UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> WWE Bigleagued UFC with WWE Network

1/9/14 6:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jone2tone
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -
Jone2tone - Personally, I hope the WWE Network is a huge success. HUGE.

The better it does, the more the UFC's going to have to look at the reality of what they need to change in Fight Pass.

They're each $10/mo right now. Who can't afford to flush $20/mo for enough stuff to watch that you'll never need to turn your TV on again? But, if Fight Pass stays where it is now I won't pay for it. What they offer just isn't worth $10. Phone Post 3.0

the wwe network will likely be a huge success.  they need a million to break even with making up the lost ppv revenue, cover costs of extra production, etc...  With the amount of people that consume their product i think they can eventually get 2 million.  I think this will produce more revenue for them than ppv ever could moving forward.

So then, if my idea is right, hopefully Zuffa follows suit. Clearly they have it in the Fight Pass disclosures that they can change prices when they want. So pull a WWE - give Fight Pass subscribers the PPVs built in (maybe closer to 14.99/mo), and still broadcast PPV for those who don't subscribe. Let the two content delivery channels battle it out for dominance. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 7:24 AM
Jerkie
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caused Stone Cold said so!!!!

Jesus can't wait to watch WWF attitude/WCW NWO and ECW era Phone Post
1/9/14 7:27 AM
torquemada
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zuffa genuinely believe that online is the future.

We'll see.. Phone Post
1/9/14 7:33 AM
Bobby Lupo
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice bump for the people who do the buy WWE stock before Survivor Series, sell at Wrestlemania.

1/9/14 7:44 AM
McGillicutty
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Aussie - Nobody's ever heard of tape trading/DVD trading lol? I've had complete sets of every wwf and wcw show for years.

Not gonna comment about my UFC collection though. Phone Post 3.0

Same here. I have 279 GB on disk that I will most likely delete after launch. Their library will be incredible quality compared to the shitty compressed videos I've collected. Not to mention the audio and visual censors from the lawsuit which are no longer required.

The value compared to current cable bill pricing is an incredible deal. These kinds of subscription based services are going to be the final nail in the coffin for cable/satellite providers. I see myself staying subscribed to WWE Network indefinitely. Bravo to Vince for leading the pack and changing the game.
1/9/14 7:47 AM
Firecrap
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am 31 and grew up watching wrestling but haven't paid any attention for the past 10 years or more. I may get this to relive some of my favorite moments.

If they include a bunch of shoot videos I will order it for sure. I don't think there is a business in the world that has more interesting behind the scenes stories than pro wrestling.
1/9/14 8:12 AM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jone2tone - 
MMALOGIC -
Jone2tone - Personally, I hope the WWE Network is a huge success. HUGE.

The better it does, the more the UFC's going to have to look at the reality of what they need to change in Fight Pass.

They're each $10/mo right now. Who can't afford to flush $20/mo for enough stuff to watch that you'll never need to turn your TV on again? But, if Fight Pass stays where it is now I won't pay for it. What they offer just isn't worth $10. Phone Post 3.0

the wwe network will likely be a huge success.  they need a million to break even with making up the lost ppv revenue, cover costs of extra production, etc...  With the amount of people that consume their product i think they can eventually get 2 million.  I think this will produce more revenue for them than ppv ever could moving forward.

So then, if my idea is right, hopefully Zuffa follows suit. Clearly they have it in the Fight Pass disclosures that they can change prices when they want. So pull a WWE - give Fight Pass subscribers the PPVs built in (maybe closer to 14.99/mo), and still broadcast PPV for those who don't subscribe. Let the two content delivery channels battle it out for dominance. Phone Post 3.0

I dont think Zuffa can get the amount of subscribers needed to replace ppv revenue.  WWE's ppv business has been down and their ppv revenue is around half what zuffa makes.  WWE would need a million subscribers to break even (replace its ppv revenue) but zuffa would need more.  WWE has a larger universe of fans and will likley be closer to 2 million subscribers eventually.  So wwe will not only replace it's ppv revenue successfully but likely double it with this move.

