UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana White: Chris Leben has never paid taxes

2/6/14 1:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taz Styles
3366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/haymaker/dana-white-retired-ufc-star-chris-leben-has-never-paid-taxes-013014

Dana White: Retired UFC star Chris Leben has never paid taxes 

Chris Leben might be retired from MMA, but he's not done fighting. The former UFC star's next big bout is going to be with the IRS.

UFC president Dana White said Thursday that Leben has "some minor tax issues?? like he's never paid his taxes." That's right. Never. Leben is 33 years old and has been in the UFC since 2005.

"He has years of back taxes to pay," White said at UFC 169 media day at Madison Square Garden.

Leben retired from the UFC after a loss to Uriah Hall at UFC 168 on Dec. 28. After getting rocked by the faster, more explosive and younger Hall near the end of the first round, Leben wisely called it quits and didn't come back into the fight. Shortly after, he announced his retirement.

White said Leben texted him Thursday, but he had yet to get back to him. Maybe he needs a loan.

This week, Leben opened up in a raw interview with former UFC fighter Frank Trigg for MMA Odds Breaker. He said he spent much of the money he made in the UFC on illegal drugs and, since getting clean, he no longer has the fire to compete in the Octagon.

"The way I fought, I didn't give a f**k," Leben said. "I didn't give a sh*t. You know what I'm saying? F**k this, I can die tomorrow. Let's go out there and kill this guy."

Leben is now the head coach at Victory MMA & Fitness in San Diego. He's going to need all of that income, because Uncle Sam is likely to come calling very soon.

"Imagine never paying your taxes," White said incredulously.

2/6/14 1:31 PM
MMA Playwright
852 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is not good.
2/6/14 1:34 PM
Ramon Maroni
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ruh-Roh
2/6/14 1:34 PM
kingjames100
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Imagine never paying your taxes,"

I do all the time.
2/6/14 1:35 PM
Sergio88
502 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow I wonder how much he owes in back taxes $50,000? Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 1:38 PM
Card
2261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure Leben loves that this is public news. =\

2/6/14 1:38 PM
MMA Playwright
852 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just googled and found one card in 2010 where he made $60,000 on that one fight alone. There's no telling how much he owes.
2/6/14 1:39 PM
Largenj

Looks like he will be fighting again... Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 1:42 PM
marrilia
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 otn bonuses on top of his show/win money as well Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 1:42 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sergio88 - Wow I wonder how much he owes in back taxes $50,000? Phone Post 3.0

LOL probably a lot more than that..

We are going back to TUF 1 so thats what 2006?

7 years with taxes!!!

Add up every fight pay plus bonuses and by the time the IRS is done with him, hes going to wish it was a flat $50K penalty!

2/6/14 1:47 PM
Stu Cazzo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card -

I'm sure Leben loves that this is public news. =\

It was from an interview with Trigg Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 1:47 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$92K vs Wand

$46K vs Stann

$86K vs Akiyama + another $75K for bonus

$46K  vs Munoz

$70K vs Aaron Simpson + $25K bonus

You see where this is going!

2/6/14 2:01 PM
Attila
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boggles my mind how someone can think this is an OK thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he serves time in prison.
2/6/14 2:05 PM
sadic1

People do seem to get away with this for long periods of time sometimes...when they aren't outed by their former employer in a national media outlet. Between what he didn't pay and the fines and interest, there's no way this will be less than 100k, probably much more.
triso
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If true that is sad.
RickStorm
1883 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

I wonder if he filed and never paid, or just blew it off completly

either way, it dont sound good

2/6/14 2:07 PM
Chromium
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surely he could give Leben a gig or something to help him out? Maybe as a TUF analyst? Or as a spokesman for a UFC intervention program to train at-risk youths in MMA?

Leben was a pretty important part of that first season of TUF, and his mid-season feud with Josh Koscheck helped hook a lot of the people that stuck around to see the amazing Finale with Bonnar and Griffin. Maybe help the guy out a bit?

2/6/14 2:09 PM
rexthedog
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure how it works in the US but I'd presume that he can deduct expenses and then his liability would be on what's left, once you factor in cost of the camp, payments to manager etc it will make a big difference Vs looking at the top line figure

BUT still a fucking awful position to be in

Should the UFC, or maybe fighters managers, perhaps have a duty of care to the fighters to ensure they are aware of their responsibilities? Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 2:09 PM
chrisbaker

Does he have a pay pal account? Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 2:11 PM
jacktripper

Attila - Boggles my mind how someone can think this is an OK thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he serves time in prison.
Not justifying just explaining:

he's an addict Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 2:18 PM
OuTkAsTTTTT69

chrisbaker - Does he have a pay pal account? Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 2:33 PM
Mdson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here in Finland, you just go to the internet (or make a phone call) and say an estimate how much your going to make within a year. They send you a "tax card" with your tax % which you give to your employer. The employer does the rest and the tax deduction % is automatically applied to your salary. If you don't provide a tax card to your employer, they automatically take 50% away (minimum).

It's a pretty damn easy system, but I guess it's not possible in a big ass country like the States.
2/6/14 2:33 PM
fryabusa
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumb question coming. Ufc doesn't withhold taxes from fighter pay? Phone Post 3.0
2/6/14 2:35 PM
LittleJoeMama
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kingjames100 - "Imagine never paying your taxes,"

I do all the time.

lol
2/6/14 2:38 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami

Musashi - Way to publicize the fact Dana. Any chance the IRS wouldn't fuck with him, is now gone.

This is one of my major issues with Dana.

Hes his own biggest fan and he just absolutely relishes the limelight and loves hearing himself speak.

Its at the point I honestly think he just cant help himself!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.