UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Best guard in all of MMA Allan Goes

1/8/14 10:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nick Mercenary
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching some of Allan's old fights and watching him roll with adcc heavyweights the other week master goes has amazing jiujitsu still at the age of 40

http://youtu.be/Zc_CH7hfybc Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 10:39 AM
fathalpert
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He did have amazing bjj and showed its effectiveness against the great Sakuraba.

In your opinion, how did he stack up against the Gracies fighting during that time?
1/8/14 10:43 AM
BJ Penn Forever
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goes showed what he had when he fought Henderson, F. Shamrock and Sakuraba.

I think he may be the most underrated fighter in the history of the sport.
1/8/14 11:40 AM
Nick Mercenary

I think goes was a better than the Gracie's. Sakuraba beat 4 Gracie's and Sakurba could not handle Allan's elite level if jiujitsu mixed with his size and strength. Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 11:40 AM
Nick Mercenary

And Sakuraba broke 2 or 3 of he Gracie's arms with the Kimura Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 11:42 AM
Nick Mercenary

People forget Allan's 5 fight stint in the IFL where he went 4-1 at the end if his career and retired after calling out Daniel gracie and TKO'd him Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 11:50 AM
Bofbro
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These kind of threads make me want to dust the Pride collection off, fuck it...I'm off. :)
1/8/14 12:16 PM
Happiness Bunny
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You train at Goes' gym?
1/8/14 12:20 PM
fathalpert
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allan was legit for sure. I seem to remember him and Tank Abbot were supposed to fight but it never materialized. That would have been interesting.
1/8/14 12:26 PM
Truemanc3
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have trained with Allan on a few occasions.

If I lived in Cali I'd train with him... He was great with me.

The main thing I learnt in his classes was cardio was very important.... also apart from his guard when he got on top he had an amazing side control I never felt anything like it to this day... he really made you suffer lol!
1/8/14 12:36 PM
kungfugrip
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

met him at the ufc he fought at. Always smiling and almost walked up to fans to talk!

Seemed like a great guy!
1/8/14 12:47 PM
None So Blind
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonder how many have seen the old school vid of Allan doing a challenge match in Pedro Carvalho's gym against some random dude (big gut, said he was a "street boxer"), happened around the time of the first couple UFCs.

Of course, Goes beat the shit out of him, and brutally so - got the guys back within a minute and dropped a few dozen elbows on the back of his head and neck until the guy tapped.

I had only half the vid - supposedly a more complete version had Goes hearing the guy's friend talking some shit afterwards, and Goes was furious and chased the dude out of the gym into the parking lot and barely missed beating that dude's ass too.

Looked for it on Youtube, couldn't find it, but maybe others might have more success...
1/8/14 12:54 PM
GodSaveTheReem
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/8/14 12:58 PM
Tru
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happiness Bunny - You train at Goes' gym?

pretty sure nick is a black belt under Goes.

what's up nick!!!

1/8/14 1:02 PM
StevetheWeasel
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goes is awesome.

I always enjoyed watching him fight.

I still shudder thinking about that Coleman fight, though.
1/8/14 1:13 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

BJ Penn Forever - Goes showed what he had when he fought Henderson, F. Shamrock and Sakuraba.

I think he may be the most underrated fighter in the history of the sport.

He was a stud for sure. The thing is, he lost those fights, but little did he or we the mma community know back then just how bad ass Henderson/Frank/Sakuraba would be.  

He fought all of them like a warrior, was in the fight the whole time iirc. I specifically remember his fight with Dan, and it was super close.

Matter of fact, thinking back to Allan/Henderson, that fight was super weird. Goes rocked Dan on the feet, and Dan showed some good grappling and I think even went for a submission. It was like the twilight zone lol.

1/8/14 1:41 PM
Samoa
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading an interview of his about his fight with Frank Shamrock. Essentially said the organization made him wear the boots so it was easier for leg submissions to happen. He said basically that Frank ripped up his ankle pretty good and he had to "putted the ankle back" and keep fighting.

The guy was down to throw with Tank back in the day in a STREETFIGHT.......Alan was a bad dude. Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 1:42 PM
Samoa
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Henderson's back to back wars in the same night against Newton and Goes was godlike. I didn't like the decisions.....but the fights were epic. Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 1:46 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

His fight with Saku was his best imo. I don't care that he lost. Phone Post
1/8/14 1:56 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did he ever sub anyone from guard in MMA?

Also, when Sak fought him, it was prior to any of the Gracie bouts and I believe an important bout for Sak in his evolution on how to beat BJJ and the guard. His next bout vs Vitor is when he started kicking at the legs of the guard.

For best guards in MMA, I'd have to go with Aoki and Nog.
1/8/14 3:26 PM
hackett
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/08/14 3:27 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - His fight with Saku was his best imo. I don't care that he lost. Phone Post

That fight was a draw, so was the Frank Shamrock bout. The post describing them as losses is incorrect.

Check it out: Allan Goes MMA Record

In fact, Sakuraba said in an interview that he felt like he lost to Goes in their bout. Saku really struggled with the guard and almost got caught in a choke. Frank was forced to use a "rope break" and lose a point to get out of one of Goes' chokes, too.

BJ Penn trained with Goes in the past. I remember he included a guard to a standing opponent in his instructional book and called it the "Goes Guard." I can't remember what it was, though :)

1/8/14 3:34 PM
hackett
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/08/14 3:34 PM
Wasa-B - Did he ever sub anyone from guard in MMA?

Also, when Sak fought him, it was prior to any of the Gracie bouts and I believe an important bout for Sak in his evolution on how to beat BJJ and the guard. His next bout vs Vitor is when he started kicking at the legs of the guard.

For best guards in MMA, I'd have to go with Aoki and Nog.

He didn't sub any big names from guard but he definitely got a few guys. I remember he got Todd Bjornethun in a triangle at Battlecade and the kneebar against Chris West at Rumble on the Rock was off of a pretty roll from half-guard.

So, yeah, I'm not sure his guard is the best ever -- but he was a heck of a fighter in his day.

1/8/14 4:24 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

Dang you're right hackett. It's been so long since I've seen those fights. I remember re-watching the Henderson not too long ago, but now I'm gonna have to go watch those other 2 fights.

Great throwback thread.

1/8/14 4:49 PM
Haulport

Allen was awesome. Wish his career wasn't cut short by Coleman.
1/8/14 6:50 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny, just read the Sherdog article on the history of Vale Tudo before coming across this threa last night. Great article like its JMMA article, of course not talked about much on here: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Vale-Tudo-A-Rich-Storied-Complex-Past-59571

There was an old Carlson team pic with all the guys pretty young and skinny incl Goes:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.