UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The COLLAPSE of the UFC's PPV Model

1/9/14 2:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1a1
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More concerning is the fact that GSP and Silva are no longer gonna be fighting. How will they make up those PPV buys? They are already not doing great PPV wise.
1/9/14 2:13 PM
perfy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Their PPV model may be collapsing but they have other avenues to generate income so it's not so worrisome as some may play it out to be. Honestly the PPV market could die completely and they'd be fine if they could secure a non cable tv broadcast deal.
1/9/14 2:16 PM
SevenLeggedSpider
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I give props to Haulport.

#1. He made this thread knowing he would get backlash, but he doesn't give a fuck, he just likes to discuss mma and subjects of this nature, despite being ridiculed.

#2. He's bringing up some interesting figures.  Say what you will, but the chart is telling. I look at the downward trend and to me, that doesn't look positive.

Also, I understand where he's coming from regarding questioning Meltzer. I understand completely that it looks biased when he's citing the same guy when it's good, same guy when it's bad, but I do follow his logic.

1/9/14 2:28 PM
dabigchet

2nd highest PPV in the history of the promotion. second year of increases in row. yes, haulport, this is especially worrisome. brilliant analysis as usual.
1/9/14 2:50 PM
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA

Haulport -
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA - 
Haulport -
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA - Showing an increase year over year = COLAPSE!!!!

Mind bottling Phone Post 3.0

Did you ever answer what your age was on that other thread?
Relevance?

Your mental age is clear based on the fact that you admit obsessing over this topic and waiting on the edge of your computer chair to make this thread... Phone Post 3.0

And yet you seem obsessed over ME.

You ever see Star Wars?

"Who is more the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him"

Obi Wan Kenobi

And I hope to God you are a teenager for your sake. That would make a little sense at least...
Huh what?

Posting in your thread = obsession?

No I find humor in your obsession. If I came out and said I had been waiting and stalking day by day, to make a thread about you....that would be an obsession. I barely know who you even are, other than a bitter zuffa hater who claims to be a "fan" of MMA but I only see posting around here if it is trying to shit on zuffa.... Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 2:52 PM
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA

Haulport -
nobones - 
Haulport -
MMALOGIC - 
Haulport - 
MMALOGIC - 
kungfugrip - is it safe to say the ufc is making more money now then they did 5 years ago in non-ppv items?

The tv deal must bring in lots of money. All of these events bring in lots of gate money also. Add to this, the expansion overseas and other countries around the world.

The number of huge ppv events are less, but I'm guessing the bottom dollar is much higher

Finally, I dont see the ufc cutting corners or taking cheat ways to keep things going.

Zuffa has record total revenues in 2013.

Since Zuffa is a private company and all their deals are nothing more than PR releases you CONVENIENTLY can't prove what you are saying so please be quiet...

the same guy you use to cite your ppv numbers from will confirm that in 2013 Zuffa pulled record total revenues.

And he has zero proof of either. This is all conjecture but I doubt Zuffa would be lying (thru Meltzer) about such shitty PPV numbers...
Meltzer doesn't get his numbers from Zuffa fool. He gets them from the PPV companies. He gets initial projections then adjusts them over and over as the real numbers come in.

Your thread makes no sense. You post a bunch of PPV numbers then you question your own source when it conveniences you? And this doesn't look like any sort of 'collapse'. This may be under performance from YOUR expectations but that is all. Zuffa seems to be doing much better than I thought with PPV. Having said that I am sure one day their cable PPV will cease to be their primary source of revenue. But they are already preparing for that day. Phone Post 3.0

Another Fly!

Namecalling is all you fellas seem to have up your sleeves. You don't know where Meltzer gets his numbers from. You just know what he says. And as far as using his numbers and then questioning them, that is just good reporting and logic. I seriously doubt the UFC would be releasing awesome gate numbers and then letting Meltzer tell everyone their PPV numbers suck and not correct him. So I am more inclined to believe bad news than good news when it comes to Zuffa disinformation.

If you can't understand that then I can't help you...
Oh the ironing.

He didnt even call you names. He pointed out clear faults in your thought process and then YOU called him a name. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 2:53 PM
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA

Tad Ghostal - Pretty crazy that GSP brought in over 25% of all PPV buys last year (I'm sure he made 25% of the UFC's total PPV profit though, right?).

At least they'll have a good reason not to increase fighters pay now that their PPV model is collapsing.
Yess because PPV is the only way zuffa makes profit....so clearly GSP should get the same %....derp. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 2:56 PM
Chris27

Haulport - 
Chris27 - 
Haulport - 
Winston Wolf - the same UFC shills,interns and paid posters no suprise

Like I mentioned above: lay out some fly paper and you will catch some flies : )

And that doesnt work both ways?  the same anti Zuffa trolls come out in any positive UFC thread. 

Stop pretending you two are any different. 

I am not a troll you are. You pretend to be an MMA fan but are a hardcore shill for the UFC.

I don't like the UFC. I don't hide that. I don't like their strategies and business practices and I don't hide that or deny it or try to make believe I am doing one thing while really doing something else. So how am I a troll?

I pretend to be an mma fan?  So I pretend to watch every Bellator event, Legacy, MFC, OneFC, WSOF events?  I dont go to Ring of Combat shows in AC?  I dont watch russian streams or KSW events or Jungle Fights events on Combate online?

I guess I'm just pretending to be a fan.  Good to know. 

1/9/14 3:03 PM
JJLong

2008 - 2010 is the Lesnar boom, there isn't a breakdown of the PPV model.

