UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nate Quarry verbally murders the UFC

2/17/14 6:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GayGuardMooseSaucy
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People have no clue from the outside what it's like to fight for the UFC. After spending 10-15 years chasing your dream only to see that the company it's been your dream to fight for cares nothing about the fighters and only cares about the bottom line.

When I was fighting for the UFC we got X-Mas presents like an iPod. A very bottom of the line iPod but it was still cool. Now the guys get a gift certificate to the UFC store and can use it ONE day. Any money they don't spend on that day is forfeited.

A fighter gets to use the gym at the hotel he's fighting at for free. The cornermen and everyone with him have to pay. So I'm helping Leben make weight the day of weigh ins and have to pay to go sit in the sauna with him. The UFC couldn't say, "The fighter gets 3 people to go into the gym with him the week of the fight."

That's just nickel and dime stuff.

I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity to fight for the UFC and everything I have besides my daughter has come from fighting. But let's not fool ourselves. It's not a charity. It's a business. And they are doing everything they can to make money. The fighters are just a product to use and discard. Every up and coming fighter is the best ever. Every ex-fighter who then expresses an opinion is a coward, loser, etc, etc. Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 6:47 PM
Brigham
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rut roh Phone Post
victorpoprock
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah this was posted a few days ago Phone Post 3.0
Morpheus1976
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and lets not forget about the head trauma and brain injuries.
Hikikomori
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol...

dana stern, chris27, and mmalogic have been alerted
2/17/14 6:49 PM
Stu Cazzo
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Zuffa take care of this guy's back problems that he received pre UFC?

I forget... It was long ago and I seem to remember him facing early retirement because of that. Phone Post 3.0
Rudi

Hikikomori - lol...

dana stern, chris27, and mmalogic have been alerted
Lol'd @ Dana Stern Phone Post 3.0
MMAzombie

I agree
Nothing contradicts what he is saying Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 6:53 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/17/5420508/former-ufc-fighter-nate-quarry-the-ufc-cares-nothing-about-the Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 6:54 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

When I signed with the UFC this is what I was told"

We can't pay you much but you can have any sponsors you want.

Then: We need to approve your sponsors.

Then: You can't have any conflicting sponsors.

Then: You can't thank your sponsors after fights.

Then: We are not approving any sponsors that we don't like their product.

Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $50,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you.

Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $100,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you. Phone Post 3.0
GayGuardMooseSaucy

If a sponsor has a budget of 10k to sponsor a fighter, they are then out. If there are 5 shorts companies in the UFC you can only go to them for a sponsorship. If they have spent their budget or don't want to support an up and coming fighter they give you shorts instead of money. If you're fighting for $6,000 to show and fighting 3 times a year, even $500 makes a big difference. When there is no competition they don't have to pay you. I lost And1 as a sponsor when the UFC enacted the tax. Phone Post 3.0
Melvin Junko

Going to see more and more stories like this from ex fighters in the future.
2/17/14 6:55 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

At the UFC summit a fighter asked if he could wear his own shirt. Dana laughed and said, "Uh... we can talk about it." I turned around and asked the UFC lawyer if I could wear my OWN shirt and he said, "Sure, give me $50,000 and we can talk about it." Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 6:56 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

I fought for the world title for $10,000. Not a penny more. No bonus. No cut of the PPV. The gate alone was 3.5 million dollars. The third highest gate in UFC history at the time. And they must have loved the fight cuz they show the final punch at the start of EVERY UFC PPV. :-)

And that's fine. Because it's a business. But sooner or later the allure of fighting in the UFC will not be as attractive as fighting for an organization that takes care of you, appreciates you, will let you have sponsors to help make up the income gap, doesn't trash you when you think for yourself, and on and on. Just like every business you work for. It's funny to me to hear people cheer for Dana when he says things that if he was your boss and he said them about you, you would be looking for another job. But when you're signed to a contract, you can't go anywhere. No matter how much you want to. Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 6:57 PM
AlphaMaleJP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couldn't agree more. The big problem with mma is the difference between fan perception and reality. If you've ever trained at any gym you would realize how difficult it is for fighters on their way up (smokers, amateur circuit, regional promotions) and even when they make it in the big time (UFC , Bellator etc). The fact is fighters are probably the most underpaid athletes in the world, not to mention they are usually only as valuable as their last fight. They are expendable and replaceable in the eyes of the promotions. UFC is in the FIGHTING business not the FIGHTER business. All you have to do is look at Dana White's attitude towards fighters such as: GSP, Overeem, and countless others. Hopefully some day a fighter's union will form, but as long as the promotions have their way that will never happen. It will take a plethora of Big Stars to team up and help look out for the up and comers at the potential cost of their own jobs, so it is very unlikely to ever happen. Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 6:57 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Sorry for breaking them up. Final quote

When I retired I received a form letter, EMAILED to me that said, "Should you choose to fight again you are still under contract with the UFC." I didn't even get a hard copy with a real signature that I could frame.

