UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> When We Were Bouncers: Aaron Riley

1/8/14 5:48 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Actor/stuntman/fighter Paul "The Mauler" Lazenby has an awesome new Facebook page - When We Were Bouncers. Every Monday he presents a crazy new story from former security personnel who went on to become actors, fighters, comedians, pro wrestlers, stuntmen and other standouts in their chosen fields.

He recently sat down with Aaron Riley, who has one of the longest, toughest, and most exciting careers in the sport's history.

IN AN UNUSUAL WAY, security work started early for me because I started to fight [professionally] super young. I started kickboxing when I was 14 and MMA when I was 16, plus I was on my high school wrestling team. So all the time, people I went to high school with would want me to back them up like I was their ace in the hole. They’d routinely ring my doorbell while they were on their way to fight somebody, asking me to come along to back them up.

Later on, after I moved to Kirkland, Washington and began training at AMC Kickboxing, a buddy of mine who was moving out of town gave me his [bouncing] job at a place in Seattle called The Irish Immigrant. The place was aptly named because when I started, I think I was the only American working there -- almost everyone else was an actual transplant from Ireland. Those guys were always ready to throw down at the drop of a hat because that was just a normal night at the bar for them

Unsurprisingly, we had our share of situations there, and I quickly became good at seeing the signs and not being at the epicenter when things happened.

One time, our whole crew got into it with some locals who were being rowdy, and the bar's owner Pat came out from behind the bar and got involved. We got this group of guys pushed out into the alley beside the bar, and it was five or six of them against roughly the same number of us, coming together in a “mini-Braveheart” kind of clash. (laughs) As usual, I made sure not to get caught in the middle of it -- the Irish guys really liked to fight anyway so I left them to throw all the punches, kicks and knees. I just stayed on the outer edge of the skirmish and played “goalie” -- whenever somebody got pushed out of the action, I’d run around and knock ‘em back into play. (laughs) If I remember correctly, it didn’t go well for the locals that night!

A WHILE LATER ANOTHER AMERICAN guy got hired on, a guy named Bernard, and one night he was talking to this guy who was being drunk and dumb and kicking the sign outside the bar. I wasn’t too concerned because it looked like Bernard had things fairly under control. But the guy eventually kicked the sign one time too many, and all of a sudden Bernard snatched this guy up, slapped on a rear naked and lifted the guy right off the ground! Really chokin’ him hard, trying to put him to sleep.

After the guy finally passed out, the weirdest thing happened. Bernard let him go and the guy slumped to the ground, but then immediately popped right back up and took off running. He reached the street outside the club just as a taxi drove by, and without even hesitating this guy jumped up onto the hood of the car! The taxi driver started freaking out and swerving all over the road, with the drunk guy clinging on and yelling, “YOU SAW THAT! HE ASSAULTED ME! YOU SAW IT!” It was like a movie with the guy laying across the windshield and screaming, and of course the cab driver couldn’t see anything so ended up swerving up onto the curb and taking out a trash can!

That was Seattle, man -- it was just this weird, off-the-wall kind of place where even the fights weren’t normal, and almost always involved something crazy happening.

Check out www.facebook.com/FamousBouncers for more bouncer stories from stars in a wide variety of pursuits. For UG Blog excerpts for MMA Fighters, check out:
When We Were Bouncers: Tom Erikson
When We Were Bouncers: Paul Cheng
When We Were Bouncers: Shayna Baszler
When We Were Bouncers: Gary Myers
When We Were Bouncers: Jonathan Goulet
When We Were Bouncers: Gene LeBell
When We Were Bouncers: John Lober
When We Were Bouncers: Paul Varelans
When We Were Bouncers: Pat Miletich (someone gets attacked with a pitchfork)
When We Were Bouncers: Renzo Gracie (he bounced in a brothel at 14)

1/8/14 5:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShoreBreaker420
1020 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 6:11 PM
Steven McTowelie
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love these! Phone Post 3.0
1/8/14 11:18 PM
CaptChaos
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as the pure toughness category is concerned, Aaron Riley was at the top of the list. He was scrappy and always came to fight. Always a fan of this guy!
1/8/14 11:39 PM
Carlton Fist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riley vs Berger in a Hook N Shoot classic.

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5K21pNLV8

part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R6TX29pEDQ
1/9/14 3:17 PM
cmfc
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met Aaron at a UFC show in CT..seemed to be shocked I recognized him..probably the nicest pro I've ever met..one of my all time favorites
1/9/14 3:31 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riley vs. Berger pt. 1
1/9/14 3:32 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

part 2
1/9/14 3:51 PM
Hel13torm
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys need to fix landscape on this damn app. Trying to read that article is a pain in the ass Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 3:59 PM
donnybrook
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was the guy moving out of town who gave Aaron my door job. It was really funny his first couple of nights because Aaron is such a nice guy he was not at all comfortable getting aggressive and in someone's face in a bouncer type role. Many at the bar did not know how tough he really was. A while later after I had moved one of the guys who still worked there told me that Pat had put his fight with Lawler on and everyone was is shock!

Best of luck in retirement Aaron!

Kevin Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 7:23 PM
hackett
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stuff. Any big MMA fan will have great memories of Riley, but especially here in the Pacific NW! Hope he's doing well.

I remember that bar being named the "Irish Emigrant," by the way. I think it was in the University District?

1/10/14 12:07 PM
donnybrook
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, it was the Irish Emigrant. I haven't lived there in almost 15 years but I think the moved the location, then Pat, the owner, closed it an opened a new bar.
1/17/14 12:54 AM
Carlton Fist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_5 for fighting- Appreciated, respect!
1/17/14 8:44 AM
UGCTT_5 for fighting

Carlton Fist - UGCTT_5 for fighting- Appreciated, respect!
It brought back some memories. Loved Hook n Shoot. Phone Post
1/17/14 8:50 AM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting story.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.