UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Thomson: Benson not strong, doesn't hit hard

2/6/14 10:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Josh Thomson appeared on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, following a controversial split decision loss to Benson Henderson on Jan. 25 at UFC on Fox 10.

“Every time he got close to me, I felt like I was able to get to the body lock and just take him down," said Thomson, as transcribed by Sherdog. "All the things that I had in my mind with him being strong, being a hard kicker, all those things, they weren’t true. I put those in my head just from listening to commentary and from other people talking about how hard he kicks or how strong he is and these types of things. We got in there and locked up the first couple of times and I didn’t feel intimidated at all."

"Let me just tell you, he’s not strong. He doesn’t hit hard. He’s not strong. He doesn’t kick hard. All those things -- none of those things apply. He’s a good athlete. He’s a good fighter. I’ll give him a lot of credit, but the things that people think hurt didn’t hurt at all.”

“I actually gave myself three rounds to two, and then when I watched it when I came back, I could see people giving me four to one. I could have seen that, but I’m a little bit more critical of myself and I gave myself three-two.”

Thomson said he went into the fight with a bone chip in his ankle, and broke his right hand in the first round.

"When you’re fighting a left-handed fighter, everything comes off your right hand lead," explained Thomson. "And given what was going on with my right hand, it just felt like all my setups, everything I’d been training and practicing and drilling came off of that right hand lead. It wasn’t something I was really, I guess, mentally prepared for. It kind of just frustrated me and really got to me."

“It happened in the first round. I couldn’t tell you exactly when it happened in the first round. All I know is I got back to the corner, and the commissioner was standing right there and Javi goes, ‘Why aren’t you throwing your punches? You’ve got to let your hands go more.’ … I said, ‘Something’s wrong with my hand.’ I looked down and I pushed a little on my thumb, and the commissioner was standing right there, my corners were standing there, and my whole thumb just kind of flopped back towards my wrist. It almost put me in shock. … It kind of disgusted me, like, man, what’s going on? I just knew it hurt. I didn’t know the severity of it until I saw it flop back, and the commissioner even looked away.

"He grimaced and looked away and was like, ‘Hey, you want me to stop the fight?’ There’s not really anything you can do about it. Let’s just see what happens.”

Listen to entire interview... (39:27 mark)

2/6/14 10:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
General Tao
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He won the fight hands down Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 10:15 AM
kungfugrip
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

said the guy with lose on his recorded.
2/6/14 10:28 AM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had Josh winning but it was close and like always, Benson got the benefit of the doubt. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 10:34 AM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - lol. Out of all the "robberies" you guys go on about, this one's probably my favourite

Who knows what would have happened if Josh didn't break his hand, but he did and he very clearly lost the fight. Phone Post 3.0

It wasn't a robbery, but, Lmao at "very clearly lost"!   

2/6/14 10:44 AM
NHBDaddy
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope Thomson doesn't retire
2/6/14 10:46 AM
Vindell
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - I had Josh winning but it was close and like always, Benson got the benefit of the doubt. Phone Post 3.0

I had Bendo winning but it was close and like always, Benson gets discredited like every other win he has had.
2/6/14 10:47 AM
ender852
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

does he make weird girl noises when he fights like Thomson?

ps, Bendo whupped your ass

2/6/14 10:49 AM
the islander
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vindell -
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - I had Josh winning but it was close and like always, Benson got the benefit of the doubt. Phone Post 3.0

I had Bendo winning but it was close and like always, Benson gets discredited like every other win he has had.
This Phone Post
2/6/14 10:53 AM
1800champagne

He beat Gil and Bendo. He should be fighting Pettis next. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 10:58 AM
FEDORallDAY
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1800champagne - He beat Gil and Bendo. He should be fighting Pettis next. Phone Post 3.0
LOL

Yeah he beat Gil in a split decision 6 years ago, and Gils beat his ass twice since then... But nice try. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:08 AM
caseharts
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Benson fights to finish you guys are retarded. Just because you aren't seeing a finish doesn't mean he's not trying. He went for a standing arm triangle. It was closer than any choke Thompson had. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:10 AM
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FEDORallDAY - 
1800champagne - He beat Gil and Bendo. He should be fighting Pettis next. Phone Post 3.0
LOL

Yeah he beat Gil in a split decision 6 years ago, and Gils beat his ass twice since then... But nice try. Phone Post 3.0

Obviously you didn't see their third fight.  In no way, shape or form did "Gil beat his ass" in that one.  In fact, most people thought Melendez lost and got a gift decision.

