UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC Network in Latin America

1/28/14 11:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SlickRick01
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take it with a grain of salt but I know there are some here interested in the business side of the sport. A television industry person mentioned to me today that she had heard approximately 100,000 initial subscribers to the UFC Network. She was unsure of the price point but believe it to be $10 - $15 monthly. This could give some insights to the initial value of the deal with Televisa. For what it's worth, this source indicated that the Televisa folks believe this will grow greatly by the end of the first year of existence of the network. Combate Sports in Brazil, for instance, has approximately 350,000 subscribers at any given time at the price of $20 per month. Because of the UFC Network's reach into multiple Latin American countries, it will be interesting to see what the subscriber base is in, say, three years.
1/29/14 1:49 AM
caelrad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Decent numbers. Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 2:01 AM
BOLIVIANonepuchKO
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its 10 dolares in Bolivia..you get every card plus undercards,..plus 24 hours.of fights ,tuf etc...its sick and in hd Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 3:03 AM
MMALOGIC

it's going to be very successful... this telavisa deal was actually the catalyst for such an abrupt expansion of live UFC events... you need a ton of live content to support a 24 hour network.  The globo deal in brazil will likely resemble this telavisa deal when it's time to renegotiate it.

1/29/14 6:35 AM
SlickRick01
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

it's going to be very successful... this telavisa deal was actually the catalyst for such an abrupt expansion of live UFC events... you need a ton of live content to support a 24 hour network.  The globo deal in brazil will likely resemble this telavisa deal when it's time to renegotiate it.

Good points. Does anyone have any info on the dollars involved in this deal? I've heard that the Globo deal was approximately $60 million per year but I've not heard any rumors regarding wthat BT Sport and Televisa deals are worth. Also, supposedly they'll start with at least 100,000 on FightPass come March 1st. The rumor is that they have approximately 150,000 now while it's free and the U.K. And several other countries have access to it in just over a month.
1/29/14 8:22 AM
SlickRick01

The only rumor I've heard regarding the BT Sports deal was $10 million - $15 million per year. That number did not come from what I consider a very authoritative source, though, so who knows?
1/29/14 9:27 AM
funk samurai

Whoever doesn't sign up to the UFC network is crazy!
1/29/14 10:59 AM
SlickRick01

funk samurai - Whoever doesn't sign up to the UFC network is crazy!

They definitely could not have picked better partners in Latin America than Groupo Televisa.
1/29/14 4:16 PM
SlickRick01

Calbe/satellite subscription channels are growing very quickly in Mexico and some of Latin America.
1/29/14 5:15 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 01/29/14 5:33 PM
SlickRick01 - 
MMALOGIC - 

Good points. Does anyone have any info on the dollars involved in this deal? I've heard that the Globo deal was approximately $60 million per year but I've not heard any rumors regarding wthat BT Sport and Televisa deals are worth. Also, supposedly they'll start with at least 100,000 on FightPass come March 1st. The rumor is that they have approximately 150,000 now while it's free and the U.K. And several other countries have access to it in just over a month.

The telavisa deal is a joint venture so Zuffa has actual ownership in the network... Which means 400k subscribers with the telavisa deal is worth more than 400k subscribers in the Globo deal.  I expect the Globo deal to look more like the telavisa deal when it comes time to renegotiate... infact i expect a telavisa type joint venture being the model for the future.

whether it's an ala carte 24 hour UFC subscription network at 14.95 or a "free" 24 hour UFC network part of a cable bundle.

I believe BT sport is around 16m (not including the european and asian fight nights zuffa is hoping to sell BT).  UK is also a market Zuffa wants a joint venture in launching a 24 hour network. so is Russia, etc...

The success of the Globo deal was the impetus for the telavisa deal... the success of the telavisa deal will be the impetus for the future (final product): Zuffa rolling out a 24 hour network with partners like sky in uk, globo in brazil, foxtel in australia, Russia, Rogers in Canada, and maybe even fox in the USA, etc...

Fightpass will have over 140k paid subscribers and that's all Zuffa needs for the near term.

1/30/14 12:59 PM
SlickRick01

MMALOGIC - 
SlickRick01 - 
MMALOGIC - 

The telavisa deal is a joint venture so Zuffa has actual ownership in the network... Which means 400k subscribers with the telavisa deal is worth more than 400k subscribers in the Globo deal.  I expect the Globo deal to look more like the telavisa deal when it comes time to renegotiate... infact i expect a telavisa type joint venture being the model for the future.

whether it's an ala carte 24 hour UFC subscription network at 14.95 or a "free" 24 hour UFC network part of a cable bundle.

I believe BT sport is around 16m (not including the european and asian fight nights zuffa is hoping to sell BT).  UK is also a market Zuffa wants a joint venture in launching a 24 hour network. so is Russia, etc...

