugar ray not baddest dude on planet and greatest of all time. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 1:51 PM
downthepines
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor
1/5/14 1:56 PM
ThickS0lid N Right
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gsp Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 2:00 PM
Sourire
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack, 

You have the best threads/website commentary of anyone I've seen.  I absolutely love your pre-fight breakdowns and your youtube channel.

This is a topic that has got to be top 5 in terms of popularity amoung MMA fans.  I just really don't think much can be gained by comparing fighters in two different weight classes.

1/5/14 2:02 PM
ProteinOverdrive
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor never lost in his prime. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 2:25 PM
RKing85
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just as long as Anderson, Fedor, GSP are your top 3 in some order, your GOAT list is okay by me.
1/5/14 2:26 PM
FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja

ProteinOverdrive - Fedor never lost in his prime. Phone Post 3.0
I guess "prime" can be defined differently by different people. Physical prime? Skillset prime?

Fedor was younger when he lost his three in a row compared to Andy losing to Chris. His early losses could be defined as before his skills had fully developed as he was a striker making the move to mma. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 2:26 PM
FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja

RKing85 - Just as long as Anderson, Fedor, GSP are your top 3 in some order, your GOAT list is okay by me.
Yep Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 2:28 PM
ThinkMMA
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor is the greatest mixed martial artist to ever step up.

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Anderson Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 2:31 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

"He fought Giants, Olympic Medalists, and Numerous Champions."

The first two of those have little or nothing to do with success in MMA. The last is only relevant if the champions were at or near their peak, and even then may be irrelevant if they didn't beat great fighters to become champion in the first place.
1/5/14 2:37 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

"The aura of invincibility Fedor had and the majestic atmosphere surrounding his matches was incredible during Fedor's reign. "

So he is the greatest fighter because people mistakenly thought he was invincible?

"where his body was worn down with injuries"

Like what? A broken toe or finger once or twice in his career? Anderson had double knee surgeries before his greatest run and more surgeries after that.
1/5/14 2:44 PM
iwatchsomemma

Fedor is the GOAT.

More complete while banging fists with bigger fighters.

Blame Father Time for making this a discussion at all.
1/5/14 2:58 PM
StrikingMMA
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RondaHonda'dmymangina3744 - 
ThinkMMA - Fedor is the greatest mixed martial artist to ever step up.

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Anderson Phone Post 3.0
QFT Phone Post 3.0

I would change your #2 and #3 but leave Fedor at #1.

He is a legend.
1/5/14 3:02 PM
FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - 
FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja -
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Fedor beats Andy's ass and Georges ass so that makes him GOAT. After a few years we can talk Cain overtaking him but not two little dudes. My lord, come on. Phone Post 3.0

ONe of the rare few like D241 who argue GOAT based on the "absolutes" of who would beat who and ignore divisions. It's an odd opinion to me. Sugar Ray would lost to a TON of HW boxers but he is still the GOAT in many many many opinions.

That's pound for pound for sugar ray not baddest dude on planet and greatest of all time. Phone Post 3.0

Um, you seriously don't think that there are a large % of fans who consider Sugar Ray the GOAT in boxing?...

1/5/14 5:04 PM
azarali

ttt
1/5/14 5:17 PM
daba

#1 Fedor
#2 Anderson
1/5/14 5:54 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Fedor ever specified his exact injuries but he told Helwani a few years back that he almost retired after the Rogers fight because injuries were piling up on his body. That sounds like those injuries were significant if he's contemplating retiring.

BTW, I know that you know that Fedor dealt with some pretty bad hand injuries during his career multiple times that put him on the shelf. The "broken finger" and "broken toe" reference you make while excluding his reoccurring broken hand is using deliberately misleading and dishonest tactics to attempt to win an argument. I don't know why you feel the need to do that. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 6:25 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I had to choose, I'd go with Fedor but respect anyone who goes the other way.

1/5/14 6:36 PM
sa80teur
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"What the ancients called a clever fighter was not one who wins, but excels in winning with ease. Hence his victories bring him neither reputation for wisdom, nor credit for courage"
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War.

Anderson. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 6:44 PM
Captfireeyes
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sa80teur - "What the ancients called a clever fighter was not one who wins, but excels in winning with ease. Hence his victories bring him neither reputation for wisdom, nor credit for courage"

Anderson. Phone Post 3.0
If winning with ease is how you judge the GOAT, wouldn't you have to pick Fedor, as he arguably never lost a round during his 10 undefeated streak? Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 7:34 PM
TheMasher81

Fedor would mutilate silva at any weight Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 7:44 PM
VinegarStrokes
330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gobulcoque - 
Anthomis - 
MySonTommyGunn - Fedor for me. I always think if you were to build a fighter to beat them what would you build? For Anderson you would build a good wrestler with decent BJJ but for Fedor what could you build? In his prime was the hardest man in the sport. So Fedor is the GOAT for me, just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
Bigfoot Silva or anyone like him Phone Post 3.0

So a giant goon that outweighs him by nearly 100 pounds? He didn't even really win that fight, it was 1 round a piece and a shit doctor stoppage.

Did you watch that fight or were Fedors nuts blocking your view?

1/5/14 7:46 PM
VinegarStrokes
330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Captfireeyes - 
sa80teur - "What the ancients called a clever fighter was not one who wins, but excels in winning with ease. Hence his victories bring him neither reputation for wisdom, nor credit for courage"

Anderson. Phone Post 3.0
If winning with ease is how you judge the GOAT, wouldn't you have to pick Fedor, as he arguably never lost a round during his 10 undefeated streak? Phone Post 3.0

If winning with ease is the way you judge it. The the ONLY answer is GSP. No unavenged losses. A much harder list of competition overall than either Anderson or Fedor. 

1/5/14 7:53 PM
mkutta4

Spider. No doubt Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.