UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Need advice: defending against spinning back kicks

1/19/14 6:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tyrone sBong
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a fight coming up in three weeks for an ammy title and my opponent is an ex TKD champ. I've seen a few of his fights an he loves throwing flashy spinning kicks, I'm pretty confident with my boxing wrestling and ground game over his, I just don't wanna get caught by a sneaky fucking spinning kick to the sternum or face. My game plan so far is to not give him any space and if I see him about to turn, rush the takedown. Also plan on circling away from his turning side quite a bit.

Any advice from fighters who have knowledge in this area would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance. Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 7:04 PM
ShaqNoob
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Side step and throw a side check kick Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 7:08 PM
Osiris_431
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you tell how he throws it? As in, does he kick backwards like a mule or does he almost make it a turning side kick? Is it used offensively or as a defense? Are you both orthodox or is one of you southpaw and the other orthodox? Does he set up the kick or throw it undisguised? The answer changes depending on your information.

Circling away from the circling side is okay, but then you're circling into his power hand, which is a whole other set of issues.

The short answer is angles. TKD is a pretty linear sport, so if you can frustrate with angles you have a great chance of grounding him. Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 7:20 PM
Ebe5
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Step into it Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 7:42 PM
Tyrone sBong
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Osiris_431 - Can you tell how he throws it? As in, does he kick backwards like a mule or does he almost make it a turning side kick? Is it used offensively or as a defense? Are you both orthodox or is one of you southpaw and the other orthodox? Does he set up the kick or throw it undisguised? The answer changes depending on your information.

Circling away from the circling side is okay, but then you're circling into his power hand, which is a whole other set of issues.

The short answer is angles. TKD is a pretty linear sport, so if you can frustrate with angles you have a great chance of grounding him. Phone Post 3.0
So we are both orthodox and he throws variations of the kick but I feel his most dangerous is almost a spinning side kick. He does throw it pretty quick. I don't think his hands are great, and he leaves his down a fair bit. Thanks for the tips mate have a vu. Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 8:00 PM
Happiness Bunny
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ebe5 - Step into it Phone Post 3.0

People are going to dog ebe5's comment because they have never had a spinning side, back or hook kick thrown at them but he is right. As soon as he starts to spin move closer so he doesn't connect with full power. If he is throwing spinning hook kicks and you step in you will get hit with the soft calf or thigh and have a good chance of knocking him off balance.

Long story short don't give him the distance to execute the "Spinning shit"
1/19/14 8:05 PM
Blazing Knees

Flying egg armbar

1/19/14 8:09 PM
Osiris_431
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tyrone sBong -
Osiris_431 - Can you tell how he throws it? As in, does he kick backwards like a mule or does he almost make it a turning side kick? Is it used offensively or as a defense? Are you both orthodox or is one of you southpaw and the other orthodox? Does he set up the kick or throw it undisguised? The answer changes depending on your information.

So we are both orthodox and he throws variations of the kick but I feel his most dangerous is almost a spinning side kick. He does throw it pretty quick. I don't think his hands are great, and he leaves his down a fair bit. Thanks for the tips mate have a vu. Phone Post 3.0
Okay, so if it's like a spinning side kick you'll need to watch for a little step with his lead leg. He will step and you'll see his body position change because he is stepping his leg in for the turn. That's going to telegraph the spin. Once you see that, you have to be all the way in or all the way out. If he's committed to the spin already, step at an angle to the left and take him down, his back will be exposed.

Also, don't throw lead leg kicks. A right leg spinning back kick is a standard counter to a left leg/body kick. Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 8:17 PM
Shinsplint
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he turns his lead foot inwards be ready. Like the guys said close the distance to stuff the kick. If you step to the opposite side as his lead leg he won't have any heat left on his spinning back/ heel kick. you can counter with an overhand etc. try not to step back to avoid kicks , TKD guys are good at shuffling in with those side kicks to get more distance. Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 8:29 PM
jwistead
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did TKD for a few years, then gradually did more and more muay thai until that's all that was left.

Distance is key for the spinning kicks to work. It's still possible to get nailed if you're in *real close*, but it's much, much more unlikely that it'll be a game-changing blow.

