UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman proves what Ive been saying for years

1/9/14 9:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jons Forsberg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sobral took Chael down 5 times. Chael took him down 0 times.

Dan would steal decisions for landing the H bomb as in the Murilo Ninja fight, you couldn't steal rounds in PRIDE with takedowns.
1/9/14 9:27 PM
MagSlim

I'm pretty sure all the P4P threads are made or encouraged by Zuffa trolls.

There is no right answer. The arguing will never end. You just end up talking about their stars more.

Anderson out-grappled Chael. Fact. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 9:29 PM
John M
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

1/9/14 9:29 PM
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA

Jons Forsberg - "? MW had a better wrestler than all the guys you mentioned. They had Dan Henderson."

I can't think of a wrestler who's been outwrestled more than Dan Henderson in MMA. And when he did wrestle in RD1 against Silva he won the round convincingly.
He tried again to wrestle Silva and round 2 and failed miserably. So miserably he actually pulled guard. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 10:55 PM
RUSRedDevil
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As someone who wrestled their entire life including college and international wrestling I respectfully disagree.

In my opinion Anderson Silva was dangerous much like how Maurice Smith was dangerous for Mark Coleman. He was a striker who could survive /tire his opponent on the ground Inside a pace that If a wrestler tired or slowed down he would knock them out on his feet. It was impossible to be Anderson Silva in a decision Because if you gave Anderson Silva 25 minutes to catch you on your feet he would knock you out eventually Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 10:57 PM
Allen Hood

Guess what

I didn't read Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 4:02 AM
Lick Boners

nobones - 
Jons Forsberg - Sobral took Chael down 5 times. Chael took him down 0 times.

Dan would steal decisions for landing the H bomb as in the Murilo Ninja fight, you couldn't steal rounds in PRIDE with takedowns.

Yep you are right, Chael is a horrible MMA wrestler. Anderson fighting him was a joke. Hughes was so much better. Anderson might as well could have been wrestling Rowdy Roddy Piper when he fought Chael. 

So stupid. Chael is probably the most effective wrestler at middleweight or even welterweight. Dude is a takedown machine at middleweight.

You are very right, and like the OP said, if Andy had faced Sonnen earlier in his career he would've easily lost a 3 round decision. Kinda the point of the thread ;)
1/10/14 4:10 AM
sekundarburnes

kevsh - "But if you had put three or 4 division 1 national champions in his division we would never be talking about him as the GOAT."

This is what bothers me when people talk about who is the GOAT, or this guy would beat that guy. You are making the mistake of stating an opinion as fact.

We will never know how Anderson would've done against elite wrestlers unfortunately, but claiming he would've lost to these hypothetical fighters is nonsense. What we do know is Silva dominated his division unchallenged for longer than anyone has, at any weight.

"We will never know how Anderson would've done against elite wrestlers unfortunately"

what? we know exactly how he fares against elite mma wrestlers. he was mauled for 23 minutes by chael sonnen before pulling off the greatest comeback the sport has ever seen. he lost the first round of their rematch 10-8 in my opinion. of course he tko'd sonnen in the round after that. and then he got beaten by weidman twice. the story of a fighter's ability does not end with the outcomes of his matches, it matters what happens before he wins or loses. as great as he is, the reality of silva's career and ability is that he does poorly against really good wrestlers.
1/10/14 4:10 AM
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME

Madrugadao - What I love about these threads is people suggesting GSP was fighting in such a tough division.

Who are the great fighters he beat?

Anderson has beaten some guys that will be remembered for a long time. The only fighters GSP beat in this bracket are a guy that was pretty much retired and a guy from the division below.

I think I am going to agree with this.

Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, Chael Sonnen etc.

Anderson fought some really well respected guys with serious followings who were proven Champion material..

GSP fought tons of great contenders and a blown up Penn, but his biggest wins will always be over a fading Hughes.
1/10/14 5:56 AM
shadysavagecameonmaiaface
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How did Hendo somehow become old and washed up in this timeline?

I had Hendo steamrolling Silva in that fight, at that time. I was wrong, but absolutely that had nothing to do with Hendo's shelf life at that point in time as his accomplishments after that fight showed.

