UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Brunson suffers broken jaw in loss

1/16/14 10:54 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Derek Brunson and Yoel Romero gave fans the Fight of the Night, and earned an extra $50,000 each in the process. But in the process, Brunson suffered a broken jaw.

"Just went to the hospital to see @DerekBrunsonMMA," tweeted UFC president Dana White. "He has a fractured jaw. He is waiting to have surgery.”

Brunson won the first two rounds, and Romero knew it.

“I knew I had to keep moving and that a fight is never over," said Romero. "I could tell he didn’t like getting hit, so I felt eventually if I could land some shots, I would finish the fight.”

And so he did. In the third Romero landed some clean shots and took it to the ground. Brunson's mouthpiece got disloged, and some big shots landed before elbows to the body finished it. In the event of a mouthpiece getting disloged, referees are instructed to return it, if they can do so without interfering with the course of the fight. This is tough to do mid GnP, and is a likely cause of the injury.

Post fight Brunson tweeted a positive message.

Derek Brunson @DerekBrunsonMMA
Fought 1 of the best guys in the world. Silver medalist in Olympic wrestling who I took down three times. Wasn't my night I'll be back. God bless

UG Blog will update this space when further information is available on Brunson’s condition.

1/16/14 11:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad to know he isn't in ICU after that loss. Man that was tough to watch.
1/16/14 11:04 AM
UGCTT_RawDizzle
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those rib shots >.< Phone Post 3.0
1/16/14 1:36 PM
ranier wolfcastle
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yep. 12-6 elbows to the ribs always break the jaw

1/16/14 1:41 PM
StocktonStickerSlap
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -

yep. 12-6 elbows to the ribs always break the jaw

I found it odd too... Phone Post 3.0
1/16/14 1:54 PM
Willin
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was either the rib shots or the punch to the jaw which broke his jaw. It's unclear at this time.

1/16/14 1:54 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ref let him take too much punishment Phone Post 3.0
1/16/14 2:05 PM
Cann
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad ref, imo. Let it go way too long, should have ended it at least 10-15 seconds earlier, especially when he was covering up and on his side with his face facing the mat.
1/16/14 2:07 PM
thatdude21601
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was a "stock rises in a loss" type of fight though. Speedy recovery!
1/16/14 2:16 PM
Cyboth

Fight should have been stopped way before, I don't know what the ref was seeing that was making him hesitate to stop that fight, Brunson was not even moving when he ate all those elbows.
1/16/14 2:17 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Speedy recovery.

1/16/14 2:25 PM
rioz17

Wasnt a fan after the leben fight but the dude has heart to take all the punishment he did Phone Post
1/16/14 2:39 PM
thatdude21601
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brunson was winning on all the judges cards before the third round. Impressive comeback for Romero too.
1/16/14 3:41 PM
GarlicSenior

Great fight from both dudes. Any word on why that ref hates Brunson so much?
1/16/14 3:51 PM
Bucephalus

I'm pretty sure his jaw was broken by one of the shots landed when he was on the ground at the end. Brutal power displayed by Romero.
1/16/14 4:17 PM
Il Duce
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fire that ref. No idea when the fracture happened, but the dude blew it big time. Phone Post 3.0
1/16/14 4:38 PM
ChucoV
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brunson definitely made me into a fan this fight though. Can't wait to see him compete again. Phone Post 3.0
1/16/14 6:14 PM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Romero is a powerhouse.
1/16/14 8:17 PM
Bucephalus

KingofBJJ - Jesus some of guys whine like a bunch of girls (maybe you are?). You butthurt when the ref stops it too soon. You butthurt when the ref waits too long to stop it.

There is no pleasing you.

Many people argue about when night turns to day or day turns to night. That's understandable. But some can't seem tell the difference between the two. That's a problem.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.