Zuffa had around 6 million ppv buys this year at $50 which is roughly $300m in revenue.  Zuffa gets roughly half at 150m.  but Fertitta isnt going to value what the ppv business is  worth based in this... he's going to look at the top year which was over 9m buys which means 450m in revenue at half would be 225m.

But Fertitta probably doesnt value the model based on the revenue he gets... he looks at that entire 450m and values it at that becuase that's the total revenue the product generates irrespective of who it goes to and how it's divvied up.

let's just use 6 million buys a year which is 300m.  if you can sell these ppv's through a platform like fight pass you keep all the revenue and you dont have to split it with the cable and satelite companies.  that's alot of money to give up.

You'd need 1.6m subscribers at 14.95/mo to match that.    It's not clear yet what fight pass will need to replace if anything.  It could replace fox or ppv or both or neither.

for the wwe it was clear so they set up a service to do just that... for zuffa it's not clear yet so they just created a service as a placeholder so once it becomes clear they can position and develop it for that purpose.

maybe the best combination to maximize revenue would be subscription service plus ppv.  maybe it's only subscription service... maybe it's just joint venturing with fox on a 24 hour ufc network and everything is free.

the US marlet is worth around 500m to 600m a year... the question is what is the best way for Zuffa to mine that.

Let's say Zuffa has around 100 fight nights a year and around 12 editions of tuf.  YOu could probably get 1m to 1.5m subscribers (domestically) at 14.95/mo for that. which is 180m to 270m a year in revenue.

In addition Zuffa has around 6 million domestic ppv buys a year at $50...  which is an additional 300m in revenue.

plus around 10% in sponsor and ad revnue for both products.  that's 500m to 600m in revenue.  The easy way would be for fox to just pay that or to get it through a joint venture with fox.  the other way would be digital service plus ppv.

1/9/14 8:31 AM
EckY
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WWE just showed everyone what the future of UFC should be, the longer it takes UFC to adapt the worse it looks for them imo. PPV has been a dying medium for quite awhile now, no idea how it has managed to stay around in this day and age.
1/9/14 8:48 AM
MMALOGIC

EckY - WWE just showed everyone what the future of UFC should be, the longer it takes UFC to adapt the worse it looks for them imo. PPV has been a dying medium for quite awhile now, no idea how it has managed to stay around in this day and age.

I dont know about dying... we'll see how the TV landscape shakes out in the next few years with everything going streaming.

With everything going streaming and with most homes having high end TV's or full in home theater systems there's talk of movie studios going direct to the consumer with new movie releases... you could see avengers 8 for 39.95 on ppv.

In that world ppv will only increase and it would only make sense for zuffa to keep its ppv business.

1/9/14 8:55 AM
EckY
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could see PPV sticking around if that was the case, but that would effectively kill the cinemas, so I doubt we see that. I think with all the options people have nowadays, paying 60 dollars for 3 hours of entertainment just doesn't cut it anymore. UFC is now the most expensive form of sports/entertainment to watch, by far.
1/9/14 9:15 AM
The Destroyer88

Firecrap - I am 31 and grew up watching wrestling but haven't paid any attention for the past 10 years or more. I may get this to relive some of my favorite moments.

If they include a bunch of shoot videos I will order it for sure. I don't think there is a business in the world that has more interesting behind the scenes stories than pro wrestling.

They did like a 50 part shoot series called Legends of Wrestling on WWE Classics where legends sit around a table and discuss various topics such as Heat Seekers, Factions, The Lost art of the Manager, the NWO, the Territories, Giants, Tag Teams, the 1970's, the Culture of Southern Wrestling, Wrestling Families, Texas Wrestling, Greatest Rivalries, and a bunch more. If this doesn't make it to the WWE Network it'd be a shame because that was an amazing series any wrestling fan should take the time out to watch.
1/9/14 9:30 AM
The Destroyer88

"There will also be a “vault” option, which will give you access to WWE’s entire home video collection and various videos from WCW and ECW."
1/9/14 9:42 AM
IZASH INDUSTRY
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man ... I drifted away from WWE a good few years ago now but the idea of getting to watch Attitude era stuff from my youth and even catch some of these ECW PPV's that we didn't get to see in the UK ... I think thats worth a 6 month commitment. At the end of the 6 months I might have had my fix and just cancel. Unlike the UFC Fight Pass roll-out .. I'm actually a bit excited by this.

