UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How the sport saw Henderson vs. Thomson

1/26/14 9:45 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The main event at UFC on FOX 10 ended in a controversial Split Decision for Benson Henderson. Josh Thomson got a broken hand, his show money, and lost the title shot he had earned vs. Anthony Pettis.

There was a lot of uncertainty before Bruce Buffer read off the scores:
“Judge Gabriel Sabaitis scores the bout 48-47, Thomson”
“Judge Brian Puccillo scores the bout 48-47, Henderson”
“And Judge Sal D’Amato scores the bout 49-46, for the winner by Split Decision……….Benson “Smooth” Henderson!”

That was the beginning of the controversy.

I. HOW THE JUDGES SAW IT

The scores broke down as follows:

Round One
Sal D'Amato - Thomson
Brian Puccillo - Thomson
Gabriel Sabaitis - Thomson

Round Two
Sal D'Amato - Henderson
Brian Puccillo - Thomson
Gabriel Sabaitis - Henderson

Round Three
Sal D'Amato - Henderson
Brian Puccillo - Henderson

Round Four
Sal D'Amato - Henderson
Gabriel Sabaitis - Henderson

Round Five
Sal D'Amato - Henderson

The scores can also be looked at by judge:

Judge Sal D'Amato
Thomson Henderson Henderson Henderson Henderson

Judge Brian Puccillo
Thomson Thomson Henderson Henderson Henderson

Judge Gabriel Sabaitis
Thomson Henderson Thomson Henderson Thomson Henderson

II. HOW FIGHT METRIC SAW IT

Fight Metric broke the fight down using both their own method, and by the 10 Point Must system. Using the round by round scoring mandated by the Unified Rules, Fight Metric scored it for Thomson:

Judge Fight Metric
Thomson Thomson Henderson Thomson Draw.

However, using the Fight Metric Effectiveness Score, they called the fight a draw.

Striking Report

Grappling Report

Decision/TPR

III. HOW THE MMA MEDIA SAW IT

MMADecisions aggregated media scores, and they were overwhelmingly for Thomson.

For Henderson
MMAWeekly.com - 49-46
BleacherReport.com, Craig Amos - 49-46
MMAJunkie.com     49-46

For Thomson
BloodyElbow.com, Mookie Alexander - 47-48
BloodyElbow.comm, T.P. Grant - 47-48
BloodyElbow.com, Tim Burke - 47-48
Fight Network, John Pollock - 47-48
Las Vegas Sun, Paul-Delos Santos - 47-48
MMAFighting.com, Chuck Mindenhall - 47-48
MMAMania.com, Cory Braiterman - 47-48
Sherdog.com, TJ DeSantis - 46-49 
Sherdog.com, Chris Nelson - 46-49
Sherdog.com, Jordan Breen - 46-49 

IV. HOW FIGHTERS SAW IT

Derek Brunson @DerekBrunsonMMA
Dont leave it in the hands of the judges , they will make you cry every time - Burt Watson . This 1 to the judges

TJ Grant @TJ_Grant
Could this be a draw? I gave 1 to Thompson. 2 literally either way. 3 hendo 4 Thompson and 5 neither guy took it

Kelvin Gastelum @KelvinGastelum
Draw?

Brian Stann @BrianStann
Tough fight to score, could see a lot of people arguing after this one

FOR THOMSON

Anthony Pettis @Showtimepettis
I am not impressed....#GSPvoice

AL IAQUINTA @ALIAQUINTA
Bullahit

Cesar Gracie @CesarGracieBJJ
@ufc judges must hate former @Strikeforce champs.

Dan Henderson @danhendo
I gave rounds 1,2 and 4 to Josh.
The judge who had it 4-1 for Bendo needs to be fired.

Felice Herrig @feliceherrig
That decision was bullshit @UFC Thompson won that fight !!!

Ian McCall @Unclecreepymma
Bullshit ... @THEREALPUNK won that fight

Ivan Menjivar ufc @Ivanmenjivar
i say Thomson by unanimous decision

Jamie Varner  @jamievarner
I'm just gonna assume if I don't finish my fights from now on, I'm gonna lose. Great fight tonight @BensonHenderson @THEREALPUNK

jimi manuwa @POSTERBOYJM
Whattttt!!!!

khabib nurmagomedov @TeamKhabib
48-47 Josh

Patrick Healy @BamBamHealy
Judges can be a real bummer. @THEREALPUNK was robbed. Still deserves a title shot.