As I said, I love what the UFC has done for me and my family. And specifically what Dana has done for me.
But I also know it's a business. And that's the best piece of advice I can give to wanna be fighters. Fight for the love of the game. But you better treat it like a business. Because the promoter handing you a contract sure will. Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 7:01 PM
1a1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont get why its taken people so long to wise up. Without a rival org they will continue to behave this way Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 7:02 PM
Stu Cazzo

GayGuardMooseSaucy - I fought for the world title for $10,000. Not a penny more. No bonus. No cut of the PPV. The gate alone was 3.5 million dollars. The third highest gate in UFC history at the time. And they must have loved the fight cuz they show the final punch at the start of EVERY UFC PPV. :-)

And that's fine. Because it's a business. But sooner or later the allure of fighting in the UFC will not be as attractive as fighting for an organization that takes care of you, appreciates you, will let you have sponsors to help make up the income gap, doesn't trash you when you think for yourself, and on and on. Just like every business you work for. It's funny to me to hear people cheer for Dana when he says things that if he was your boss and he said them about you, you would be looking for another job. But when you're signed to a contract, you can't go anywhere. No matter how much you want to. Phone Post 3.0

This is fucked up no matter how you slice it....

2/17/14 7:03 PM
Stu Cazzo

1a1 - I dont get why its taken people so long to wise up. Without a rival org they will continue to behave this way Phone Post 3.0

There were plenty of rivals around in Nate's days...

2/17/14 7:08 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Stu Cazzo -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - I fought for the world title for $10,000. Not a penny more. No bonus. No cut of the PPV. The gate alone was 3.5 million dollars. The third highest gate in UFC history at the time. And they must have loved the fight cuz they show the final punch at the start of EVERY UFC PPV. :-)

This is fucked up no matter how you slice it....

Yeah I hope that's a zuffa era record for lowest pay in a title fight. $10,000......are you fucking kidding me? Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 7:08 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems that at some point in the last couple years they hired a bunch of suits with fancy ideas to increase their bottom line.

Since then they've been doing everything they can do negotiate lower contracts and other "cost saving measures".

It is a cancer.

The same suits wanted the 5$ increase.

Yeah, fighters have "insurance" now... but it seems a bunch of them are taking pay cuts come re-negotiations.

Give from one hand and take from the other. The typical symptom of an unhealthy organization.

These is so much to criticize the UFC for and it's not getting better.
2/17/14 7:13 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight

U Fight Cheap.

2/17/14 7:14 PM
The Sultan
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The sponsorship fee is the one i feel was the worst blow to the fighters. It was truly the only way some guys could really make some bank. I dont even get why it was out in place other than greed.

The UFC makes plenty of money. There was really no need to invoke this insanely high sponsorship fee. It basically cut out a lot of the smaller clothing companies and left the lower tier fighters with a huge income defecit. Pretty appalling.

Yet Cindy O and the UFC brash make it seem like the fighters make SO MUCH money. I really dont understand how they can say that with a straight face.

Let the fighters get their sponsors so some of them can actually make some bank. Jesus wtf.

They already have to live with the fear that if they lose, theyll be cut, if they say the wrong thing on twitter, theyll be cut.

Just sickening. Phone Post 3.0
2/17/14 7:20 PM
Dana Stern

He was paid to do a contracted job what else does he expect. If I'm contracted to build a landscape wall in someone's yard that person doesn't pay me and take care of me after the jobs done. Plus he was around when the sport was very young and just making money fighters didn't have insurance I don't think. Oh well he can have an opinion just sounds like he's doing it because it's the cool thing to do right now. Phone Post
2/17/14 7:20 PM
AlbertEinstein

1a1 - I dont get why its taken people so long to wise up. Without a rival org they will continue to behave this way Phone Post 3.0

But we need to have the best fighters in the best org so they can point fight there way to some silly gaudy oversized belt that pro wrestling fans love so much.

This is what you will hear. A monopoly is fine so we can see the best fights, only we still can't. I would love to have at least 3 major organizations. If we have champs calling each other out so what? Cross promote or get over it. It doesn't really matter if 2 people never fight each other. Fedor never fought Brock. It doesn't matter. Real mma fans know he would have crushed Brock anyway.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.