UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I am a felon for Copyright Infringing - AMA

2/13/14 1:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Mouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/13/14 1:18 PM

Above are some links to public court docs.  There are more out there but I think you will get a good idea of what happened.

Let the Qs fly. 

I AM AT WORK SO I MAY GET SLOW REPLYING FROM TIME TO TIME.

2/13/14 1:22 PM
HalfThisGameIs90PercentMental
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't you just tell us instead? Phone Post 3.0
UGCTT croy_00
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess my first question is how do you feel, knowing in prison you may have to dart your tongue into another man's WFA?

170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mean details man that would prob answer most questions. Phone Post 3.0
2/13/14 1:23 PM
The Mouth

UGCTT croy_00 - 

I guess my first question is how do you feel, knowing in prison you may have to dart your tongue into another man's WFA?

Its related to this thread about STREAMING.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts_updsub&forum=1&thread=2287144&page=1&pc=211

I promised I would do this here... today. 

2/13/14 1:23 PM
The Mouth

HalfThisGameIs90PercentMental - I mean details man that would prob answer most questions. Phone Post 3.0

People seem to think they know everything about the laws regarding digital streaming/data.

I'm here to talk as someone who went through it. 

2/13/14 1:24 PM
Kirik
1931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

What did you take from the experience?

2/13/14 1:25 PM

The Mouth -
HalfThisGameIs90PercentMental - I mean details man that would prob answer most questions. Phone Post 3.0

People seem to think they know everything about the laws regarding digital streaming/data.

I'm here to talk as someone who went through it. 

Ok fair enough but why not give us the details and where you're at as far as charges, costs etc... Phone Post 3.0
2/13/14 1:29 PM
The Mouth

Kirik - 

What did you take from the experience?

Honestly... when it happened... I didn't even know what I was doing could ever really cause me any problems. 

However, with it all being over... I wish I would have just paid for it.  I got away with TERRABYTES of shit.... for YEARS....  Then I get busted for 10 tracks of an album they were tracing.

The FBI Came to my house, surrounded it... raided the place (I was 21) --- Took anything PC related... Keyboards, blank discs, hard drives, modems, monitors, etc.... I had to give a four hour deposition in my living room in my boxers.  Not to mention 6 months with an ankle bracelet, mulitple trips to Virigina, testifying for the RIAA in court on how I did what I did.

It wasn't worth it. 

2/13/14 1:32 PM
Ryan Williams
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you guys lifted some music that wasn't released, sold it, and were caught?

What was the extent of you cooperation with the FBI? Phone Post 3.0
2/13/14 1:34 PM
The Mouth

I'll tell you people who are streaming fights this much.

When I got in trouble... my case was heard in Virigina because Comcast cable said the shit I downloaded digitally passed through the Northern District of Virigina on the way to my house. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FIGHT THAT?  They have you by the balls once they have your IP Address.  They can make up anything they want... and if you can't disprove it you are screwed.

I didn't have "Monetary" gain from what I did... but they said if I paid market value for the archive I had... the damages would have been in the millions.  

All they have to prove in court is that you were intentionally trying to get around paying for said good.

If you stream and get caught you will not beat it.

2/13/14 1:36 PM
jagen

Edited: 02/13/14 1:37 PM
"Specifically, the Defendant conspired AND agreed to willfully infringe more than 10 copies of one or more copyrighted works with a total retail value of more than $2500 in a 180 day period, for purpose of financial gain, etc"

So you were ripping music and the group you were working for/with was selling it?
2/13/14 1:37 PM
The Mouth

Ryan Williams - So you guys lifted some music that wasn't released, sold it, and were caught?

No.  There was no theft and we never sold anything.  We traded files for files.

I had an in somewhere... I got a pre-release, I would upload it to a topsite and it would be sent around the world.  Back in the day if you checked the ID3 of an mp3 you got from KazAa or wherever my ripper name would be in there somewhere.  If you remember seeing files like 50_Cent-The_Massacre-2004-RNS ---- The RNS = Ripping group.  RNS stood for Rabid Neurosis. I was part of APC... Or "Apocalypse Production Crew"

In trade I got access to multiple sites that got releases as they came out... termed 0sec sites.  Which meant I had it before ANYONE... and it was full albums. Every time.

2/13/14 1:39 PM
The Mouth

jagen - "Specifically, the Defendant conspired AND agreed to willfully infringe more than 10 copies of one or more copyrighted works with a total retail value of more than $2500 in a 180 day period, for purpose of financial gain, etc"

So you were ripping music and the group you were working for/with was selling it?

No.  Never sold anything.

The multiple copies they refer to in the documents is digitally reproducing them to other FTP sites.

If I have something on my computer and we copy it to yours and now there are two... They look at it the same way as if we burned them.

The sites that stream will get in trouble for "Reproducing" however many copies of a PPV as logged on users. 

Boxerdog
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You say stream and get caught, but you also said you got caught with millions worth of content. My question is, did you get caught for streaming or downloading? Phone Post 3.0
Jason
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin

How much jail time you looking at?

2/13/14 1:40 PM
jagen

The Mouth - 
Ryan Williams - So you guys lifted some music that wasn't released, sold it, and were caught?

I had an in somewhere... I got a pre-release, I would upload it to a topsite and it would be sent around the world.  Back in the day if you checked the ID3 of an mp3 you got from KazAa or wherever my ripper name would be in there somewhere.  If you remember seeing files like 50_Cent-The_Massacre-2004-RNS ---- The RNS = Ripping group.  RNS stood for Rabid Neurosis. I was part of APC... Or "Apocalypse Production Crew"

In trade I got access to multiple sites that got releases as they came out... termed 0sec sites.  Which meant I had it before ANYONE... and it was full albums. Every time.

This has nothing to do with streaming a PPV. Distributing music over the interwebs is completely different from clicking a link to watch a video/stream.
2/13/14 1:41 PM
The Mouth

jagen - 
The Mouth - 

This has nothing to do with streaming a PPV. Distributing music over the interwebs is completely different from clicking a link to watch a video/stream.

I explained how it is relevant in a future post.

A stream is a reproduction. 

epwar
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Were the poor corporations you stole from ever able to fully recover from this great harm you did to them?

jagen

No, reproducing content is considered reproduction....sorry
2/13/14 1:42 PM
The Mouth

Boxerdog - You say stream and get caught, but you also said you got caught with millions worth of content. My question is, did you get caught for streaming or downloading? Phone Post 3.0

I got in trouble for "Conspiracy to commit copyright infringement"

Meaning I was a group that made copyrighted material available to someone who wouldnt be purchasing it. 

2/13/14 1:42 PM
The Super Bean
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
2/13/14 1:43 PM
The Mouth

Edited: 02/13/14 1:42 PM
jagen - No, reproducing content is considered reproduction....sorry

Your opinion isn't valid here.

I sat in the US Attorneys office and he explained how all of this works to me.

If you want to jaw about your opinions call your mother.  I'm sure she is curious. 

2/13/14 1:44 PM
Ace5002
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What made you participate in this activity? Was there any monetary gain, or were being a modern day Robin Hood so to speak? Phone Post 3.0
2/13/14 1:44 PM
The Mouth

Jason - 

How much jail time you looking at?

Initially it was 6 months... but they motioned for a downward departure.  I got 2 years probation and 100 hours community service.

My roommate did 1 month hard time in a federal prison in Minnesota and 3 months at a half way house. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.