'Rowdy' Bec Rawlings @RowdyBec
BULLSHIIIIIIIT!!!

Roy Nelson @roynelsonmma
Congrats to Josh he won but Henderson won the judges

Tim Kennedy @TimKennedyMMA
MMA judges SUCK BALLS!!!!!!

FOR HENDERSON

Sarah Kaufman @mmasarah
I have Henderson taking rd 5 by a small margin and taking the fight 49-46. There were some close rds though so I could be of

Tim Welch @TimwelchMT
Punk won most of the positions but did zero damage , Benson was damaging him the whole time , good decision

And the last word here goes to Benson Henderson, who got the win.

Benson Henderson @BensonHenderson
•Hats off to @TheRealPunk, WE who lay it on the line know the ups n downs that come w/the job, you're a stud, mad respect...
•I love you @ufc fans, you make this tough job worth it, a lot of other things I could do to pay my bills but wouldn't be as fun!!!

V. HOW BENSON HENDERSON SAW IT

“I felt I definitely did enough to deserve to get my hand raised and get the W," said Henderson. “Getting a W inside the UFC, let me see how you do it, and how you take it. I like Ws. I like getting my hand raised. I’ll take it any way I can get it - you slip on a banana peel, by the skin of my teeth, by any means.

VI. HOW JOSH THOMSON SAW IT

Thomson was so dissapointed, he is considering retirement.

“This might be it, man,” said Thomson at the post-fight press conference, as transcribed by MMAWeekly. “You train this hard for this long. I just see my title shots [expletive] disappearing.”

“I've had this all in my head. A 15-, 16-week camp will do that to you. I'm no spring chicken, so you start thinking about it. Two practices a day for six days a week, 16 weeks; that's an NFL season. I get hit more than guys in the NFL and they get paid way more.

“Everybody needs to know [when] their time has come. Maybe it's not mine right now, but I also don't want to be that person that fights not knowing when it's time to quit.”

“I beat the former UFC champion. The guy was here for two years, and I beat him with one hand. That's what I can't stomach. I'm a better fighter. That's what pisses me off.”

“Realistically, I'm just going to go home, have a talk with my family and talk with my coaches, and I'm probably going to sit down with Dana and see which direction we want to go. That's really what it comes down to is just getting the whole team together, seeing what the plans are for me.”

VII. HOW DID YOU SEE IT?

Last words go to the UG. Who do you think won the fight, why, and who do you think hurt who most?

1/26/14 9:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wasn't scoring the fight, at the end I was expecting a very close decision. I guess I was kind of thinking that Josh may have actually still won, even though he lost one hand early in the fight.

But I was not shocked or surprised when Benson won. That one Judge was either incompetent or corrupt though.
1/26/14 9:58 AM
ShowtimeKnee

Saw Thomson winning rounds 1,2,4 i also thought 5 was very close but Benson edged it out. Josh proved once again that he is super tough and gritty even with his broken hand/thumb. Overall awesome performance to out-wrestle and out-grapple Benson.
1/26/14 10:00 AM
alkysmurf
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with both posts. No robbery but the one judge that scored it 4-1 for Benson is disgusting display of what's wrong in our sport. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:24 AM
Jiu Jitsu Panda
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gave it to Thomson, He did a great job even with the hand injury.
1/26/14 10:27 AM
Jeon Sa
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit no one to fight Showtime? I never thought the UFC would be in this spot a year ago... Not in this division anyway! Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:38 AM
Stouffer20

PhuckfaceMcGee - People can split hairs over 48-47 Henderson or 48-47 Thomson. I probably saw it 48-47 Henderson but was going for Thompson. His grappling was a little affected with the damaged hand and he didn't look as dynamic - he fought amazing given the situation though. I didn't think he clearly beat Henderson to move "up the division".

The judge who scored it 49-46 is a moron. Phone Post 3.0
Very well put Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 10:48 AM
caposa
1769 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

49-47 Josh Thomson with a 10-10 first round. 

1/26/14 11:15 AM
soldave
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Casually watching as a fan I think I had it

Henderson 2,3,5

Thompson 1,4

2 was the really close swing round for me. I could see either guy winning it, parts of it really do come down to opinion. This is just watching a fight with a cup of tea though with all sorts of distractions, very different to judging it properly at ringside.

