UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: No title shot for Henderson

1/26/14 8:34 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Josh Thomson had been scheduled to fight Anthony Pettis for the lightweight championship at UFC on FOX 9, but Pettis injured his knee. Rather than wait around for Pettis to heal, Thomson took the fight Saturday night with Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 10.

Thomson suffered a broken hand or thumb in the second round, and lost to Henderson, ending his hopes for a title shot any time soon.

However, just because you beat Jesse James by controversial Split Decision, doesn't mean you are Jesse James.

UFC president Dana White was asked post-fight if the win Saturday would earn Henderson a title shot.

"No," said White, as transcribed by MMAFighting. "But, I mean, that was a Ben Henderson fight. When Ben Henderson has the title, or he's trying to get back to the title, that's a Ben Henderson fight. I mean, we've seen that fight a million times.

"It's not about even being more aggressive. He's a talented fighter. He's just one of these guys -- he's a grinder, he's not a finisher."

“Ben Henderson lost twice to Pettis, the champion, and he got destroyed last fight. He didn’t do anything that’s going to have anybody screaming, ‘Oh, I want to see him get another shot at Pettis.’”

There was a lot of uncertainty before Bruce Buffer read off the scores:
“Judge Gabriel Sabaitis scores the bout 48-47, Thomson”
“Judge Brian Puccillo scores the bout 48-47, Henderson”
“And Judge Sal D’Amato scores the bout 49-46, for the winner by Split Decision……….Benson “Smooth” Henderson!”

White conceded that the fight was close, took pointed issue with D’Amato's score.

“That’s insane,” White said of the score. “This is always a problem.

"My thing is, you guys both know you’re fighting for the chance to get a shot at the title, OK? you’re getting a shot at the title. You go. Go, go, go. Go for broke. Don’t ever leave it in the judges’ hands, or at least put on enough of a performance to know you won because you can never trust the judges.”

With the decision, there is no clear #1 contender:
•T.J. Grant is still out as a recovers from a freak concussion suffered during grappling practice;
•Henderson was insufficiently impressive;
•Thomson lost;
•Gilbert Melendez lost a title shot last year and has only a single win since, albeit a thrilling one over Diego Sanchez;
•Donald Cerrone was taken out in under three minutes by Pettis last year;
•Khabib Nurmagomedov does not yet have a win over a top 10 opponent; and,
•Nate Diaz is 1-2 his last three fights, with losses to both Thomson and Henderson.

So who do you think is going to get the next title shot?

1/26/14 8:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poindexter
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 8:36 AM
Kid Chaos
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poindexter - Good. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 8:39 AM
Sequoyah Sandford
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who should fight him? Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 8:40 AM
Se7enout
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank god.
sycotik
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kid Chaos - 
. Phone Post 3.0

crazydave
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

be a man bendo.

1/26/14 8:48 AM
ClemenzasCannoli
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 8:57 AM
EvilMaster

Edited: 01/26/14 9:45 AM
So Josh and Ben fight each other for a shot at the title...The fight happens, Ben wins...And nobody gets a title shot? wtf?

Fighters gotta get what Dana promises them in writing imo. Because in the business world, that's a law suit right there.

I don't really give a shit about seeing Ben vs Pettis again. And sure Ben didn't wow me last night. But...Where I come from, a deal is a deal. And Dana is breaking the deal here. Ben fulfilled his end of the deal, pretty or not, he got the W. So Dana needs to fulfill his end. Whether he likes it or not, that is how business is done. That is how you maintain a proper business reputation.

This is not "on the level" nor is it "square". Bad business imo. Unprofessional.
1/26/14 9:05 AM
Non N00B
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is setting a good precedent though, especially for people that always harp "well boring such n such wins fights".

No love for fighters who are CONTENT riding out a decision every single fight.
1/26/14 9:06 AM
Non N00B
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kid Chaos - 
. Phone Post 3.0

.!
1/26/14 9:07 AM
Al Cappucino
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - So Josh and Ben fight either for a shot at the title...The fight happens, Ben wins...And nobody gets a title shot? wtf?

Fighters gotta get what Dana promises them in writing imo. Because in the business world, that's a law suit right there.