Seriously consider a tight clinching/dirty boxing game. Every TKD-only person I've ever sparred with had absolutely no clue how to deal with that. Just like the old saying with punches to a BJJ'er, knees to the body and leg kicks can destroy the TKD fighter's advantages.

Weather the storm, grind them down. Don't spend too much time outside close punching range (i.e., where their kicks and movement are most effective).

Other thoughts: chase them down and get them moving backwards. It's easier to land the spinning shit from a stationary stance than it is while moving backwards. Stay in their face at all times if you can.
1/19/14 8:43 PM
Pessimist_Pete

Push kick to his back/butt when he spins. Then take his back and take him down Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 8:52 PM
spragatomic
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Punch a fucking hole in his chest! Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 9:16 PM
Tyrone sBong

jwistead - I did TKD for a few years, then gradually did more and more muay thai until that's all that was left.

Distance is key for the spinning kicks to work. It's still possible to get nailed if you're in *real close*, but it's much, much more unlikely that it'll be a game-changing blow.

Seriously consider a tight clinching/dirty boxing game. Every TKD-only person I've ever sparred with had absolutely no clue how to deal with that. Just like the old saying with punches to a BJJ'er, knees to the body and leg kicks can destroy the TKD fighter's advantages.

Weather the storm, grind them down. Don't spend too much time outside close punching range (i.e., where their kicks and movement are most effective).

Other thoughts: chase them down and get them moving backwards. It's easier to land the spinning shit from a stationary stance than it is while moving backwards. Stay in their face at all times if you can.
Thanks man great advice, and thanks everyone for posting.

Ill post up the vid of my victory in a few weeks. Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 9:28 PM
Happiness Bunny
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Affliction Blackbelt - Put him in an 'egg lock'. Move I developed in traneing, basically where you bum rush them, wrap your whole body around them and cling on for dear life hoping it hits the mats.

You did not develop it. The Gracies have been doing that for years.
1/19/14 10:28 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well first off, you shouldn't put your game plan online like that.
1/19/14 10:34 PM
Happiness Bunny

TheBulgarianAssassin - Well first off, you shouldn't put your game plan online like that.

Maybe it's a fake gameplan for his opponent to find and he will do the exact opposite come fight day. What a twist!
1/19/14 10:41 PM
prolurker22
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ebe5 - Step into it Phone Post 3.0
So much this. Phone Post 3.0
1/19/14 10:43 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happiness Bunny - 
TheBulgarianAssassin - Well first off, you shouldn't put your game plan online like that.

Maybe it's a fake gameplan for his opponent to find and he will do the exact opposite come fight day. What a twist!

Perhaps. Also his fighter profile isn't linked to the SN so I think it's okay.

Why no green name OP?
1/19/14 10:48 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/14 3:02 AM
TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
TTT.
1/20/14 2:39 AM
Tyrone sBong

TheBulgarianAssassin -
Happiness Bunny - 

Perhaps. Also his fighter profile isn't linked to the SN so I think it's okay.

Why no green name OP?
Just haven't got round to getting the green name. I plan on going pro after this last amateur fight so I might look into it then. Phone Post 3.0
1/20/14 3:04 AM
TheBulgarianAssassin

^^^ It's not hard. All it takes is sending one email but okay. It's up to you tho.
1/20/14 3:38 AM
UGCTT_Messiah
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drop down for a legbar Phone Post 3.0
1/20/14 3:38 AM
UGCTT_Messiah
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBulgarianAssassin - ^^^ It's not hard. All it takes is sending one email but okay. It's up to you tho.
I sent the email but my name never changed Phone Post 3.0
1/20/14 3:43 AM
TheBulgarianAssassin

UGCTT_Messiah - 
TheBulgarianAssassin - ^^^ It's not hard. All it takes is sending one email but okay. It's up to you tho.
I sent the email but my name never changed Phone Post 3.0

Send it again. Send it to Kirik and every other email address you can find for this site- I think stats@mixedmartialarts.com is the email address I emailed but I am not sure. If no change then make a thread about it and TTT it until it gets changed. It works, believe me. You gotta make it happen if you want it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.