UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hardy: GSP should have handed belt to Hendricks

1/21/14 3:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy recently spoke with Fight Now TV, and said he thinks former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre lost to Johny Hendricks at UFC 167, and should have handed his belt to him.

"I think it left the whole division and the whole situation kind of awkward," says Hardy. as transcribed by MMAFighting. "A lot of people weren't happy with the decision. A lot of people don't feel GSP's in a situation right now where he can just step away from the sport because there are a lot of questions left unanswered.

"The only thing I'm uncomfortable with is the way it was finished, the way it came to an end. I watched the press conference and, for me, the best thing to do would have been for Georges to walk out, hand Johny Hendricks the belt and say, 'I'm done for a while, when I want the belt back I'll come and get it.' Just left it at that."

"If he's taking time to step away from the sport, he needs it. There's a reason for it. We don't really want to see Georges St-Pierre compete at anything other than 100%. He's not the champion if he's not 100%. We need to see him at his best. If there's something outside the sport that's affecting him we're not going to see his best in the sport. If he says it's time to step away then he should.

"I just feel like it would have been the right thing to do for the sport, for his brand, to [say], 'There you go. I don't feel like I earned the belt tonight. I'll come back and get it when I do.' Then if he does come out of retirement and get the belt, imagine how people would view him. Best champion of all time."

1/21/14 3:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brigham
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Dan but this makes zero sense Phone Post
1/21/14 3:49 PM
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah that's great Dan, but that wouldn't have meant shit in the end as the UFC still would have made the fight they made to determine the new champ. Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:04 PM
THE_REAL_AMERICAN
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/21/14 4:06 PM
MAINMAYNARD

Yea I don't think the champ can just crown a new champ Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:10 PM
FEDORallDAY
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So he's saying Hendricks should have been declared world champion having just lost a fight? Okay then. Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:14 PM
TheKidAintMine
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Hardy becomes the WW GOAT and decides to step away from the sport, he can hand that belt over to whoever he wants. Until then, Dan should stop talking and just focus on his own comeback.
1/21/14 4:19 PM
MiloTheDog
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never leave it in the judges hands.
1/21/14 4:22 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THE_REAL_AMERICAN -

LOL Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:22 PM
da Vinci 81
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And then Hendricks should have stood up and handed the belt to koscheck, who then could have stood up and handed the belt to Woodley, who them could have then handed it to Shields.... Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:23 PM
dan0s

Lol of course the bulk of people on this site love gsp more than their families, let the outrage flow due to Dan Hardy giving his opinion. Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:31 PM
jimbonice

Hardy's still relevant? Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:39 PM
R1WARRIOR

1000% agree with Hardy. It would have been a lot better for GSP image, he would have gain a lot of respect for that. And it would have sent a clear message about the judging problem in mma.
1/21/14 4:41 PM
shaqitup
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP didn't think he lost.

It's hard to judge a fight when you're taking part in it, all of your shots are more impressive than his, you can judge how much a shot hurt.

Roy nelson thought he beat werdum, and well he got owned.
1/21/14 4:44 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, cry more.

GSP is way past his prime - half the significant strikes he absorbed in his career came in his last 3 fights (which also happen to his only 3 fights after a devastation knee injury)

Prime GSP would've smashed Hendricks.

Even despite all of that, GSP won 1, 3, and 5 Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:49 PM
BobSalvage
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So let's look at it from every fighters standpoint, every time someone gets a gift decision the first thing out of their mouth should be hey actually you won so you do the post fight interview and here while your at it take my whole win bonus? This is their JOB it's not on their shoulders to say what's fair or unfair, right or wrong, it's their job to train and fight. Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:53 PM
KZTT_W85
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain needs a break, "ill just give the belt to DC, he can be champ" lol Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:55 PM
RangerDanger
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Hardy is going to be invited back to Tri-Star... Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 4:56 PM
Slade Wilson AKA Deathstroke

Hendricks 1 2 4 Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 5:05 PM
Phil999

Herman Munster - 

This is why Dan Hardy was never Champion material.  This is absurd talk and far from exemplies the mindset of the true Champion GSP was.  GSP fought his ass off, and believed he won the fight.  His will was never broken by Johny Hendricks, and he dug deep to win 1 more round than he lost, including the last and most important of the championship rounds. Again, GSP felt he won - as do many others who can add 3 +. 2.  GSP doesn't need to hand over anything because he fought him for 25 minutes and took the best Johny had without handing over anything to Johny in the actual fight.  You do not persevere through the battle GSP managed to, only to hand over the strap you've earned more than any man in UFC WW history, because some simpletons think you lost over having more visible battle wounds.  No true champion would do what Hardy retardedly suggests.  Easy for a non Champion with no brand to talk about what a Champion should do for the better of his "brand".  Pure and utter crap

VU
1/21/14 5:08 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

womp womp womp

1/21/14 5:11 PM
The Don Dada

Herman Munster nailed it. Phone Post
1/21/14 5:19 PM
MasterofMartialArts
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stopped reading at "I believe GSP retained the title, and GSP lost the fight". Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 5:24 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster -

This is why Dan Hardy was never Champion material.  This is absurd talk and far from exemplies the mindset of the true Champion GSP was.  GSP fought his ass off, and believed he won the fight.  His will was never broken by Johny Hendricks, and he dug deep to win 1 more round than he lost, including the last and most important of the championship rounds. Again, GSP felt he won - as do many others who can add 3 +. 2.  GSP doesn't need to hand over anything because he fought him for 25 minutes and took the best Johny had without handing over anything to Johny in the actual fight.  You do not persevere through the battle GSP managed to, only to hand over the strap you've earned more than any man in UFC WW history, because some simpletons think you lost over having more visible battle wounds.  No true champion would do what Hardy retardedly suggests.  Easy for a non Champion with no brand to talk about what a Champion should do for the better of his "brand".  Pure and utter crap

Ba-Boom Phone Post 3.0
1/21/14 5:25 PM
painfulapathy

You're right, instead of giving his opinion he should have said "I'm not the champion or a daft cunt on UG so I'm not qualified to answer that question". Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.