Going to have a rewatch later and actually judge it. At the time though I remember thinking that Thompson should back up less as although he wasnt always getting hit , it looked bad. Also could have struck in the grappling positions a bit more rather than fishing for the subs. Might have swayed the judges in his favour

1/26/14 11:58 AM
rrg1

Benson won a somewhat close fight.

There is nothing here.

1/26/14 12:06 PM
mixjitsu

If Benson controlled Thompson like Thomson did him they would've gave him every round... the judges gave Benson to much credit for being a former champ ...the way Thompson lost is the way Benson always wins I don't get it Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 12:20 PM
orcus

Josh has a problem with being too low output. I think he showed himself the better fighter than Henderson and Melendez, but he let them outwork him.
1/26/14 12:34 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

Hate when people call close decisions robberies. Round one was the only clear round. And it's Punk's fault for being on cruise control round five. If he'd of went balls to the wall that last round like all fighters should in close fights, he'd of won the fight. No one to blame but himself.
1/26/14 12:39 PM
rkm456
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So let me get this straight. Sal D'Amato gives GSP rounds 1 and 5 over Hendricks, and "He must be right, he's a long time, respected judge" He goes 49-46 Henderson (who is clearly not a fan favourite) and "He needs to be fired"?

Just shows how mma fans watch their fighters, and not the fights
1/26/14 12:42 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight

Edited: 01/27/14 7:16 AM

48-47 Thomson.

1/26/14 12:44 PM
mixjitsu

KingofBJJ -
mixjitsu - If Benson controlled Thompson like Thomson did him they would've gave him every round... the judges gave Benson to much credit for being a former champ ...the way Thompson lost is the way Benson always wins I don't get it Phone Post 3.0

That's not how I saw it. Josh had Bendo's back nearly every round but couldn't do anything with it. In fact, Bendo never looked worried and at one point managed to fix his hair with Josh on his back.

Bendo took the fight to him and had Josh is some very tough submission locks.

Bendo won because he took the fight to him. Josh lost because he could not remotely get the former champ in any serious trouble when he had his back.
I forgot how much Benson hurt him Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 12:47 PM
VinegarStrokes
468 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh didn't do anything after he hurt his hand but grapple fuck and hold on to position. Ben landed way more strikes and did way more work both standing and on the ground. How the one judge gave Josh round 3 is beyond me that was the most clear cut round for Ben to me.

Getting takedowns and holding position to win has pissed off the UG for years yet when it doesn't work because a guy gets outworked at everything else the UG bitches. I don't get this place.

1/26/14 12:51 PM
Anthomis

Sig strikes : Henderson 46 of 91 - Josh 19 of 58
Total Strikes :  Henderson 114 of 166 - Josh 33 of 75
TD :  Henderson 4 of 4 - Josh 4 of 11

nuff said
1/26/14 12:55 PM
ender852
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2,3.5 bendo

1/26/14 1:09 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight

VinegarStrokes - 

Josh didn't do anything after he hurt his hand but grapple fuck and hold on to position. Ben landed way more strikes and did way more work both standing and on the ground. How the one judge gave Josh round 3 is beyond me that was the most clear cut round for Ben to me.

Getting takedowns and holding position to win has pissed off the UG for years yet when it doesn't work because a guy gets outworked at everything else the UG bitches. I don't get this place.

Look at the Score Cards. No Judge gave Thomson that Round.

1/26/14 1:47 PM
Bawls
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was rooting for Josh, thought Benson won.. Josh had some nice takedowns, but didn't do enough damage and couldn't sink in the RNC..

Kind of felt like we didn't see the full fight.. It was ok. Phone Post 3.0
1/26/14 2:15 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

Jeon Sa - Shit no one to fight Showtime? I never thought the UFC would be in this spot a year ago... Not in this division anyway! Phone Post 3.0
Gil Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 9:44 AM
TwentyNineTwentyEight

Edited: 01/28/14 9:59 AM

I was there live and scored it 48-47 Thomson. After all the dispute I watched again last night and am confident I scored it correctly.

1/28/14 9:55 AM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

caposa -

Wait... I would've considered the first round the most clear round for Thompson. I'll have to watch it again I guess. Only watched it once. Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 10:29 AM
TwentyNineTwentyEight

Pitbull3744 - 
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal - 
caposa -

Wait... I would've considered the first round the most clear round for Thompson. I'll have to watch it again I guess. Only watched it once. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah the first round was Josh's clear cut winning round.  

It was the easiest Round to score for me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.