UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mir not even considering retirement

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/28/14 2:12 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Frank Mir is only thirty four years old, but riding a three fight losing streak into UFC 169, many have speculated that should he not win maybe retirement could be next.

Mir, however, believes that retirement is not in his immediate future, win or lose at UFC 169:

"I kind of know no matter what it's not going to be my last fight," Mir told ESPN.com. "I'm still younger than a lot of the guys in the division. 

"There are two ways I would consider retirement. One is losing to guys who are not top-level competition. The other is if I started losing where it's like, 'OK man, you were knocked out viciously and staring at the rafters.' I won't endanger my health." 

Mir is steadfast in his belief that neither of those scenarios is currently playing out. He still shakes his head at referee Rob Hinds' decision to stop his most recent bout against Josh Barnett in the first round at UFC 164 after he absorbed a knee along the fence. 

The other two losses -- to Daniel Cormier and Junior dos Santos -- were disappointing for Mir, but not inexcusable. And in no way evidence that his career is over. 

"I'm sorry if those three losses aren't killing my ego," Mir said. "Let's see, the losing streak started with Junior dos Santos, the No. 1 heavyweight in the world at the time. Then I lost to Cormier in a pretty boring fight and then to Barnett, which to me was a no-contest because the fight had a very controversial stoppage. 

read entire article...

1/28/14 2:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DeaconDoctor
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And he shouldn't. No shame in losing to Top 5 guys. Hate seeing top guys in this position.
1/28/14 3:01 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's good. Need Murr around for when Brock comes back. Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 3:04 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to hear. I still think he pulls a miracle out of his ass and submits Alistair. Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 3:06 PM
Pat Giles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as I don't want to root against either of these guys as they still have some fights I want to see, I gotta go with reem. Mir doesn't have the striking to test his chin, nor the wrestling to take reem down at will. Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 3:08 PM
mixedmartialfarts
865 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like his attitude... there's no shame in being on a losing streak when you're constantly fighting dudes at the top of the food chain.

1/28/14 3:09 PM
badrun
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir does NOT need to retire. What he does NEED to do is focus on his strategy and fight IQ a bit more. Specifically in the area of clinch work (especially against the cage). Carwin, Cormier, and Barnett were all able to capitalize on this weakness and use the clinch against the cage to beat him (Carwin and Barnett in devastating fashion). Also, Mir sometimes takes shots without regard to their severity and does not improve position (see fights with Freeman, Lesnar, and Carwin) and before you know it, either he has eaten too many shots and the cumulative damage puts him down, or the opponent gets the one clear shot they need to put his lights out.
1/28/14 3:10 PM
rnunz
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good. :)

1/28/14 3:13 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That stoppage was perfectly fine. It was only "Controversial" to Mir. Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 4:18 PM
teamquestnorth
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ref stopping the fight when a fighter goes limp is not controversial. Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 3:32 AM
PermitMeFisticuffsBrother
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

think this one ends the same way as Mir - Nog 2

Mir goes into zombie mode, flops to the floor

grabs an arm

rips it off

wakes up
1/29/14 3:43 AM
Bootsy Collins
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he sends Reem packing
1/29/14 4:05 AM
Rhythmprince
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't need to consider it, just change his game plan to suit his aging chin. Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 5:50 AM
Wisco Thai
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Mir! Hoping for a miracle against Overeem
1/29/14 7:25 AM
Arlovskis Chin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's wrong with his chin? Having JDS landing bombs will do that to you, ask anyone in the division not named roy nelson. Barnett hit him flush with a knee and mir recovered within 2 seconds (admittedly after being flash out). Cut the guy some slack. He's not getting KO'd by Cody Mckenzie is he.

Even if he gets Ko'd in this fight it says nothing about his chin. It's overeem ffs. Hits hard enough to fuck up a grate trane. Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 8:56 AM
myee8

He might if Overeem knees him into next week like he did to Texiera in K1... Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 9:13 AM
Bootsy Collins
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

myee8 - He might if Overeem knees him into next week like he did to Texiera in K1... Phone Post 3.0

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1416651/Alistair_Overeem_vs_vs_Ewerton_Teixeira.gif

Tex was clearly just trying to read the sponsor logo on the mat
1/29/14 9:55 AM
Jeon Sa
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir will be one of these guys who sticks around too long. Which is a shame because he is a really intelligent guy. Don't get me wrong I love watching him fight but he's a two time champion who made lots of money. He's not in the title picture so why stick around? Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 9:57 AM
Jeon Sa
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRE - When he gets beat up the way his hair moves makes it look much more brutal, it's misleading, he actually hasn't taken that much punishment.
He looked like Frankenstein after his beating by Brock. Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 10:08 AM
myee8

Bootsy Collins - 
myee8 - He might if Overeem knees him into next week like he did to Texiera in K1... Phone Post 3.0

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1416651/Alistair_Overeem_vs_vs_Ewerton_Teixeira.gif

Tex was clearly just trying to read the sponsor logo on the mat

Hmmm perhaps...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.