UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pettis: I hope Silva doesn't come back

1/8/14 11:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Anderson Silva's camp has already reported that the former UFC champion would like to fight again after he recovers from his broken leg. One person who would rather not see him come back is UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis:

"I hope he doesn’t [come back] because why?" Pettis told Yahoo Sports Tuesday night at a Monster headphones event as part of the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show. "His legacy is already fulfilled. What’s he going to come back and win the belt? He’s done what he’s going to do in the sport."

While he wasn't cageside at UFC 168 for Weidman vs. Silva 2, Pettis was watching the fight as it happened live from his Milwaukee sports bar.

"I couldn’t even watch it," Pettis added. "It was disgusting. It sucks because he’s one of the greatest of all-time. He’s the Muhammad Ali of MMA and the way he went out sucks."

read entire article...

1/9/14 12:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JJarvis_6
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see him come back an have a few fun fights because he can't go out like that Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 12:08 AM
Fade7
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back, he loves to fight and he probably doesn't want to retire in that fashion from a leg injury.
1/9/14 12:10 AM
bigbenpie
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I'd like to see him do a few catch weight fights, not a title run. He's the GOAT and he can't go out like that! In saying that I hope Weidman has a long run as champ too, seems a likable guy Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 12:51 AM
ima zombie
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, but then again part of me wants to see silva fight again, the goat can't go out like that. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 1:03 AM
BlueWrapper
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Silva fan and I also hope he retires. He's already rich and has nothing to prove. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 1:58 AM
cdnz0mbieopc
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Pettis. Silva coming back will be like when MJ played for the Wizards.
1/9/14 2:07 AM
The Matrix is out of service
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Pettis, but I would love to see AS go out on his own terms, not a freak injury. I would be all for Anderson to retire, providing Anderson wanting that. Obviously he doesn't. Another thing I find amusing is how people act like Anderson all of a sudden can't compete just because he was destroyed by a strong talented young fighter that is Chris Weidman. I understand that age deminishes skill,, but this is Anderson Silva. It's not like he's taken as much punishment as it's being implied.

That said we'll see how he reacts to recovery and the training following. Hopefully it's a success and he comes back in great form for at least one more spectacle. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 2:40 AM
Cameron0000

I would like him to come back and do big fights like everyone keeps saying maybe take Jones on try get gsp out of retirement and any fights that would a crazy match up. But to be honest I think he is going to come back and fight until he can't any more and is forced to retire Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 3:06 AM
Handsome Jack
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was expecting "Pettis calls out one-legged Silva". You let me down UG Blog. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 5:16 AM
The Winter Soldier
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Pettis.

1/9/14 5:33 AM
thefunkyfreshFIEND
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joshua King - Sounds like Showtime read my thread Phone Post 3.0
Really . awesome!! Vu Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 5:38 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BlueWrapper - Big Silva fan and I also hope he retires. He's already rich and has nothing to prove. Phone Post 3.0
Why is everything about what Andy and GSP have left to prove? Why not fight cause you enjoy the sport. What the fuck does Tom Brady have to prove? Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 8:08 AM
iwatchsomemma

Silva will get more losses if he comes back, two maybe three.

That flash ko in rd1 of the last fight seems to be pretty telling.

He won't be as cocky and won't offer his head as a punching bag anymore.

He now knows his limits and so does the opponent.

A few fights with mid-tier is ok but against Top 5 he might get sent to retirement by force.

But I could be wrong.
1/9/14 9:34 AM
notsobigmike
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - 
BlueWrapper - Big Silva fan and I also hope he retires. He's already rich and has nothing to prove. Phone Post 3.0
Why is everything about what Andy and GSP have left to prove? Why not fight cause you enjoy the sport. What the fuck does Tom Brady have to prove? Phone Post 3.0

I understand the desire to compete, but from a fan's perspective, who wants to see a legend fight past his prime and either lose to the top guys, or beat up on mid-level guys?

1/9/14 9:54 AM
Mix6APlix

Pettis has horrible tattoos. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 9:55 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike -
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - 

I understand the desire to compete, but from a fan's perspective, who wants to see a legend fight past his prime and either lose to the top guys, or beat up on mid-level guys?

I'd love to watch Fedor come smash Schaub. Or Chuck crush Tim Kennedy. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 10:02 AM
palfor03

He's a grown man. If he wants to fight, let him. Geez. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 11:18 AM
Soup and Beer
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It still makes zero sense that Silva is talking about returning.  I have no idea what their motivation would be beyond a little more cash to thrown on the pile.  Silva already was bored of fighting and said it was probably his last fight win or lose.  After remaining champ to the point of boredom, why come back after a leg break just to fight other guys who don't have the belt?

1/9/14 11:32 AM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree 100%.

1/9/14 12:18 PM
supersaiyan

if he comes back...all the opponents are going to practice shin-check techs
1/9/14 12:22 PM
BigTedBear
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would understand if Anderson retired but I can also understand him wanting to come back just to prove that he can that said I can't see him finishing that 10 fight deal he signed. I would imagine he might have a fight then see how he feels just hope he isn't pressured into returning to soon. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.