With the oversaturation and all of the free product on TV, it is actually fairly impressive how well they did on PPV.
1/9/14 3:04 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

dabigchet - 2nd highest PPV in the history of the promotion. second year of increases in row. yes, haulport, this is especially worrisome. brilliant analysis as usual.

1/9/14 3:06 PM
AndersonSilvasMoney
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I picture Haulport seeing the 1.1 million number, plugging it into this excel sheet, seeing the upward trend and saying "fuck it, I want to make the thread anyway." Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 3:11 PM
inspireduk

This year will be interesting as the the biggest draws - brock, gsp and Silva aren't on the scene for 2014.
The big hope of Cain appealing to the Mexican community and attracting them hasn't materialised.
Jon Jones just hasn't crossed over as much as would be expected.
It's just Ronda Rousey many with Hollywood calling it may not even be her for long.
The WWE model of offering all PPVs as part of their new package could be an option. Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 3:14 PM
HolyHackZack
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'Everything UFC related at an all time low!' - Weekly postings on UG Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 3:31 PM
dabigchet

SevenLeggedSpider - 
dabigchet - 2nd highest PPV in the history of the promotion. second year of increases in row. yes, haulport, this is especially worrisome. brilliant analysis as usual.

tell me braniac, how exactly is this chart a counterpoint?

the second biggest PPV of all time was only a couple weeks ago. PPV business is up for 3 years in a row DESPITE a BIG increase of free and basic cable fights when compared to the lesnar years.

it is ridiculous to look at that and call it "The COLLAPSE of the UFC's PPV Model". don't you agree?
1/9/14 3:33 PM
Kneeblock
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rambo John J - 

LMAO

1/9/14 3:59 PM
Humanityisthedevil
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taking a break from working on my company's year end finance report to read this thread, thanks for the laughs.
1/9/14 4:35 PM
Haulport

When your numbers are 30% lower than they were 3 years ago, year to year doesn't mean shit. If you think it does you have no fucking clue whatsoever and probably don't work at a job that needs to you think.
1/9/14 4:40 PM
slamming
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RicGillespie - 
Haulport - 
RicGillespie - 2013's numbers better then 2012's or 11's and people are saying it it collapsing? Seems like it's starting to rebound from the switch from moving off of Spike to FS1.

No. 2013 edged out 2012 but were 5% lower than 2012 which were 24% lower than the avg of 2009-2010.

There were 3 less ppv events. Average buyers per event increased. Try to spin it as a negative all you want but it is an increase with the money they get from the Fox shows.

This thread is a failure, just as expected.

There was a 17% increase in PPV buys since 2011 and somehow this is considered a collapse. Way to be.
1/9/14 4:44 PM
dabigchet

If you are increasing 2 years in a row, but still significantly less than your peak, you are collapsing? In retrospect do you think that was a poor choice of words? (Be honest) Phone Post 3.0
1/9/14 4:45 PM
slamming
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AndersonSilvasMoney - I picture Haulport seeing the 1.1 million number, plugging it into this excel sheet, seeing the upward trend and saying "fuck it, I want to make the thread anyway." Phone Post 3.0

This is precisely what happened. He had the thread all ready to go and when the number came out he regret the time he spent drafting it already and just ran with it.

"a 17% increase in average PPV buys since 2011?! Fuck it, ill just try get by acting elitist."

Humourous backfire of a thread.
1/9/14 4:46 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

HP, do you put any emphasis on the decline a couple years ago on the huge amount of main event injuries?

1/9/14 4:47 PM
Haulport

dabigchet - 
SevenLeggedSpider - 

tell me braniac, how exactly is this chart a counterpoint?

the second biggest PPV of all time was only a couple weeks ago. PPV business is up for 3 years in a row DESPITE a BIG increase of free and basic cable fights when compared to the lesnar years.

it is ridiculous to look at that and call it "The COLLAPSE of the UFC's PPV Model". don't you agree?

You can't even read a chart. The AVG is up three years in a row anfter a HUGE drop. The TOTAL number (i.e. the "PPV Business") is only up a fraction y/y.

You can't even read a two-line Line Chart and you are calling people names?????
1/9/14 4:49 PM
slamming

Haulport - 

When your numbers are 30% lower than they were 3 years ago, year to year doesn't mean shit. If you think it does you have no fucking clue whatsoever and probably don't work at a job that needs to you think.

What is it that you that has you being so shortsighted?

"Let's ignore any upward trend over the past 2 years despite experiencing a major business restructure and industry shake up- that dont mean shit!"

LOL
1/9/14 4:50 PM
Haulport

slamming - 
RicGillespie - 
Haulport - 
RicGillespie - 2013's numbers better then 2012's or 11's and people are saying it it collapsing? Seems like it's starting to rebound from the switch from moving off of Spike to FS1.

No. 2013 edged out 2012 but were 5% lower than 2012 which were 24% lower than the avg of 2009-2010.

There were 3 less ppv events. Average buyers per event increased. Try to spin it as a negative all you want but it is an increase with the money they get from the Fox shows.

This thread is a failure, just as expected.

There was a 17% increase in PPV buys since 2011 and somehow this is considered a collapse. Way to be.

Another one who can't read charts. Total PPVs are DOWN 5% not up. The avg per event is up which is meaningless since there were less events in in 2013 than 2011.

If you people can't read a basic chart I don't even know what to say....
1/9/14 4:52 PM
SevenLeggedSpider

I think the point most people are trying to make is that this thread would be more relevent and accurate if it was made in 2011, when the decline was at an all time low. 

Which leads me to my unanswered question-do you think the huge number of main event injuries had any effect on the decline of ppv #s in 2011?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.