That victory remains very impressive. Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 7:31 AM
JRob7

Fitch, Kos, Gsp, Hughes and Hendricks all fight at 170 so why are you comparing them with Silva, Weidman? Didn't Henderson and Sonnen dam near wrestle in the Olympics and both have better college credentials in wrestling than Weidman? In the Ufc on any given night you can get caught and KO'd so for him to make that run was incredible!!!!! He caught Anderson in the first fight and I give him all the credit for it but a freak accident in the second fight stopped that. Even though he checked the kick I think we were all shocked it broke like that. Either way my hats off to Weidman! I want to say Belfort is a real bad match up for him but Belfort seems to shit the bed in title fights so we'll see.
1/10/14 8:37 AM
eljamaiquino

Lick Boners - Silva fought Belfort, GSP fought Alves, Diaz, Hendricks, Condit :)
Neither alves nor Diaz are ko artists. They tko by accumulation of punishment. Condit and Hendricks throw one hitters and both of them had GSP in trouble. Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 9:51 AM
kungfugrip

5-10 years Jon Jones is going to suck too and was never that good.

Silva's run in the ufc was amazing. Champ fall, doesnt mean they are not still great.
1/10/14 10:01 AM
Lick Boners

eljamaiquino - 
Lick Boners - Silva fought Belfort, GSP fought Alves, Diaz, Hendricks, Condit :)
Neither alves nor Diaz are ko artists. They tko by accumulation of punishment. Condit and Hendricks throw one hitters and both of them had GSP in trouble. Phone Post 3.0

Sure, GSP still outstruck them for most of the time, also he outwrestled guys like Fitch, Hughes, Karo, Koscheck. Advantage, Mr. Gorgeous Georges.
1/10/14 10:08 AM
sambrincat

cwcoogan - If he lost either fight with Weidman because Chris laid on him then you might have some point, though neither fight ended that way so your argument is invalid.
Agree Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 11:04 AM
Effstrikingmeansdamage

kevsh - "But if you had put three or 4 division 1 national champions in his division we would never be talking about him as the GOAT."

This is what bothers me when people talk about who is the GOAT, or this guy would beat that guy. You are making the mistake of stating an opinion as fact.

We will never know how Anderson would've done against elite wrestlers unfortunately, but claiming he would've lost to these hypothetical fighters is nonsense. What we do know is Silva dominated his division unchallenged for longer than anyone has, at any weight.
VU. Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 11:11 AM
idsmashit

You were proved wrong for years. Weidmans a lucky man soon to lose the title to a brit
1/10/14 11:26 AM
Daverr

well, u are right on levels for sure,

i agree andersons would have lost way soone if his division was better

thats 4 sure
1/10/14 11:35 AM
whoabro

eljamaiquino -
garfner -
The Brotorious B.I.G - Cool story bro...

You just pointed out a know fact, a strikers weakness is wrestlers...great googly moogly i never thought this before. This is a totally new idea and concept and you get my vu for today for being a trail blazer Phone Post 3.0

Yes and the GSP is a karate guy who had to overcome this and did that's why I consider him one of the pfp contenders
Are you daft? Both Hendo and Chael were olympic alternates. That's a world caliber wrestler. Gsp has never fought a wrestler on that level, EVER!

That's why Cormier is a better wrestler than Cain. Olympic level is way past NCAA level... Phone Post 3.0
Hendo wasnt just an alternate, he medaled (bronze in 92) Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 11:42 AM
Josh_underground
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfugrip - 5-10 years Jon Jones is going to suck too and was never that good.

Silva's run in the ufc was amazing. Champ fall, doesnt mean they are not still great.
VU Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 11:56 AM
mixjitsu

kevsh - "But if you had put three or 4 division 1 national champions in his division we would never be talking about him as the GOAT."

The argument of chael and Henderson are dumb yes they was great wrestlers but always had problems getting caught in submissions and was in they're upper 30s hughes was great with submissions and fitch and koscheck were younger and had great bjj defense being with camarilla(idk if that's how you spell in) and also fought shields who was a younger version of hughes he fought...gsps list of strikers is nice as well with alves condit hardy and diaz not to mention penn Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 11:57 AM
mixjitsu

Idk why that was a reply I was just trying to make a post Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 12:30 PM
eljamaiquino

Daverr -
well, u are right on levels for sure,

i agree andersons would have lost way soone if his division was better

thats 4 sure
Everybody loses, and everybody loses faster if their competition is better. OP waits years for a guy to lose to say "I told you so"! Pretty lame imo.... Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 2:50 PM
andyman011

Hendo marquardt okami chael lutter .

Yep none of these guys have good wrestling Phone Post
1/10/14 4:48 PM
mixjitsu

andyman011 - Hendo marquardt okami chael lutter .

Yep none of these guys have good wrestling Phone Post
Marquardt and lutter were good wrestlers? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.