2/6/14 11:16 AM
ranier wolfcastle
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess the commissioner was not obligated to stop the fight over a broken hand?

2/6/14 11:23 AM
ender852
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 -
ender852 - 

Bendo whupped his ass?

Do these guys even watch the fights?

Bendo out struck him like 7 to 1 and they both got 4 takedowns, what would you call it?
Seems like an ass whuppin to me. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:24 AM
ender852

I did feel that Thomson beat Gil in their third fight though Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:29 AM
ender852

Gave josh round 1 and 4 but that's it Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:29 AM
FEDORallDAY
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar -
FEDORallDAY - 
LOL

Obviously you didn't see their third fight.  In no way, shape or form did "Gil beat his ass" in that one.  In fact, most people thought Melendez lost and got a gift decision.

Melendez won the 2nd and 3rd fights imo and many would agree with me but I'm not here to argue that. Found it funny that this guy says Thomson beat Gil when it was 6 fucking years ago and having gone 0-2 v Gil since then. And since we're just throwing official decisions out the window in this thread most people say Gil beat Hendo too so is he the true lightweight champion?? Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:30 AM
shatefak

If he wasnt strong, why was the fight so close? I hate it when losers complain. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:37 AM
ender852

i used to like the punk, but after all this bitching and moaning i don't anymore

2/6/14 11:42 AM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shatefak - If he wasnt strong, why was the fight so close? I hate it when losers complain. Phone Post 3.0
Broken hand might have had something to do with it. I don't know...just a guess. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 11:54 AM
ausgepicht

And Thomson illustrates the reason he is the fighter with more decisions back to back in the HISTORY of the UFC, and perhaps MMA. He's the most boring fighter in the sport - amongst heterosexuals, of course.

He's an athlete who fights safe and more concerned with influencing the crowd and judges. It's a MAJOR part of his game. BORING. Cut him.

2/6/14 12:18 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - 
shatefak - If he wasnt strong, why was the fight so close? I hate it when losers complain. Phone Post 3.0
Broken hand might have had something to do with it. I don't know...just a guess. Phone Post 3.0

Lol! VU.

2/6/14 12:21 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - lol. Out of all the "robberies" you guys go on about, this one's probably my favourite

Who knows what would have happened if Josh didn't break his hand, but he did and he very clearly lost the fight. Phone Post 3.0
This was my reaction as well. I stayed off the UG and twitter during the fight, and I scored it 3-2 Bendo. I thought it was pretty close, but that Ben won. I thought Henderson vs Gil was much closer.

I was surprised to see the uproar from fans after the decision. Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 12:36 PM
caseharts
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Pitbull3744 -
ender852 - 
Pitbull3744 -
ender852 - 

Bendo whupped his ass?

Do these guys even watch the fights?

Bendo out struck him like 7 to 1 and they both got 4 takedowns, what would you call it?
Seems like an ass whuppin to me. Phone Post 3.0

Ok besides your little stats did that fight look like an ass whoopin to you?  Josh won that fight sorry to tell you.  The sad thing is  you dont even have to be a genius to look at that fight and see who won.  

Casehearts usually i agree with your assessments but Benson doesnt try to finish, you take one sub he did to prove he is a finisher and that just shows how much of a finisher he isnt lol.  The guy doesnt punch to win doesnt take you down and go for all sorts of subs like say J-Lau and he just grinds out controversial decisions.  The proof is right there.  

Why do Condit and J-Lau have the highest finishing rate, what are they the luckiest guys on the roster?  DO they fight cans?  No and No they go for the kill and get it.  

The quality off opponents for Bendo vs jlau is pretty clear. Bendo has a way different style. J lau is amazing but that's not a good comparison.

Condit goes for the kill a lot but he knows when to have a smart safe fight too. Bendo goes for the finish but no he doesn't their bungalows. He does go for subs and does have crazy ground and pound.

Who has finished gil? Who has finished Nate? Who has finished edgar? Who has finished a lot of Bens opponents? Not a lot of people. Nates been finished one time.

Just because a guy doesn't fish doesn't mean he isn't trying. You really think guys want decisions? You can see Bendo is exciting and is willing to give up position for a lot of stuff. He even went for a sweet guillotine against Thompson if I remember correctly.

At the top of the lw division it's not easy to finish everyone. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.