Side Note: Bleacher Report are saying WWE will be putting up a disclaimer everytime Chris Benoit makes an appearance. Can that be right!? Seems like that would just draw attention to it even more.
1/9/14 9:45 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get the barber chair and scissors I'm in. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 9:46 AM
beasly213
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couple things -

I think the WWE does over 1 million subscribers. The last 10 Wrestlemania events have either been over a million or near a million buys

To those who are curious as to how the WWE is going to get away with giving away every PPV for 9.99 a month..

Now that this is all their internal network they get to keep all the money from subscribers and don't have to give a cut to the cable companies. So $49.99 - $9.99 a month seems like a huge drop, it's not as big of a gap as you would think.

1/9/14 10:12 AM
TempestPrime15
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME - 

VU

1/9/14 10:28 AM
Localcup
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

beasly213 - Couple things -

I think the WWE does over 1 million subscribers. The last 10 Wrestlemania events have either been over a million or near a million buys

To those who are curious as to how the WWE is going to get away with giving away every PPV for 9.99 a month..

Now that this is all their internal network they get to keep all the money from subscribers and don't have to give a cut to the cable companies. So $49.99 - $9.99 a month seems like a huge drop, it's not as big of a gap as you would think.

You have to remember wwe is a worldwide company, they might active the magic 2 million number in north America alone, but then you throw in uk/europe/Australia/south africa/Mexico they will defiantly be making a profit.

Same with the ufc, if they offered all ppv for a $15 a month fee and throw in the 20 million + brazillions who watch the ufc, the ufc would be in a good place! Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 11:04 AM
Stea1th

Zuffa could be pocketing $120 a year from it's viewer or $0 from the one that doesn't order any PPV's.

1/9/14 11:08 AM
Mihow
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hoping it's all Nitros Raws Saturday Night Main Events etc too Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 11:12 AM
JerodR
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think the UFC needs to match it but the setup should be similar. Personally I would have no problem paying $20 for the same service as WWE. That would only need just under 1 million subscribers to net the UFC 225 million. If that were on XBox and PS3 that number is EASILY obtainable. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 11:15 AM
RyannVonDoom

Localcup -
beasly213 - Couple things -

You have to remember wwe is a worldwide company, they might active the magic 2 million number in north America alone, but then you throw in uk/europe/Australia/south africa/Mexico they will defiantly be making a profit.

Same with the ufc, if they offered all ppv for a $15 a month fee and throw in the 20 million + brazillions who watch the ufc, the ufc would be in a good place! Phone Post 3.0
Bingo. The latin market alone they get the one million number, easy. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 11:15 AM
bonersaurus
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People forget that a lot of ppv's are purchased in groups. For UFC's there's a bunch of us that chip in for the ones we want. I would think a lot of people who group up would sign up individually for something like this if it offered ppv's for a $10 a month. You get 3 people putting in $10 a month without a middle man who would normally just meet up. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 11:24 AM
JimmersonzGlove
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RondaHonda'dmymangina3744 -

I didnt even see this thread i am def getting that WWE network.  I wish they had the old AWA NWA shit also. 

It does Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 11:29 AM
NKcell

Haven't watched wrestling in 10-12 years, but was a huge fan as a kid.
That's just a tremendous library of pro wrestling, its pretty much the history of pro
Wrestling in america and canada.

I'm def going to sign up, for 10 bucks even with 6 months.

The ufc fight pass sucks balls. Danas a greedy douche.
1/9/14 11:30 AM
SQUEEZIE

the ufc fight pass is going to fail so bad.

everyone here not named cindy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.