UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman proves what Ive been saying for years

1/5/14 7:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kid Charlemagne
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LayNPray absolutely dismantling this hater thread

Bravo Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 7:51 PM
Fade7
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even if Weidman is dominant for a long time he'll probably eventually lose to a good striker and people will proclaim the same thing - "I knew Weidman was always vulnerable to a better striker."
1/5/14 8:21 PM
daba
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - "But if you had put three or 4 division 1 national champions in his division we would never be talking about him as the GOAT."

This is what bothers me when people talk about who is the GOAT, or this guy would beat that guy. You are making the mistake of stating an opinion as fact.

We will never know how Anderson would've done against elite wrestlers unfortunately, but claiming he would've lost to these hypothetical fighters is nonsense. What we do know is Silva dominated his division unchallenged for longer than anyone has, at any weight.
. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 8:54 PM
DakenTattoo

So if I start bashing Weidman now about his weakness to guys who hit and run and he eventually loses years from now to a Machidaesque fighter does that make me a fucking prophet?

OP is retarded.

Also amazing how you remove Anderson and now MW is fresh and exciting. Sure. That's what happens when the Champ is so dominant.

ANDY=GOAT
1/5/14 8:56 PM
Oontyex

FETT_GayFerPayNINJA -

Yes totally. Henderson Sonnen Okami and Marquart are terrible grapplers...

What an idiotic thread. 

This Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 9:02 PM
mijo

I like how someone makes a Thread, and tries to prove his point with a big "if".
1/5/14 9:24 PM
ISawSilva'sBONEr

Stupid fucken post. Silva smashed 2 of the best wrestlers in mma. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 9:28 PM
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's 38 Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 9:41 PM
Joemacka
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cwcoogan - If he lost either fight with Weidman because Chris laid on him then you might have some point, though neither fight ended that way so your argument is invalid.
This Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 9:57 PM
GTFOOHWTBS
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

01ner's gonna 01's?

What a lame post.
1/5/14 10:48 PM
Stephen Holder

cwcoogan - If he lost either fight with Weidman because Chris laid on him then you might have some point, though neither fight ended that way so your argument is invalid.

1/5/14 10:49 PM
FreightTrain

I'd like to invite you to re-watch Silva/Henderson.
1/5/14 11:26 PM
Live in Vegas
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This always happens when a great fighter comes into the back end of his career. To quote the OP, I've been saying this for years. Every career has an arc and people are prone to look at the down slope and say "see, I told you so and so wasn't really that great". Like another poster in here said, it's opinion stated as fact.

Roy Jones Jr, Mike Tyson in boxing. Sak, Fedor, Vanderlei, (don't hate) Ken Shamrock (and now) Anderson. In combat sports you only have to slow down just "that" much, lose "that much" of your reflexes to fall back into the herd. Anyone I mentioned above, in their prime was a beast and arguably the best in the world. I'm not sure what it is about the human condition that is satisfying to people to dismiss what came before as over hyped but I suspect it'll always be that way. At the end of the day, in a world filled with billions of people, to be ranked in the top 100 is an impressive enough feat, to be seen as potentially the greatest is even more so.

And that folks, is my opinion, also stated as fact.
1/6/14 12:53 PM
MasterofMartialArts
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VitorforPresident -
MasterofMartialArts -
kevsh - "But if you had put three or 4 division 1 national champions in his division we would never be talking about him as the GOAT."

This is what bothers me when people talk about who is the GOAT, or this guy would beat that guy. You are making the mistake of stating an opinion as fact.

We will never know how Anderson would've done against elite wrestlers unfortunately, but claiming he would've lost to these hypothetical fighters is nonsense. What we do know is Silva dominated his division unchallenged for longer than anyone has, at any weight.
Great point.

You can't take away from a fighters accomplishments by using hypotheticals. Phone Post 3.0
Cause Olympian caliber wrestlers like Hendo and Sonnen aren't elite.....

