UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Leben: I spent most of money on illegal drugs

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/27/14 10:47 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Chris Leben's struggle with drug abuse has been somewhat well documented, but after his recent retirement he spoke more in depth on the subject. Here is a snippet from a recent interview with Frank Trigg:

“It really is better now. The bottom line is, especially with all the illegal drugs, I was spending all the money I was making anyways. Six in one, half dozen in the other. I used to fight, the way I fought, I didn’t give a shit. ‘Fuck this, I could die tomorrow, let’s go out there and I’m gonna fucking kill this guy!’ That fire, I’d be lying if I said that fire was still in me these past couple fights. It hasn’t been. I hate to admit it, but shit’s going okay at home. My life’s alright. I’m a lot more of a mellow guy. Just getting older I guess. I don’t even know. I don’t know how to explain it.”

read entire article...

1/27/14 10:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
California
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

which illegal drugs? some are a lot softer than others.
1/27/14 10:59 PM
TDogg926
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he keeps on the up and up. He always put on a great show. Phone Post 3.0
1/27/14 11:02 PM
CaptainAhab
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

California - which illegal drugs? some are a lot softer than others.

I think Leben was mostly into pills.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mma/2012/12/28/ufc-stands-by-leben-through-thick-and-thin/1795371/
1/27/14 11:19 PM
jonnierockets20
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good luck Leben and thanks for the years
1/27/14 11:24 PM
KrisP_82
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR LEBEN! You've always been one of my favorite fighters, best wishes to you and your family. You look like you're a lot happier :) Phone Post
1/27/14 11:26 PM
California

yeah... best wishes to you, Mr. Leben. good luck and thanks for the memories...

1/27/14 11:27 PM
Mack Diesel

Good choice. Phone Post 3.0
1/27/14 11:27 PM
austinblair

Likely oxycontin. Its real expensive..
most pills are a few bucks each. You don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on zanax bars..

Or Coke.
Who knows.
1/27/14 11:29 PM
vandelay
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always admired the way he fought, if leben was fighting I always made sure I tuned in. Wish him a happy retirement Phone Post 3.0
1/27/14 11:31 PM
austinblair

Ahh yeah the suboxone exemption. Forgot about that.
that stuff is very strong. Its to help people come off heroin and strong opiates.
Couldve been a heroin addiction. I just don't see all that money going to pain pills.
1/27/14 11:36 PM
staygreenponyboy
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last of the first - first of the next.

War Catsmasher
1/27/14 11:38 PM
T-Ham
367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My oldest brother has destroyed his life because he seems to like pills more than anything.

Hope Leben shakes the addiction for good because its a paper wall between him and that devil. Phone Post 3.0
1/27/14 11:41 PM
Wriggling Grunion

Joshua King - He was the first and only guy in the UFC with a tue for suboxone. Next gen methadone clinics.

He has been popped for oxycodone and oxymorphone as well with whatever he got popped for after the bisping fight.

Once he got that TUE for subs, I didn't see him lasting much longer but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if and when he gets absolutely clean (aside from THC) he'll have that fire again. Phone Post 3.0

Suboxone totally kills people's motivation. They aren't themselves while prescribed it. I too believe that the stuff is the real reason he seems to have "lost the fire".

1/28/14 12:09 AM
tech696
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im only very low dose of sub, 1mg day and I don't see the lack of motivation . Finding it very hard to drop of completely from it though. I agree its very strong stuff Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 12:26 AM
soundsdistilled
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pills are tough to get away from, and I could see him EASILY spending all his money on them. They are expensive.
1/28/14 12:27 AM
JToller
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man I've always been a huge fan of Chris. I hope everything works out for him. Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 1:09 AM
sparkuri
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

austinblair - Likely oxycontin. Its real expensive..
most pills are a few bucks each. You don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on zanax bars..

Or Coke.
Who knows.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Maybe over the course of his entire career, which of course you can spend it like that.

I doubt Leben has ever held $100,000 in his hand, ever.
1/28/14 1:19 AM
GladiatorGannon
435 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

austinblair - Ahh yeah the suboxone exemption. Forgot about that.
that stuff is very strong. Its to help people come off heroin and strong opiates.
Couldve been a heroin addiction. I just don't see all that money going to pain pills.

You realize people put $500 a DAY into pain pill habits sometimes right? This habit doesn't take days off, thats 180k a year right there.

"Couldve been a heroin addiction"

You do realize that pain pillers switch to heroin when they cant afford the pain pills anymore and need a cheaper opiate?
1/28/14 1:24 AM
dhughes
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure how suboxone came into this conversation, I've not followed Leben's stories so pardon me if I missed it.

But, I will offer a bit of personal experience as others have done as well...suboxone can be a life saver and getting off of it is way easier than other opiates. Of course everyone is different and YMMV but the big difference is that you get *no high* from suboxone and as a result the mental aspects disappear much quicker. You can very easily forget to take your suboxone for a day or two but you would *never ever* forget to take your oxys, heroin, methadone, or whatever else.

It has helped a ton of people and is a much more realistic option for certain people than "cold turkey." A short suboxone taper can work very well.

Opiate addiction is an epidemic and it affects every sector of the population from rich to poor, young to old. The sooner the stigma dies the better. Unfortunately, there are a lot of doctors quick to prescribe pain meds without properly educating their patients on the consequences.

Just my .02
1/28/14 1:25 AM
TheWolf88
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wriggling Grunion -
Joshua King - He was the first and only guy in the UFC with a tue for suboxone. Next gen methadone clinics.

He has been popped for oxycodone and oxymorphone as well with whatever he got popped for after the bisping fight.

Once he got that TUE for subs, I didn't see him lasting much longer but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if and when he gets absolutely clean (aside from THC) he'll have that fire again. Phone Post 3.0

Suboxone totally kills people's motivation. They aren't themselves while prescribed it. I too believe that the stuff is the real reason he seems to have "lost the fire".

I agree I'm almost off it and have been for 2 years about, very negative but now I'm almost off I feel like I used to Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 2:31 AM
GelderdEnd

"I hate to admit it, but things are going okay at home"

I'm confused........ Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 4:49 AM
Bootsy Collins
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GelderdEnd - "I hate to admit it, but things are going okay at home"

I'm confused........ Phone Post 3.0

He can't except his domestic lifestyle
1/28/14 6:36 AM
NYHC
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Logic MMA - Yeah, yeah, everyone's physiology isn't the same blah blah.
That doesn't change the fact that while subs has some opiod effects it is a partial-agonist, which literally means it is not going to give a user the euphoric high a full-agonist would. I'm not saying you won't feel anything off of it if you're opiate naive, as I'm sure it would fuck you up if you're not used to taking full-agonists.
But as dhughes mentioned above, for those who are taking it for its prescribed use, it does not produce a high. It removes withdrawal symptoms so you can function.
Next, back to the withdrawal shit.
Comparing IV heroin/oxymorphone/hydromorphone withdrawal to sublingual suboxone withdrawal is just childish. To say it's 10x worse is just retarded.
Sorry bro, those aren't opinions. It's science bitch.

But if you had terrible withdraws from subs, i'll take your word for it. What was it like for you? How long did it last?

i dont even know why im responging to this, but have you ever been on subs?? saying there not strong is just plain retarded. and if someone jumped off a fairly high sub habit cold turkey not only are the withdrawels bad but they last WAY WAY WAY longer than other opiates. where are you getting your information from?
1/28/14 7:42 AM
shaqitup

Wish him the best, with his martial arts school, his family, and with getting clean.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.