UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Helwani's fall from UFC/Fox 1 grace

2/2/14 2:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stainlesssteel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not much talk of the most obvious non fighter absence from the card tonight. Ariel Helwani was nowhere to be found. No short fighter interview. No inside update from the fighter dressing room. No esoteric nuggets during the pre fight show.

The girl who apparently took his job did pretty well in my opinion. She might be no hard hitting MMA journalist, but she conducted herself well and came across to me, like she knew what she was doing and looked comfortable.

This is a bad blow for Helwani. The UFC obviously laid down the pimp hand and effectively has reduced Helwani to now just a side player. Obviously he can stil interview fighters and do his show, but lets be real, the reason he became Ariel Helwani was primarily due to the golden access he enjoyed. Without that access, without that platform, he is now just another hustler in the rat race. In other words, his brand has been damaged. Perhaps irretrievably.

On his show last week, Helwani stated that some people were prematurely dancing on his grave and that the same jobs he had on December 31st, were the same jobs he still held.

Obviously that was not true, as his absence from the Fox1 card tonight showed.

I feel for the guy, who always struck me as someone extremely passionate about his love for MMA and his role as seeker of truth.

Perhaps in the end, it just was not possible to be both a Fox 1 employee and an independent journalist.

2/2/14 2:07 AM
da Vinci 81
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure he was just at the post fight presser asking questions.
2/2/14 2:08 AM
zackthewop
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - Pretty sure he was just at the post fight presser asking questions.
He has credentials still so he can ask questions but it's not the same as doing interviews for the broadcasts. Phone Post 3.0
2/2/14 2:10 AM
Tom O'Bedlam

People like him get slapped where I come from.

2/2/14 2:11 AM
Madmuzzy

Dudes still like 4 time MMA journalist of the year, so he's got that going for him!
2/2/14 2:12 AM
InsatiableKauf

Its better this way, as a journalist Helwani shouldn't be working so closely with the UFC anyways.
2/2/14 2:26 AM
Brian J DSouza

Good questions. I doubt we'll get anymore info as long as there's a chance for Helwani to return to the UFC/FOX's good graces.

Unfortunately, the longer time passes, people will just forget about Helwani and the politics behind the scenes.

2/2/14 2:35 AM
The Fella
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Time for Helwani to Retire - he's past his prime and has been defeated by the new breed  of reporters like  Karyn Bryant or Kevin Iole.

These new reporters are just more well rounded - are good no matter where the interview goes! They can keep it cordial or down right nasty - as Areil was simply one dimensional with his weak trolling.

Helwani just didnt train hard enough - he kept to his same looping questions and easy to predict set-up.  These reporters in todays age bring a high intensity that keeps the viewers mesmorized!

He had his time - but the game's past him up, maybe Areil should start looking for a little "help" if you know what I mean .....maybe a little Horse meat ....or a Megaphone.

Time will tell - but i think he's done.

2/2/14 2:44 AM
crazydave
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/2/14 2:49 AM
JustPeed
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So did we ever get the official story of what all went down? Basically he still has UFC tonight which is UFC operated but is off the fox ran pre and post shows, which are a bigger deal.

Biggest difference is $$$ that fox money was a lot more than he gets for ufc tonight and mma fighting.

He still obviously is credentialed as a reporter so he will be back candide during the events rather than backstage.

To be honest id rather be on my laptop cageside than backstage keeping one eye watching the fights on a monitor while interviewing the fighter from the last fight. But like i.said he just lost out on a lot of $$$ from fox Phone Post 3.0
2/2/14 2:51 AM
da Vinci 81
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ariel works too hard to create "angles" and drama between the fighter. He's stuck in his belief that the sport needs to be modeled after pro wrestling story lines to build up the interest. It's fine when there's some legitimate back story but too often I find he tries to create something out of nothing just for his own satisfaction.
2/2/14 2:54 AM
da Vinci 81

JustPeed - So did we ever get the official story of what all went down? Basically he still has UFC tonight which is UFC operated but is off the fox ran pre and post shows, which are a bigger deal.

Biggest difference is $$$ that fox money was a lot more than he gets for ufc tonight and mma fighting.

He still obviously is credentialed as a reporter so he will be back candide during the events rather than backstage.

To be honest id rather be on my laptop cageside than backstage keeping one eye watching the fights on a monitor while interviewing the fighter from the last fight. But like i.said he just lost out on a lot of $$$ from fox Phone Post 3.0

I believe it stemmed from some media day he covered for Bellator. Probably didn't sit well with the fox brass or the ufc.
2/2/14 2:58 AM
JimmersonzGlove
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peace Phone Post 3.0
2/2/14 3:03 AM
The Fella
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bottom line for Ariel is this, he needs to change his style and cater to the audiance!

I'm not gonna brag - but I'm a bit of a stylist! ...this is what I recommend Ariel "The Mouth" Helwani

2/2/14 3:06 AM
Phisher

2/2/14 3:14 AM
The Fella

2/2/14 3:39 AM
The Brotorious B.I.G

I feel for the guy.

He may have been an instigator but he loves the sport just as much as we do, and most likely lost his dream job.

Very suck
Such dissapintment Phone Post
2/2/14 5:22 AM
newjack900
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Fella - 

Time for Helwani to Retire - he's past his prime and has been defeated by the new breed  of reporters like  Karyn Bryant or Kevin Iole.

These new reporters are just more well rounded - are good no matter where the interview goes! They can keep it cordial or down right nasty - as Areil was simply one dimensional with his weak trolling.

Helwani just didnt train hard enough - he kept to his same looping questions and easy to predict set-up.  These reporters in todays age bring a high intensity that keeps the viewers mesmorized!

He had his time - but the game's past him up, maybe Areil should start looking for a little "help" if you know what I mean .....maybe a little Horse meat ....or a Megaphone.

Lol did I read this right? Kevin Iole is the 'new' breed?
2/2/14 5:52 AM
MSP

The Fella - 

LOL@ Kevin iole new breed.

Also karyn bryant has got to be the most annoying journalis in mma. Her voice is annoying, her laugh is annoying, her sucking up is annoying and her questions aren't even that good/interesting.
2/2/14 6:03 AM
dojo stormer

Black Belt, Sydney, NSW, Aus.
he always seemed to be a smug fuck
2/2/14 6:05 AM
MMOZ

Has anything more come out about whether or not he still has his job? Could get messy for Dana.

2/2/14 9:11 AM
Brian J DSouza

Seems impossible to work for FOX and not need a great relationship with the UFC/FOX.

Good news is Ariel is still with "UFC Tonight": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFet6rbfQvs
2/2/14 9:37 AM
crowbar
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Art School Helwani?

2/2/14 10:00 AM
Big Wes
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom O'Bedlam -

People like him get slapped where I come from.

VU

That guy has always rubbed me wrong Phone Post 3.0
2/2/14 10:04 AM
Big Wes
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he does good (not great) interviews, I also believe he is incredibly knowledgable about the sport.

He is not a polished tv personality, he makes me feel uncomfortable watching him.

At least once on every show when watching him you say to yourself "obnoxious".

Keep in mind, I annoy the fuck out of people; so please believe that I know what I am talking about. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.