VTFD Phone Post 3.0
I'm confused. Why am I being voted down?? Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 1:58 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

2008 Manhoef vs 2008 Anderson would've been hella fun to watch

Evan Tanner vs Anderson also would be a toss up(RIP)

1/6/14 3:23 PM
jmont

crazydave -

Henderson

Sonnen

Okami

Marquart

. Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 3:24 PM
jmont

SevenLeggedSpider -

2008 Manhoef vs 2008 Anderson would've been hella fun to watch

Evan Tanner vs Anderson also would be a toss up(RIP)

silva wouldve starched both dont even start Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 3:30 PM
DrPeterVenkman
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 4:00 PM
FullyLoadedFists

Anytime Silva had a sketchy performance it was against a wrestler. Had he never moved up from 170 to 185, and faced the gauntlet of high-level wrestlers at WW while having less of a speed advantage, he would have run into a lot of problems. Especially before the later period in his career where he made improvement on his tdd. Andy might've still managed to get to the top eventually, although its hard to deny that his run would have most likely looked far less impressive. Phone Post
1/6/14 4:29 PM
StocktonStickerSlap

garfner - Chris basically proves what Ive been saying about anderson for years. I've never considered Anderson a pfp guy because of the division that he is in. If 185 was stocked full of elite wrestlers like Matt Hughes, John Fitch, Josh Kos, Hendriks and GSP I really dont think he would have ever made it to the title match. One of those guys would have layed and preyed him for 3 rounds. Imagine if his first or second fight would have been against a 6' 2" 210 John Fitch who cut to 185. He would have been grinded on for 3 rounds. Chris is basically a big version of these guys. The only other guys in 185 that fit this bill is accident prone older Sonnen and wild swinging old Henderson who fights like a brawler not a wrestler.
Instead 185 was full of brawlers. even when they moved him up to 205 they put him against brawlers(Irvin, Griffin, Bonnar). This guy is a brawlers worst nightmare. He decisioned in lack luster fights against good bjj guys like Maia and Leites who would not brawl and swing wildly with him.
I dont care what division you put Jones or GSP in. or Cain. Their styles and skillset would have made them champions at any wieght no matter who was in the division. I dont think you can say the same for Anderson. ANDERSON IS MMAS BEST STRIKER OF ALL TIME. But if you had put three or 4 division 1 national champions in his division we would never be talking about him as the GOAT.
BTW my two favorite fighters are Brazilian. Vitor and Murilo Bustamante just in case you think I have red white and blue colored glasses on. My other 3 all time favorites would be Carlos Newton, Evan Tanner and Sak. And I dont even like Jones or Cain but I do recognize their talent as pfp guys. Anderson is an amazing fighter and I would agree that he is MMAs striking GOAT but not the all around GOAT.
Right because beating guys like sonnen 2x, hendo, lutter, Maia and leites clearly shows how incomplete his game was.... Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 5:09 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

" Imagine if his first or second fight would have been against a 6' 2" 210 John Fitch who cut to 185. He would have been grinded on for 3 rounds. Chris is basically a big version of these guys."

Has Jon Fitch outstruck everyone he's ever fought and KTFO of champion wrestlers?
1/6/14 5:13 PM
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA

FullyLoadedFists - Anytime Silva had a sketchy performance it was against a wrestler. Had he never moved up from 170 to 185, and faced the gauntlet of high-level wrestlers at WW while having less of a speed advantage, he would have run into a lot of problems. Especially before the later period in his career where he made improvement on his tdd. Andy might've still managed to get to the top eventually, although its hard to deny that his run would have most likely looked far less impressive. Phone Post
Theories like this REALLY make me mad that management put a stop to Anderson vs Hughes back in the day.

After seeig what Pele did to hughes I would have loved to watch Anderson decapitate him... Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 5:23 PM
Willo232

Paper View Keybored Warrior - I couldn't even be bothered reading more than 10 words before it all started to look like 'bla, bla, bla...'

If anyone can surmise for me, did this person actually make any valid point? I really couldn't be bothered reading it.
Looks like a load of nonsense that I couldn't give 2 shits about.
Your SN definitely suits you. Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 5:47 PM
random_muppett
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TL:DR

Lol Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 6:13 PM
eljamaiquino

garfner -
The Brotorious B.I.G - Cool story bro...

You just pointed out a know fact, a strikers weakness is wrestlers...great googly moogly i never thought this before. This is a totally new idea and concept and you get my vu for today for being a trail blazer Phone Post 3.0

Yes and the GSP is a karate guy who had to overcome this and did that's why I consider him one of the pfp contenders
Are you daft? Both Hendo and Chael were olympic alternates. That's a world caliber wrestler. Gsp has never fought a wrestler on that level, EVER!

That's why Cormier is a better wrestler than Cain. Olympic level is way past NCAA level... Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.