UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Best guard in all of MMA Allan Goes

1/9/14 8:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hackett
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/14 8:54 PM
SevenLeggedSpider - 

hackett, brother, PLEASE man, post more.

Not just in this thread, I mean in general. I can tell you are more old school than me. I love being educated on older stuff. Guys like you and crowbar are a rare breed on these forums.  You've got knowledge man, I know it, so share it more!

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed my posts here. I will do my best! 

Appreciate the Vote Up as well, Wasa-B!!!

1/9/14 9:29 PM
wpipes
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allan gave me my blue in 97. Lived at his house for a month off harbor blvd in Costa Mesa. Phone Post 3.0
1/10/14 6:49 PM
hackett
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/14 6:50 PM
wpipes - Allan gave me my blue in 97. Lived at his house for a month off harbor blvd in Costa Mesa. Phone Post 3.0

Cool!  I didn't realize he was in Orange County back then. Seems he was in Brazil for most of his career, but then I remember him at AMC in the Seattle area in the early 2000's, around the time of his IFL run. I'd love to train with him one day. 

There's a book, The Last Wrestlers by Marcus Trower, which includes a nice segment with Goes if anyone's interested.

The writer, Marcus Trower, travels the world looking for different wrestling traditions and makes a stop in Brazil towards the end. He meets with several guys from BTT and Ruas Vale Tudo, and it's all really good stuff -- but Goes was by far the highlight.

Goes described how he struggled after the knockout at the hands of Alec Stiebling, how he fought to buy his parents a home and get them out of the favelas, really how crazy his life is -- coming from a ghetto in Brazil, but ending up featured as a character in a Japanese video game. It's only a few pages -- but it stuck with me.

1/10/14 10:24 PM
SevenLeggedSpider
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is exactly why I think you should post more hackett.  You have got some serious knowledge by all the books you have read and a good memory to retain that info.

I liked reading that post, I wish I had an alert for when you posted.

1/10/14 11:36 PM
EFeeez
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/11/14 2:20 AM
bignightmare
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

long story short 1998 or so

I answered phones for a local utility and took a call from Joe Morieras wife. She was helping Alan Goes turn on the lights at his new place in Costa Mesa. I mention I trained and used to wrestle in college. She insists I come down a train the next night. gets my number and calls the next day telling me to come down at 530.

I am stoked to get a free lesson from a dude I looked up to in Alan.

I get there and there are 5 dudes. Alan, 2 other brazilians, Pistol Pete (who I looked up to as a mtn biker) and a guy I knew named Jason Dallas.

Alan is super cool and thanks me for coming. Tells me to stretch and get warm. Dallas grabs me and we drill wrestling a lil. He ear ties me and says, "Hey man I didnt know you were an All American". I explained I wasnt and would never say I was. He tells me, " Joes wife told us you were an All American Wrestler that had a boxing background". I exlpained I boxed as a kid but hadnt sparred in 10 years and had never told her that.

Dallas tells me," Hey man these dudes are all here to get work in with a wrestler and boxer. They think that you are THE dude to spar with, I am just here to help out".

WTF???? I never said any of that....All I could do was glove up, swing and do my best to be tough and every single one of those dudes beat the living shit outta me minus Pete who just seemed to understand I was way over my head. Alan was flying triangling me and shit...it was a horrible beating.

Afterwards I couldn't understand a word any of the brazilians said. Later I read an interview where Goes said he wasnt scared of American Wrestling. I always wondered if I was why.

Lesson= Joes wife was a lil nuts I think

The old days were alot different
1/11/14 2:36 AM
SevenLeggedSpider
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Afterwards I couldn't understand a word any of the brazilians said. Later I read an interview where Goes said he wasnt scared of American Wrestling. I always wondered if I was why."

Laughing my butt off!!!

1/11/14 7:05 AM
Truemanc3
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bignightmare - long story short 1998 or so

I answered phones for a local utility and took a call from Joe Morieras wife. She was helping Alan Goes turn on the lights at his new place in Costa Mesa. I mention I trained and used to wrestle in college. She insists I come down a train the next night. gets my number and calls the next day telling me to come down at 530.