I don't really give a shit about seeing Ben vs Pettis again. And sure Ben didn't wow me last night. But...Where I come from, a deal is a deal. And Dana is breaking the deal here. Ben fulfilled his end of the deal, pretty or not, he got the W. So Dana needs to fulfill his end. Whether he likes it or not, that is how business is done. That is how you maintain a proper business reputation.

This is not "on the level" nor is it "square". Bad business imo. Unprofessional.
So unlike Dana. Phone Post
1/26/14 9:10 AM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I definitely don't want to see this fight again. At least not yet. Maybe have pettis fight aldo if he wins next week like they were supposed to. I know it kind of hangs up the fw division but honestly that is the fight I think most people would like to see. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 9:33 AM
Vindell
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - So Josh and Ben fight either for a shot at the title...The fight happens, Ben wins...And nobody gets a title shot? wtf?

I agree with this.
1/26/14 9:44 AM
ClassicMacGruber

Then stop with your ranking system UFC! Why do you bother? If Benson doesnt get a title shot, then he better fall in your rankings Monday morning. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 9:49 AM
DevilsAdvocate
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate Diaz suddenly looks like the smartest man in the division. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 9:49 AM
Lite
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I agree, I don't think White needs to diss Henderson in the process, though that's his style.
1/26/14 9:51 AM
MisterHawkeMMA

After Aldo beats Llamas, he should move up and fight Pettis. Just don't know if he would want to vacate his title to do it. Pettis is a dangerous man. I'm not ok with fighters holding titles in two divisions though due to injuries.

Also, I'd love to see BJ Penn get replaced on TUF with Chad Mendes, and that be for the vacated title.

BJ Penn, should be fighting Cub Swanson, or Dustin Porier. Maybe both. And then he'd be ready for the Mendes-Edgar winner.

Also, to all the dummies. Dana never said Benson was fighting for a title shot. From the beginning he let it be known that Thomson would get the shot if he won. If a guy puts you on his highlight reel, it makes it really hard to sell a rematch. Vitor headkicked 3 stars into oblivion and only got the shot because Silva lost again.
1/26/14 10:08 AM
StrikingMMA
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - So Josh and Ben fight each other for a shot at the title...The fight happens, Ben wins...And nobody gets a title shot? wtf?

In fairness, Benson didn't really fulfill his end of the deal either by selling the next fight. He didn't show any aggression and try to finish a hurt fighter. He didn't really even try to show dominance. He played the point fighting game.

That's now how you sell fights. Benson has all of the tools to make everyone clamor to see him fight but he doesn't use them.

I don't really blame Dana for not wanting to push him for another title shot. Go out and earn the wow factor from the fans and they will push you into a title fight.
1/26/14 10:29 AM
Archer0545

Henderson wasn't promised a shot if he won. Josh was. Quit whining ffs Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:40 AM
Stouffer20

Archer0545 - Henderson wasn't promised a shot if he won. Josh was. Quit whining ffs Phone Post 3.0
Yea didn't Dana say he was probably going to fight Gil again if he won? Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:42 AM
steveAKAslick
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - So Josh and Ben fight each other for a shot at the title...The fight happens, Ben wins...And nobody gets a title shot? wtf?

Imagine winning a tournament that "guarantees" you getting a title shot and it doesn't happen or for instance you knock out a guy in said tournament and same dude gets in another tournament.... Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:46 AM
ThinkMMA
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To everyone surprised about this info, Dana only said Thompson gets the shot if he wins.

Dana made it clear in this article that Benson got dominated by Pettis and nobody is screaming for a rematch.

I personally want to see new match-ups. I've seen Benson fight and lose to Pettis twice. A 3rd would be redundant at this point.

Benson should try 170 IMHO. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:49 AM
Archer0545

Stouffer20 -
Archer0545 - Henderson wasn't promised a shot if he won. Josh was. Quit whining ffs Phone Post 3.0
Yea didn't Dana say he was probably going to fight Gil again if he won? Phone Post 3.0
Yep Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:52 AM
Delorian
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fight to make is Pettis vs. Melendez. 

Anything else doesn't make any sense.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.