The success of the Globo deal was the impetus for the telavisa deal... the success of the telavisa deal will be the impetus for the future (final product): Zuffa rolling out a 24 hour network with partners like sky in uk, globo in brazil, foxtel in australia, Russia, Rogers in Canada, and maybe even fox in the USA, etc...

Fightpass will have over 140k paid subscribers and that's all Zuffa needs for the near term.

Thanks for the info! $16 million per year is great with BT Sport. Having them in the market there as a competitor to Sky plays in favor of Zuffa. They have a willing partner in BT and, although Sky Sports may or may not have any interest, Sky might make an offer solely to keep BT Sports from having that fanbase (UFC programming routinely shows in the top 10 ratings for the channel).
1/31/14 10:05 AM
SlickRick01

With just 140,000 subscribers they'd gross $16.8 million per year from just Fight Pass alone.
1/31/14 11:13 AM
Lobo8

Edited: 01/31/14 11:14 AM
Definetly expected the ufc network in latin america to suceed. Latinos, especially mexicans love fighting a whole lot. Its crazy that its taking this long to get into to mexico. This sport is guaranteed to be huge for mexico.
1/31/14 4:43 PM
SlickRick01

It will be interesting to see who their new broadcast partner in the Middle East is now that their contract with OSR is done. Supposedly they were able to secure a much better deal this time around.
1/31/14 4:48 PM
MMALOGIC

SlickRick01 - It will be interesting to see who their new broadcast partner in the Middle East is now that their contract with OSR is done. Supposedly they were able to secure a much better deal this time around.

Zuffa just signed 3 year deal with Abu Dhabi Media which covers the entire middle east and north africa.

1/31/14 4:57 PM
MMALOGIC

SlickRick01 - With just 140,000 subscribers they'd gross $16.8 million per year from just Fight Pass alone.

more than that because every ppv purchased through fightpass instead of through cable or satelite means zuffa makes nearly twice the amount of revenue.  each ppv buy through fightpass is like 2 "normal" buys through cable or satelite.

if Zuffa can get 100k buys through fight pass that's like 200k "normal" buys which is around the ppv baseline.

Now what happens if Zuffa places a Jon Jones type of fight exclusively on fightpass where you get it for free as long as you're a subcriber?  if zuffa gives a way ppv quality card on fight pass which would normally pull 400k buys at 50 bucks can it  increase subscribers to 400k at 10 bucks a month?

What if Zuffa places an Anderson vs Weidman type of card exclusively on fightpass?  ZUffa could get up to a million or more subscribers eventually.  With a million or more subscribers... or even at 400k subscribers fight pass will effectively become the largest UFC ppv distributor in the world surpassing time warner, dish, direct tv, etc...

2/3/14 4:17 PM
SlickRick01

MMALOGIC - 
SlickRick01 - It will be interesting to see who their new broadcast partner in the Middle East is now that their contract with OSR is done. Supposedly they were able to secure a much better deal this time around.

Zuffa just signed 3 year deal with Abu Dhabi Media which covers the entire middle east and north africa.

That will be a great media partner for them. I wonder what the deal is worth financially. Sheikh Tahnoon has quietly been a great resource for Zuffa to be able to make many of the media contacts that they've made in recent years. He opens doors.
2/3/14 5:22 PM
SlickRick01

MMALogic, hearing anything about Zuffa's deal with WOWOW? I think it expires this year. That is a TOUGH market to land a viable deal in. China was much more open to a deal.
2/3/14 8:18 PM
SlickRick01

Sounds like the deal with WOWOW in Japan does expire this year.
2/4/14 5:59 AM
SlickRick01

TTT
2/4/14 6:05 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 02/04/14 6:05 AM
SlickRick01 - MMALogic, hearing anything about Zuffa's deal with WOWOW? I think it expires this year. That is a TOUGH market to land a viable deal in. China was much more open to a deal.

Zuffa is shopping Tuf Japan vs S.Korea so we'll see.

2/4/14 6:06 AM
1oldfart

just now srarting to see the kids down here wearing tapout shirts. medellin colombia
its prime for someone who wants to get into the mma business (apparel, events, gym, etc) at the ground floor
2/4/14 8:22 AM
SlickRick01

MMALOGIC - 
SlickRick01 - MMALogic, hearing anything about Zuffa's deal with WOWOW? I think it expires this year. That is a TOUGH market to land a viable deal in. China was much more open to a deal.

Zuffa is shopping Tuf Japan vs S.Korea so we'll see.

Thanks! That will be a tough market to find a favorable deal in but if anyone can it's Mark Fischer. Reps from Tokai Cable were at their event in Japan last year and seemed to have interest.
2/4/14 10:35 AM
SlickRick01

1oldfart - just now srarting to see the kids down here wearing tapout shirts. medellin colombia
its prime for someone who wants to get into the mma business (apparel, events, gym, etc) at the ground floor

Awareness for the sport is definitely growing in that region. It was basically nonexistent throughout the history of the sport until recently.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.