I get there and there are 5 dudes. Alan, 2 other brazilians, Pistol Pete (who I looked up to as a mtn biker) and a guy I knew named Jason Dallas.

Alan is super cool and thanks me for coming. Tells me to stretch and get warm. Dallas grabs me and we drill wrestling a lil. He ear ties me and says, "Hey man I didnt know you were an All American". I explained I wasnt and would never say I was. He tells me, " Joes wife told us you were an All American Wrestler that had a boxing background". I exlpained I boxed as a kid but hadnt sparred in 10 years and had never told her that.

Dallas tells me," Hey man these dudes are all here to get work in with a wrestler and boxer. They think that you are THE dude to spar with, I am just here to help out".

WTF???? I never said any of that....All I could do was glove up, swing and do my best to be tough and every single one of those dudes beat the living shit outta me minus Pete who just seemed to understand I was way over my head. Alan was flying triangling me and shit...it was a horrible beating.

Afterwards I couldn't understand a word any of the brazilians said. Later I read an interview where Goes said he wasnt scared of American Wrestling. I always wondered if I was why.

lol!

That was fucked up :)

Hats off to you for training with those guys regardless.

I actually think Alan Goes is probably the most overlooked jj guy out there.

I have rolled with many Black belts over the years and Allan really stands out on his own.
1/11/14 8:52 AM
Ray Elbe
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bignightmare - long story short 1998 or so

Voted up Phone Post 3.0
1/13/14 7:25 PM
hackett

Wasa-B - 
hackett - 

Yeah, don't get me wrong -- it's still pretty good. I remember Sherdog having a good piece on Shooto as well.

There always seems to be some facts in dispute about Brazilian jiu-jitsu history, too.

The Carlson Gracie Academy in Chicago (now run by Carlson, Jr.) has a Carlson Gracie, Sr. profile which lists that first meeting between Santana and Gracie as a jiu-jitsu (gi) match, but others imply it was a vale tudo.

Everyone agrees it was a draw, though, and the big rematch the next year was won by Carlson via TKO. I've seen the newspaper accounts, they're also printed in Kid Peligro's book "The Gracie Way."

Roberto Pedreira is supposed to have a book coming out this year about Brazilian jiu-jitsu's early history. He was giving chapter-by-chapter English summaries of Relia Gracie's book about Carlos Gracie, Sr, but stopped for some reason :(

This is the Shooto one i think you're talking about, its about JMMA in general, and it prowrestling roots, and the connection of all the founders of Shooto, Rings, Pancrase, Pride.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/MMA-At-20-Japans-Splintered-Origins-60221

Yeah, i know BJJ history and stuff in general can be quite disputed and contentious, lol. How about Renzo's book though? Seems to have a good rep?

Ugh, I'm sorry I never answered your question here, Wasa!

I enjoyed Renzo's book a lot. The history segment is about 40 pages and it's really cool, going from ancient history to the Kodokan to modern MMA.

There's a story in it about a jujutsu school named Fusen-Ryu which is said to have defeated the Kodokan in an interschool challenge, forcing Kano to adopt more groundwork in judo. I'm not so sure about the details that are given there. But, it's interesting.

The book does give a clear lineage from Kano to Maeda to the Gracie family, instead of the goofy myth we sometimes get: vaguely describing a jujutsu master from Japan, who taught something which Helio Gracie overhauled. I recommend giving it a look, but the history and theory is only the first half. I didn't find the technique section useful.

I read "Way of Judo" by John Stevens recently and loved it. Maeda is mentioned there but it's mostly on Kano's life. It really fleshes him out, explains the conflicts he had, even (especially?) with his students, offers a portrait of many of his students, and then ends gracefully with Kano's calligraphy. 100% recommend that one.

1/13/14 7:27 PM
hackett

Oh, and that's a great story, bignightmare. Ouch! Thanks for sharing!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.